Liam Smith

Squirrelhumper

1 hour ago, Wrangodog said:

So instead of being part of the Kilmarnock team that beat Eintracht Frankfurt and won the league, Tommy McLean would have gone to Chelsea, Man City, or Liverpool, if he was playing today. 

Probably still would have been here .Let go by one of the infirm for being to small then maybe going on to win the champions league with Liverpool or one of the infirm shelling out £2 million plus for him 

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

It happens to bigger clubs too, Celtic lost their U17 captain to Bayern Munich for f**k all in the summer.

It happens all the way down the food chain as you say. It’s hard to fend off. Kids always attracted to bigger teams. Point is why are we not exploiting the same model in the lower leagues in Scotland? Poaching promising young kids after a few first team games, for peanuts?

1 hour ago, NorfolkG said:

BBC report future fees based on performance.

Quite surprised at that as I thought compensation was for development rather than potential.

Does cross border come into it at that age? Celtic manipulated that loophole with A slightly older Dembele who would have cost an English a couple of million

• 2 months later...
On 1/6/2020 at 1:38 PM, Wrangodog said:

So instead of being part of the Kilmarnock team that beat Eintracht Frankfurt and won the league, Tommy McLean would have gone to Chelsea, Man City, or Liverpool, if he was playing today. 

Tommy very nearly went to Chelsea from Killie but turned it down because he realised he was a home buddy. I laughed at the time, but it turned out to have been in his interests in the long run.

2 minutes ago, jasper said:

Tommy very nearly went to Chelsea from Killie but turned it down because he realised he was a home buddy. I laughed at the time, but it turned out to have been in his interests in the long run.

I disagree. Tommy was the best striker of a ball I have ever seen (even 50 years on and I include Beckham in my opinion). Had he gone to Chelsea and played on the opposite wing from Charlie Cooke, flighting perfect balls into Peter Osgood, John Hollins and Alan Hudson he would have been a revelation. Provincial boy from Ashgill opted for the Daily Record route to Ibrox, instead of the higher level which his talents merited.

21 minutes ago, jasper said:

....it turned out to have been in his interests in the long run.

Can you be so sure? 

He never won another cap after leaving Killie. 

Probably made a decent amount of money by contemporary standards and won a stack of medals, Including the ECWC. 

But I remember him being challenged for his position at various times by Bobby McKean, Davie Cooper and - God help us - even Cutty Young. 

I’ve got no idea how he would have developed at Chelsea but I think there's room for doubt.