Sevco

HMRC hit back at Rangers tax claims with stinging response

Reports suggested the taxman had overcharged Rangers by £50million but HMRC have denied the claims.

HMRC have denied claims they overcharged Rangers to the tune of £50million over the EBT scandal.

A report in The Times on Thursday suggested Rangers should only have been charged £20m for the use of EBTs between 2001 and 2010.

The initial figure of £70m was part of the debts that led to the sale of the Ibrox club to Craig Whyte and the eventual downfall of administration and liquidation of the old company.

That led to angry responses from Rangers supporters and club legends - including Ally McCoist who was manager at the time.

But now HMRC have taken the rare decision to comment on the allegation. The government department normally don't respond or make comments but made an exception on this case.

They took to Twitter to say: "As widely reported today and to clarify: HMRC won against Rangers’ tax avoidance in the Supreme Court, and did not miscalculate anything."

Yesterday, former Rangers boss McCoist slammed the claims and insisted the miscalculation would have cost jobs unnecessarily.

He said: It’s safe to say it’s the most traumatic time in Rangers Football Club’s history. If there’s mistakes being made then people have to answer questions.

"The legalities of it are still ongoing, I think Rangers won a couple of court cases then lost one.

"David Murray, but the EBTs go all the way back to 2000. A lot of clubs had them, there’s no doubt about it.

"A lot of people felt Rangers were a test case for HMRC, the fact of the matter is we’re reading the front page of The Times up in Scotland they reckon that the tax authorities have acknowledged they claimed too much from Rangers.

"We’re talking in the region of £50m.

"The figures they are speaking about, the claim was around £70m for using EBTs but that figure is now believed to be around £20m. It’s completely different outlook because that’s a debt Rangers could have handled.

"Nothing would have happened. Wouldn’t have gone into administration, wouldn’t have gone into liquidation.

"It was horrendous, the worst part of it was people have lost their jobs needlessly. It’s completely and utterly unacceptable. It really is."

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hmrc-hit-back-rangers-tax-20885971

Ally still thinks it is 2-1 to Rangers.

"The legalities of it are still ongoing, I think Rangers won a couple of court cases then lost one."

F**k me, a strong, virulent streak of journalism seems to have broken out at the Scottish Sun:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/4955264/rangers-hmrc-tax-case-ebt-expert/

This is all getting a bit incestuous - aren't the Times meant to be the bastions of proper journalism? Now their illiterate little brother is making them look like dicks.

Now they've gone after the Record:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/4959474/rangers-tax-case-hmrc-ebt-claim-not-true/

WARNING: SOME OF THESE SUN REPORTS MAY CONTAIN FACTS. THIS IS A NEW PHENOMENON, AND AS SUCH UNTESTED ON THE GENERAL PUBLIC. BEFORE READING, YOU ARE ADVISED TO MAKE SURE YOU ARE SEATED, HAVE A STIFF DRINK TO HAND AND A FAMILY MEMBER TO CONFIRM THAT YOU ARE NOT HALLUCINATING.

On 11/14/2019 at 3:38 PM, david mcbeth said:

In other  news I see that f**king numbat Neil Doncaster was awarded a £91k bonus by the clubs for doing such a good job. Presumably the clubs being SevCo and Sellick cos I can’t see who else would be happy with his performance. I genuinely bear that guy ill will.

I have heard Neil Doncaster favourite TV programme is Money for Nothing.

1 minute ago, Fudger said:

Clearly banking on a big fee for Morelos. Which they might get now. 

Sadly I think they will too. Lawell might have been rubbing his hands at the cash celtic received for Dembele and Tierney, however that'll have been noticed at Rangers. Not saying they have the same bargaining power or anything like the same financial position as the other lot but I'm sure they'll get a very sizeable fee for Morelos in the summer. 

1 minute ago, Dieter's Heeder said:

Sadly I think they will too. Lawell might have been rubbing his hands at the cash celtic received for Dembele and Tierney, however that'll have been noticed at Rangers. Not saying they have the same bargaining power or anything like the same financial position as the other lot but I'm sure they'll get a very sizeable fee for Morelos in the summer. 

If he keeps scoring for fun in Scotland and the Europa league they will get £20mil easily. Heard Aston Villa are looking at him. 

9 minutes ago, Scooby_Doo said:

If he is sold, it will be for an undisclosed fee.

The £15-20m figures are coming from the same sort of hacks that told you HMRC had 'blundered'.

That's Tierney money, who is a much better player and prospect.

Strikers as prolific as Morelos are hard to come by. I'm sure his performances in the Europa League won't have gone unnoticed 

Factor in that he seems to be less fiery tempered than he was, then £15-20m seems realistic. 

8 minutes ago, stewarty66 said:

Strikers as prolific as Morelos are hard to come by. I'm sure his performances in the Europa League won't have gone unnoticed 

Factor in that he seems to be less fiery tempered than he was, then £15-20m seems realistic. 

Rangers need money. Their accounts confirm that. 

If a buying club does due diligence they would not cave to their asking price and instead be able to dictate the fee. 

Imo, I think they'd realistically get around £5m-£6m (made of add ons etc). 

£20m is fanciful I'd have thought. 

They are desperate for cash so that should work against them in how much they get for Morelos. In contrast to that though there are plenty of teams desperate for a striker who will pay over the odds. The club have said they won’t sell but the player and his agent are dropping major hints that he is ready to move. IMO they’ll take over £12million plus add ons. 

31 minutes ago, piffer said:

They are desperate for cash so that should work against them in how much they get for Morelos. In contrast to that though there are plenty of teams desperate for a striker who will pay over the odds. The club have said they won’t sell but the player and his agent are dropping major hints that he is ready to move. IMO they’ll take over £12million plus add ons. 

Sevco are running on empty and losing in excess of £20k a week.  They may be able to get loans against their europa league money but it’s only delaying their implosion, unless they can sell a Morelos or someone else for serious money.

5 hours ago, stewarty66 said:

Based on the number of cards received?

He had plenty of wee petulant kicks a Rugby Park that the ref and linesman chose to ignore. Refs are now treating him in the same way as Scott Brown. Don't think his spots have changed much.

12 hours ago, Beaker71 said:

Sevco are running on empty and losing in excess of £20k a week.  They may be able to get loans against their europa league money but it’s only delaying their implosion, unless they can sell a Morelos or someone else for serious money.

More like £200k a week they are losing.

An £11m loss last year and another handout required of £10m to see out the season.

Another cracker in today's Record Hotline: 

The debate over the return of the Rangers tax case rumbles on.

“It didn't take long for the anger towards Rangers to seethe back to the surface. As the old saying goes: there are none so blind as those who will not see - especially if it does not fit their hate filled agenda.

“The angry mob continually fail to see that if Rangers' tax bill really was only £20 million, there would have been no Craig Whyte, no administration and no expulsion from the SPL.

“Rangers, as a company were turning over more than £50 million per year and had multi-million pound assets (as well as 49,000 fans every home game) and could comfortably have covered a £20 million tax bill.

“Those assets included international players in their prime, worth more than £50 million at that time and Murray Park was also owned by the club. Also, Sir David Murray offered £10-£12 million as a settlement, which was rejected by HMRC - unlike several Premier League clubs whose offers were accepted. But let's not allow evidence to get in the way of enmity.”

so why didn't he offer the £20 million?

If they could easily have paid 20 million they could have offered to pay back the 40-50 million over a period of time. Buy they weren't interested in any solution that would involved tightening their belts and living within their means.

"Rangers, as a company were turning over more than £50 million per year and had multi-million pound assets (as well as 49,000 fans every home game"

which makes it all the more remarkable that they were in such financial trouble. They are almost in a similar position now and still failing to balance the books. 

Edited by Prahakillie