James Fowler

Mojike and Bod

Would be delighted to have Fowler back in any capacity - does he have experience with transfers etc? Wonder what extent that was part of his role under Ross? 

If nothing else in the short term he'd bring a good knowledge of targets from the league he was just in. Friendly word to McGeouch wouldnt go amiss... 

5 minutes ago, mitch14 said:

Would be delighted to have Fowler back in any capacity - does he have experience with transfers etc? Wonder what extent that was part of his role under Ross? 

If nothing else in the short term he'd bring a good knowledge of targets from the league he was just in. Friendly word to McGeouch wouldnt go amiss... 

He'd have done it while boss at Queen of the South

4 minutes ago, CB said:

He'd have done it while boss at Queen of the South

Looking at his transfers at Queens, they'd be filed as underwhelming.

One or two gems (Marshall, Murdoch), a couple of his old teammates from Killie (Heffernan and Jacobs) and then a whole load of jobbers. If he was involved at Sunderland in transfers then they're not exactly a glowing recommendation either. 

1 minute ago, Fletch said:

Rangers operated for years with an MTV music exec and Celtic currently have what was essentially their goalkeeping coach in that role.

Fowler knows the club. He's liked by the fans. He has half decent experience as a manager. He's worked in a successful managerial team with Ross. He'll have developed contacts working at Sunderland. His understanding of the game in Scotland is probably as good as any in a similar role up here and he'll have seen how the role works having worked under a DoF at Sunderland.

I think his CV from a footballing perspective is pretty good for the role.

And I agree with that, DoF is as much to do with knitting the various football departments together and overseeing everything as it is about transfers. If his role is to be that, and we plan to appoint a chief scout to handle the transfers then I'm firmly behind it. If he's being tasked with bringing in the squad overhaul we'll need soon then I'm less optimistic.

Don’t see anything underwhelming about this appointment. It makes a lot of sense. Fowler is still young and had incredible amount of experience in Scotland and with us. Managed and done quite well and been the number 2 aswell. Like as a player he was versatile I think he could do well in this role. 

Certainly better than getting some old duffer in who has no ties to the club. Maybe the club is thinking longer term that he may be involved in first team affairs/manager.

13 minutes ago, Cill Mheàrnaig said:

And I agree with that, DoF is as much to do with knitting the various football departments together and overseeing everything as it is about transfers. If his role is to be that, and we plan to appoint a chief scout to handle the transfers then I'm firmly behind it. If he's being tasked with bringing in the squad overhaul we'll need soon then I'm less optimistic.

Quite sure Bowie said before he would be tasked with putting together a scouting team to bring in players at all levels with a more long term transfer strategy.

36 minutes ago, mitch14 said:

100% McGeoch.

Personally I’d be delighted to have him back at the club. He brings a lot to the table. A club legend. Experience as a player at the club, involved with the youth setup while he was here, management experience, assistant manager experience at different levels. He’ll have been involved in scouting and recruitment in his roles over the years and will have hopefully built up a decent network for himself. It’s a new And unexpected opportunity for him no doubt but we don’t know if he’s been looking towards a role like this

First reaction - would be delighted to see him back at the club. 

On reflection, does he have the skill set for the job? Do we, as was suggested above, want someone learning on the job? 

I thought this role was someone in overall control of the football side of the club, with even AA reporting to him? 

Fow seems a bit inexperienced for the role, but you could maybe say that of Mathie too.

Edited by skygod

1 minute ago, skygod said:

On reflection, does he have the skill set for the job? Do we, as was suggested, want someone learning on the job? 

I thought this role was someone in overall control of the football side of the club, with even AA reporting to him? 

Fow seems a bit inexperienced for the role, but you could maybe say that if Mathie too.

Who would you have went for then? Please remember we are not Chelsea.

1 minute ago, skygod said:

On reflection, does he have the skill set for the job? Do we, as was suggested, want someone learning on the job? 

Fow seems a bit inexperienced for the role, but you could maybe say that if Mathie too.

I felt the job being described was strategic across all areas of football development.

I think JF’s coaching across senior and youth as well as, I assume, scouting in Scotland and England leaves him well-placed.

Arguably some learning in-post but I think it’s a good appointment with potential for longer-term stability.

11 minutes ago, 18yardhero said:

Without knowing the job spec, it’s hard to say. 

Someone who has a plan and a vision for the playing side of the club from the Under 8s to the first team, and the drive and experience to implement it. 

Edited by skygod

2 minutes ago, 18yardhero said:

Off the top of my head, Donald Park. But there's a big bad football world out there, and having appointed a foreign coach the chance was also there to expand our horizons.

9 minutes ago, 18yardhero said:

The doubters can f**k off back with the fair weather fans who stopped supporting the club when Steve Clarke left.

I don't think anyone is saying he's s**te or will be hopeless, but there are legitimate doubts over certain aspects of the role and whether Fow is qualified for those. 

6 minutes ago, skygod said:

Without knowing the job spec, it’s hard to say. 

Someone who has a plan and a vision for the playing side of the club from the Under 8s to the first team, and the drive and experience to implement it. 

Certainly more than, as you put it, making sure that the reserves and youth are ticking over. 

I think Fowler will have this he’s been involved in the system at the club from the top to the bottom. By all accounts he has very high standards and has never been afraid to let people know when they are not up to scratch. Add to that his experience in different roles elsewhere. As you say there will be a degree of learning on the job but in our position we won’t be able to poach Ready made for the role from other clubs. Hibs are taking a risk with Mathie, County with Scott Boyd, Dundee United went for an ex agent. Even Hearts and Dundee had a substantial degree of risk in appointing experienced men like Levein and Strachan. 

11 minutes ago, Cill Mheàrnaig said:

Off the top of my head, Donald Park. But there's a big bad football world out there, and having appointed a foreign coach the chance was also there to expand our horizons.

I don't think anyone is saying he's s**te or will be hopeless, but there are legitimate doubts over certain aspects of the role and whether Fow is qualified for those. 

Gees peace. Nothing's ever good enough. Someone always knows better. There always doubters who like to get their oar in early just in case anything goes wrong so they can go back and say "told you so". Your "legitimate doubts" are anything but, we are who we are and we've made an appointment that those in charge believe will be up to the task. What makes you think you are in a position to pass judgement here? Are you an expert on football operations? If you think you are then why didn't you apply for the job instead of sewing the seeds of doubt about someone else?

5 minutes ago, piffer said:

I think Fowler will have this he’s been involved in the system at the club from the top to the bottom. By all accounts he has very high standards and has never been afraid to let people know when they are not up to scratch. Add to that his experience in different roles elsewhere. As you say there will be a degree of learning on the job but in our position we won’t be able to poach Ready made for the role from other clubs. Hibs are taking a risk with Mathie, County with Scott Boyd, Dundee United went for an ex agent. Even Hearts and Dundee had a substantial degree of risk in appointing experienced men like Levein and Strachan. 

Well said that man.