Time for Bowie to step up

drmurray

I’m very happy with the progress the club is making off the park.

New Director of Football (with an acceptance that this role should have been in place sooner); Ambitious managerial appointment; experienced HR manager; experienced office manager with responsibilities for supporter engagement; building links with The Trust - and making improvements to the supporter experience with Trust cash; strong work being doing by Paul Di Giacomo’s team; award-winning social media.

Two honking performances have nothing to do with the general direction of the club. All of the above has been done in the past 6-12 months.

Edited by NorfolkG

25 minutes ago, NorfolkG said:

New Director of Football (with an acceptance that this role should have been in place sooner); Ambitious managerial appointment; experienced HR manager; experienced office manager with responsibilities for supporter engagement; building links with The Trust - and making improvements to the supporter experience with Trust cash; strong work being doing by Paul Di Giacomo’s team; award-winning social media.

Two honking performances have nothing to do with the general direction of the club. All of the above has been done in the past 6-12 months.

Correct..... As in life there seems to a very short term ism reaction to a loss in a few quarters , and losing a bit of perspective.

yes there is still issues that need addressed quickly on the park ......but overall the club is going in the right direction after so so many turgid years ...and the board deserve great credit for many of them helped by involvement from the Trust and fans who for those barren years were looked down on by the former Chairman.

Suppose it says a lot for how far the club has improved on and off the park in last few years that a couple of bad results sees such a reaction ......god forbid we ever get back to going on a long run of defeats and the off the field problems we endured under previous regimes.......and what reaction to that will be 

Edited by Scouser2

There seems no doubt that Fowler has been brought in to aid recruitment in January, which he will do. AA has been involved with massive clubs, he isn't just a rookie coach and will also know what needs to be addressed in this window. 

Yes, form has dipped recently but had anyone suggested after CQ at home that we would be sitting 5th around the turn of the year, and still in the mix for a Euro spot as well as above both Hibs and Hearts it would have seemed unlikely. 

Clearly new additions are required but they will come this time and enable us to have a decent 2nd half of the season. 

As others have said the board are now starting to get a lot of things right off the pitch, and also we have suffered a poor result and performance yesterday at a venue where we took 1pt out of 6 last season, and couldn't find the net in either game. 

Let's get to the break hopefully with some more points on the board and then see where the new players take us. 

20 hours ago, stewarty66 said:

We were pish at both Livi away games last season. 

Was Steve Clarke a major blunder too? 

Are you honestly trying to justify our performances by saying a 0-0 and 1-0 at Livi under SC (our only defeat under him from a side out with the 'big 5') is comparable to yesterday's result and performance?

SC's Killie time on the whole was greatly encouraging from first game to last, regardless of individual games, results or performances. 

So far AA's time on the whole has been discouraging. 

3 hours ago, NorfolkG said:

Good points. There is greater infrastructure now and less reliance on a couple of people as was case. Great. And a couple of bad performances should not be taken as indicative of alessio spell. However the club has missed a trick not to use the top 3 finish to kick on in the playing side. We had everyone behind us, the fans and even the media. We had caught the attention of the football world in a way I don’t think we’ve had in my time. I’m sure players that had never though of killie may have been more open to a move. No doubt that goodwill has dissipated. The performances in general have gone backwards. We didn’t invest ( relatively) big when we could have kicked on. The club will go on. We will be stable. We’ll be better as you say for the off the field processes. But unless we change the approach to recruitment, we will settle out as a bottom 6 club. Bowie said he wanted to challenge the old firm. Even if a little tounge in cheek, it was intent. Intent delivered through Clarke. Continued with the ambition of alessio appointment. But not demonstrated through player recruitment. The season so far has been flat and a little dissapointing.

17 minutes ago, Thebigguy68 said:

Good points. There is greater infrastructure now and less reliance on a couple of people as was case. Great. And a couple of bad performances should not be taken as indicative of alessio spell. However the club has missed a trick not to use the top 3 finish to kick on in the playing side. We had everyone behind us, the fans and even the media. We had caught the attention of the football world in a way I don’t think we’ve had in my time. I’m sure players that had never though of killie may have been more open to a move. No doubt that goodwill has dissipated. The performances in general have gone backwards. We didn’t invest ( relatively) big when we could have kicked on. The club will go on. We will be stable. We’ll be better as you say for the off the field processes. But unless we change the approach to recruitment, we will settle out as a bottom 6 club. Bowie said he wanted to challenge the old firm. Even if a little tounge in cheek, it was intent. Intent delivered through Clarke. Continued with the ambition of alessio appointment. But not demonstrated through player recruitment. The season so far has been flat and a little dissapointing.

I agree. I said after the last game of last season that I was disappointed that the club didn’t do a real drive to promote to the day tripper fans.

I didn’t realise the lack of infrastructure though.

We missed a major chance to push the club then - and again in the pre season. But it’s passed. That’s gutting but it is what it is.

The improvements hopefully will increase longer-term growth though, including MUCH more consistent player recruitment.

Edited by NorfolkG

17 hours ago, angus said:

Never been the same player  since he was taken right out the game at Hamilton,start of the season. 

Absolutely spot on, I said that day we would find out a lot about this lad after that assault, after Gouldson doing him at Ibrox then Porteous at Rugby Park, I’m not sure the lad fancies the Scottish game anymore.

6 hours ago, Guff92 said:

So because my opinion is different from yours, I don’t understand the game? Brilliant. 

Well, you seem to think Rory is not a good player. Rory is being asked to do a particular job on the pitch. It isn’t his preferred position and for me he does it bloody well. It’s what he does when we don’t have the ball that most people don’t see or understand and without that work rate we would have lost a lot more goals than we have.

9 minutes ago, CBFC said:

Well, you seem to think Rory is not a good player. Rory is being asked to do a particular job on the pitch. It isn’t his preferred position and for me he does it bloody well. It’s what he does when we don’t have the ball that most people don’t see or understand and without that work rate we would have lost a lot more goals than we have.

What’s his preferred position? 

15 minutes ago, CBFC said:

Rory is a selfless team player who does excellent off the ball running which you would expect at this level. But he does it and his fitness shines through. 

However I wouldn’t classify him as a good football player as technically he’s not the best but he’s a good athlete and contributes to team.

11 hours ago, killie billies pal said:

Absolutely spot on, I said that day we would find out a lot about this lad after that assault, after Gouldson doing him at Ibrox then Porteous at Rugby Park, I’m not sure the lad fancies the Scottish game anymore.

I don't remember him being particularly great last season either though.

He showed some potential in flashes: the substitute performance v Rangers and Celtic Park are examples. 

If he had been part of a mediocre team, rather than carried by the wave of Steve Clarke euphoria, I'm not sure that we would have been as excited about his return as we were. 

Edited by fraz65

25 minutes ago, Mclean07 said:

The crowds are up, but nothing like they should have been last season. We are getting the usual “BB stepping up to the plate” line, while TIK is an embarrassment compared to Motherwell and St Mirren. Their are a group of fans who want to contribute next to nothing, but expect business people to constantly dip into their own pockets, and us to sign quality players. Hears fans put in over a million pounds a year, compared to our paltry help. A massive difference even allowing for the relative size of supports.
The jury is out in Angelo. Still seems to me that the glaring lack of endorsements from players and the constant rumours still point to problems behind the scenes, whether it’s his fault or the players. He was let down badly by the Board in the summer and I think we are suffering from a complete lack of real competition for places. Hibs and Hearts are going to come back soon, so this isn’t going to get any easier. I look to Motherwell, who have put a great team together on (I would guess) less resources than us. 

By the way, remember we were promised replica retro shirts for sale by Christmas? 

Knocking those that put money into TIK is not a good road to go down. 

Yes it would be great to have more people contributing but don't slate those that already do. 

With the money from the Greg Taylor transfer, I would like to think that BB will "step up to the plate" and make some of those funds available in January. 

16 minutes ago, Mclean07 said:

We are getting the usual “BB stepping up to the plate” line, while TIK is an embarrassment compared to Motherwell and St Mirren.

Bowie has done a good job for the club. No question from me. He was the one that went on record saying he wants a league challenge though. This being the case ( or even if that means regularly challenging for Europe) we need a different approach to investment in the club. As you say, hearts and hibs will move forward. Simply having same approach to running the club as others will result in clubs with more direct resources finishing above us. We need to think differently from others to compete at high end. Radical approach.

I don’t know the detail (would love to) that you reference between TiK and others. I’m not sure a club that relies on this income has the basis for long term success. Fans should be that. Fans. The investment should be buying season tickets or match tickets. A scarf or hat. There should be no expectation of a fans investment beyond that. If others can and want to then do it, fine. Privately. I believe TiK has made an important contribution to the recent history of the club. Great. To draw a negative comparison with other clubs suggests an obligation for fans to “weigh in”. That heads in the direction of fan owned model. And that would would be end of any serious ambition for our club.

10 minutes ago, stewarty66 said:

Knocking those that put money into TIK is not a good road to go down. 

Yes it would be great to have more people contributing but don't slate those that already do. 

How was he doing that?

He was criticising those who don’t contribute. 

Saying that he was slating those who donate would be like blaming fans who attend matches for low gates! 

might be wrong but it did seem that BB was ready to back AA with more and better signings during the summer but for various reasons the deals did not get completed --- the winger from Man City turned a loan deal down at last minute when deal was about to be signed , that creative midfielder from Belgium ?  --failed the fitness test when over to complete the deal -- then we from various reports held preliminary talks with likes of Lafferty and another "high profile" striker but these went elsewhere

then AA was left with time ticking down and club had to bring in other options to fill in numbers rather than improve quality 

49 minutes ago, Mclean07 said:

The crowds are up, but nothing like they should have been last season. We are getting the usual “BB stepping up to the plate” line, while TIK is an embarrassment compared to Motherwell and St Mirren. Their are a group of fans who want to contribute next to nothing, but expect business people to constantly dip into their own pockets, and us to sign quality players. Hears fans put in over a million pounds a year, compared to our paltry help. A massive difference even allowing for the relative size of supports.
The jury is out in Angelo. Still seems to me that the glaring lack of endorsements from players and the constant rumours still point to problems behind the scenes, whether it’s his fault or the players. He was let down badly by the Board in the summer and I think we are suffering from a complete lack of real competition for places. Hibs and Hearts are going to come back soon, so this isn’t going to get any easier. I look to Motherwell, who have put a great team together on (I would guess) less resources than us. 

By the way, remember we were promised replica retro shirts for sale by Christmas? 

Motherwell seem to generate higher revenue than we do. Our crowds are similar and I don't recall them making any major player sales, other than the defender they sold to Wigan. 

Screenshot_20191209-215626_Gallery.jpg

9 minutes ago, troonkilliefan said:

End of ambition ?

As far as I know Barcelona is actually owned by their fans 

Knew that would come up. There are a few differences in our situation and certainly the financial reach of over 100,000 is a factor in this success. It’s doesnt really translate for us unfortunately.