RossCo away, Fred

CB

6 hours ago, piffer said:

We can bring up Stewart, JJ, Boyd, McAleny, Erwin. The sad truth is an untried youngster like Ndjoli who most weren’t that fussed about contributed more last season than Sow, Jackson and St Clair have combined so far this. 

There’s no doubt about that. This is the biggest failing of AA as far as I’m concerned. All three of these signings have been pointless and have added nothing to the squad. I expected him to be able to identify and recruit better strikers than these three. 

18 minutes ago, historyman said:

There’s no doubt about that. This is the biggest failing of AA as far as I’m concerned. All three of these signings have been pointless and have added nothing to the squad. I expected him to be able to identify and recruit better strikers than these three. 

The only disappointment of the three has been St Clair. I like others had high hopes for him but he can’t get near the team despite our attacking frailties. Sow for me was a panic. It was understandable but still a panic. Perhaps the best bet would have been to take our time and explore the free agent market properly. But our efforts in that area turned up Jackson who has offered next to nothing as well. Both will end up classed with Michael Ngoo, Mark Stewart, Ben Hutchison, Nathan Eccleston amongst others though at the current rate with less goals. 

44 minutes ago, cdj said:

Imho , in many of our games this season, we have created few goal scoring opportunities for our lone striker...... so don't think our lack of goals is SOLELY down to the quality of our attacking options.

our middle three are too similar, none of them have the legs to get up and support Brophy, or indeed go beyond. 

the main difference last year was that we had some pace and jones to make ground quickly.

Del Fabro for me is better all round than Broadfoot. At times we are missing that dark side Broadfoot brought to the game but when we’ve been able to put SOD, Del Fabro, Findlay and Hamalainen on the park at the same time IMO we have looked a better defensive unit than any side we’ve had in recent years. 

44 minutes ago, Gaz of the 20/20 said:

Kirk Broadfoot? Seriously? 

I like Del Fabro and I do think he is a better player than Broadfoot.

However, maybe due to the way his leaving was taken by most of the fans it would seem, there is a huge amount of retrospective changing of history making here.

Broadfoot was brilliant for us over the past couple of seasons. Was great as far as being a nigley, old head, aggressive, solid pro and really helped to bring players like Findlay along.

I wish people would remember this.

24 minutes ago, KillieBus said:

I like Del Fabro and I do think he is a better player than Broadfoot.

However, maybe due to the way his leaving was taken by most of the fans it would seem, there is a huge amount of retrospective changing of history making here.

Broadfoot was brilliant for us over the past couple of seasons. Was great as far as being a nigley, old head, aggressive, solid pro and really helped to bring players like Findlay along.

I wish people would remember this.

He was brilliant for us - but the some of the same things being said in the Brophy thread also apply to Broadfoot - the system boosted him up a fair bit. 

I thought he was poorer in the second half of the season, cost us a few games (Rangers and Hearts eg) with daft decisions and that we looked more stable with Findlay and Bruce at the end of the season. 

Right now I'd rather have Del Fabro. As its turned out, we might have dodged a bit of a bullet in terms of injuries too because Broadfoot hasn't played in ages. 

It's also totally valid to point out that him as a character and a role in the dressing room was important. His attitude seemed to match what Clarke wanted and fostered and that was important too. Maybe one of Alessio's failings that we are yet to get proper "Alessio" signings. That said, Del Fabro is probably the closest. 

17 minutes ago, skygod said:

For the goal yesterday, del Fabro headed the ball out to Erwin when it was heading out of play.

It was a very poor defensive header but Bransecu should have (if he didn't) told him to leave it. 

For me we have been very slow to second balls recently. Stemming back to Accies at home maybe even further. We don’t seem to be anticipating and cleaning up. Something we’ve been very good at previously. For the goal yesterday Erwin is quicker to two of these than our entire defence. 

Come on lads let's remember we are killie and surely all of us know the killie way is never to do things conventional or easy what's the chances of this being proved in the next two games though I do concede we would probably get good odds at the bookies for this HOWEVER let us get right behind the team and the manager...

1 hour ago, piffer said:

Del Fabro for me is better all round than Broadfoot. At times we are missing that dark side Broadfoot brought to the game but when we’ve been able to put SOD, Del Fabro, Findlay and Hamalainen on the park at the same time IMO we have looked a better defensive unit than any side we’ve had in recent years. 

thats because we have 10 players defending and only 1 attacking player. We play 3 defensive midfielder's in the middle no matter who we are playing. 

8 hours ago, NorfolkG said:

That Easton red card was absolutely not an ‘I’m here’ challenge. It was a wild, reckless lunge.

The Porteous one wasn’t much better.

People seem to be forgetting the “original” assault on him by Couldson st Ibrox, strangely only worthy of a yellow card.

Some very good youngsters currently spend their Saturday in the stands due to the good old Scottish trait of letting them know you’re there challenges, sadly under the instructions of Scottish Taught Youth Coaches, and we wonder why Scotland is not bringing through good young players.

19 hours ago, pmonty3 said:

I've seen a few folk say things aren't that different than under Clarke. They really, really are. Yes - SC was also a defensive minded coach and yes - we weren't sparkling every week under his management. But we always had a threat going forward too. Stewart, Boyd, Erwin, Mulumbu, Jones, McAleny all gave us that at various times to varying success. I'd argue that none of them have been replaced adequately. That's not AA's fault and that's why he should be given at least January and the summer to get his own players in. Sadly, I fear it will mark the end of the road for this team we've all loved. SOD, Power, Dicker, Brophy and a few more could all be gone I think. They are not AA's players and moreover they aren't playing to their potential. Although  Clarke didn't sign them either he got them to a level maybe they didn't even know they had. Unfortunately for them that's the level they are judged on now. 

It's also daft to suggest everything is rosy behind the scenes. Everyone of us hears things about the players being unhappy. The media output from them reflects that. Again contrast that with the previous regime. At our level that does matter. Our boys aren't technically gifted enough to just win any game. Togetherness and organisation and belief in the system is huge. I get the impression the squad is close and that's still showing with good responses in adversity vs Hibs, Hamilton and up at Motherwell. But it isn't what it was. 

I think to really move forward we will need to stall or even move back a bit. AA needs his own players - guys who really buy into him. Until then it's hard to judge. 

Balanced and pragmatic as always however I’m not buying into the last paragraph. A good manager should be able to get the best out of what he’s got and not need to bring in a team of his own players.  His coaching credentials are not in question, his management skills though... I’m less than convinced.

22 hours ago, pmonty3 said:

why he should be given at least January and the summer to get his own players in. Sadly, I fear it will mark the end of the road for this team we've all loved. SOD, Power, Dicker, Brophy and a few more could all be gone I think. They are not AA's players and moreover they aren't playing to their potential. Although  Clarke didn't sign them either he got them to a level maybe they didn't even know they had. 

It's also daft to suggest everything is rosy behind the scenes. Everyone of us hears things about the players being unhappy. The media output from them reflects that. Again contrast that with the previous regime. At our level that does matter. Our boys aren't technically gifted enough to just win any game. Togetherness and organisation and belief in the system is huge. I get the impression the squad is close and that's still showing with good responses in adversity vs Hibs, Hamilton and up at Motherwell. But it isn't what it was. 

I think to really move forward we will need to stall or even move back a bit. AA needs his own players - guys who really buy into him. Until then it's hard to judge. 

SOD, Power, Dicker, Brophy, Burke. A lot of our more successful players to replace at the same time as trying to strengthen the team if all of them were willing to stay.

We could end up having to replace an entire team in one or two windows. 

What do you do if they sign pre-contracts? Keep them or allow them to leave?

Perhaps this is simply the natural evolution of the team in any event as most players are mercenary when it comes to their career? As fans we always want to keep a successful team together but all teams get broken up eventually and perhaps this is the end for this team. 

Big question now is does AA have the ability to build a team with his own players? It’s a major gamble as some of his signings have been good and others have been poor but that’s the same with most managers. 

Given the market we operate in would we have been better with a ‘British’ manager or can Alessio secure players from other sources?

It’s also a massive job for Jamie Fowler if we are relying on him to almost single handedly secure players single handedly.

According to transfer market (which may need checked with other sources) only Power, Brophy and Findlay have contracts beyond next summer. 

Will the players whose contracts expire next summer extend them to work with Alessio? If not will they remain committed if they have signed pre contracts elsewhere?

Edited by MarkyMark

My biggest worry is Dicker. Reading between the lines he doesn't look particularly happy with things at the moment. Although his family is based down south I don't think he is getting as much attention from down there also given his age. I've said it before but I can see that wee weasel Mcinnes coming in for him and giving him an improved contract. Surely we should be approaching Dicker and at least offer him something because Power and him are by far our best players.