Davis Cup

skygod

Not thinking much of this new format.

Presumably in response to the top players' complaints about the intrusion of ties into their busy (and lucrative) calendar, it's being played over a week in Madrid. Best of three sets, best of three rubbers.

GB are playing Germany in a QF in a sparsely filled hangar. TV commentators talking up the format and atmosphere and saying, in the face of rows of empty seats, that it's one-third full. One-tenth would be generous, I'd say. 

Davis Cup ties used to be amongst the highlights of the schedule but this format will kill it. I can't see that tennis associations will be happy about the loss of revenue. 

13 minutes ago, skygod said:

Edmund has been a revelation, given his form this year.

GB one rubber away from the final, which I never thought possible without a firing Andy Murray.

Will probably come down to the doubles.

IMO there has been an agreement that Andy Murray would play one match, and the GB team would use his protected ranking to get into the tournament.  Hats of the the rest if the guys for how well they've played so far.