Next manager of Kilmarnock job

Craigieboy

2 hours ago, KillieBus said:

This for me. He was a coach, good/bad/indifferent - it doesn't matter. He did not manage to turn whatever he had as a coach into being a manager, at Kilmarnock.

You know the old saying, he is a better manager now that he has been sacked but he wasn't good enough at Kilmarnock. Maybe it will happen for him at a different club.

Let him go with our best wishes and leave it at that.

It'll be very hard for him to get another job as a manager now. 

If no Italian clubs were keen to appoint him before Killie came along, being sacked after six months will make them even more reluctant. 

8 hours ago, NorfolkG said:

Gary Locke was a total haddie who now does corporate. Angelo Alessio was an elite level coach.

The only similarity is they both own tracksuits.

I’m not saying THEY are similar. I’m saying the SITUATION is/was similar. 

However as you have made a comparison, the haddie and the elite level coach would be hard to separate in terms of performances their teams produced....and bare in mind the haddie didn’t have as good a squad as the elite level coach. 

6 hours ago, bute-killiefan said:

And you’re not getting that elite players and managers had that confidence in him. Gary Dicker didn’t. 

Name the players who had confidence in him in his number 1 roles. Name the managers who would have confidence in him as a number 1. Name the elite players who would have confidence in him as their manager.

31 minutes ago, Candygram for mongo said:

I’m not saying THEY are similar. I’m saying the SITUATION is/was similar. 

However as you have made a comparison, the haddie and the elite level coach would be hard to separate in terms of performances their teams produced....and bare in mind the haddie didn’t have as good a squad as the elite level coach. 

That last paragraph is nonsense. 

6 hours ago, bute-killiefan said:

Killie to cowdenbeath isn’t the same as Juventus/Chelsea to Killie. Behave yourself 

I know........and that’s not what I said or implied. 

I was simply painting a footballing scenario in relation to managers/coaches.....regardless of levels. 
If you’ve taken the time to read what I’ve written you’d be as well trying to comprehend it also.

7 hours ago, Candygram for mongo said:

Said on here already if Dyer is now suggesting he’d take it on then I’d give him the job till the end of the season. At which point both parties can assess, analyse and decide if both are happy to extent the relationship or not.   

Does that really help us though. Puts us in the same boat next summer as we were this.

Has he actually done enough in his two games so far to deserve a longer crack at it. I thought we were poor vs Well, Rangers was an organised performance but we were setup to avoid defeat. Take the performances out the equation and it’s two defeats in two. If we don’t win or pick up a positive result today is it actually viable to leave him in charge for a longer period. 

18 minutes ago, piffer said:

Does that really help us though. Puts us in the same boat next summer as we were this.

Has he actually done enough in his two games so far to deserve a longer crack at it. I thought we were poor vs Well, Rangers was an organised performance but we were setup to avoid defeat. Take the performances out the equation and it’s two defeats in two. If we don’t win or pick up a positive result today is it actually viable to leave him in charge for a longer period. 

Seems very bizarre to sack someone with limited experience as a manager and who is more used to being a number two just to replace him with someone with even less experience as a manager. Still, the players like him and that’s the main thing. 

As you say, it could leave us in the same position again in the summer and I’m not sure it will help us much in the January transfer window. However, not to worry as we now have a Football Operations Director or whatever the title is. The only problem is that most of his experience is as a number two and he is completely new to his role. 

8 minutes ago, historyman said:

Still, the players like him and that’s the main thing.

This line gives me the fear. I’m sure there have been relatively successful managers the players like but when the term is used I automatically think of a Locke and McCulloch and what a disaster they were

35 minutes ago, Jmac37 said:

I'd heard that Alessio was never around with a questionable work ethic. I was against him being let go but the bits and bobs I've picked up over the last week or so makes me think it was the correct decision. What's not helped, as always with Killie, is the very poor communication.

Allegedly the Italian goalkeeper coach he brought in to replace Billy Thomson had never played professionally. 

The day after we played Ross County, Motherwell played Rangers who were our next two opponents, yet he never bothered going to the match or sent anyone. This was quite common throughout his reign not scouting opponents. 

1 hour ago, piffer said:

I don’t understand why you would take the performances out the equation, they are the base for everything. I disagree about the Well performance.  I saw more shots on target than we had had in the previous 4/5 games combined and a team that were competitive. We didn’t deserve to lose that game. Being set up not to get beat is what any manager with our squad would have done at Ibrox. It’s what SC did. We were able to carry more of a threat under SC due to having better in the attacking areas, but Dyer would’ve been looking to threaten when we could and we did on occasion. A dogged performance and a 1-0 at Ibrox is something I’d have taken given the hammerings dished out there this season. I felt it important not to have the the confidence shattered. 

Yes, I think it does help us. We’d have a guy in charge who know the players and knows what we need in January and who’s already been working with Fowler to hopefully address the situation. This opposed to a new guy coming in and having to hit the ground running. As for leaving us in the same boat in the summer: does it? What if AD shows he’s worth continuing with? 

Edited by Candygram for mongo

20 minutes ago, Candygram for mongo said:

I don’t understand why you would take the performances out the equation, they are the base for everything. I disagree about the Well performance.  I saw more shots on target than we had had in the previous 4/5 games combined and a team that were competitive. We didn’t deserve to lose that game. Being set up not to get beat is what any manager with our squad would have done at Ibrox. It’s what SC did. We were able to carry more of a threat under SC due to having better in the attacking areas, but Dyer would’ve been looking to threaten when we could and we did on occasion. A dogged performance and a 1-0 at Ibrox is something I’d have taken given the hammerings dished out there this season. I felt it important not to have the the confidence shattered. 

Yes, I think it does help us. We’d have a guy in charge who know the players and knows what we need in January and who’s already been working with Fowler to hopefully address the situation. This opposed to a new guy coming in and having to hit the ground running. As for leaving us in the same boat in the summer: does it? What if AD shows he’s worth continuing with? 

If he shows he’s worth continuing with then that’s fine. It’s a matter of opinion at this stage if he is or not. I took performances out of the equation as it’s a results business. We’ve been very good the last two seasons getting results not playing well rather than playing well not getting results. I’m not completely against him getting the job. He is not my preferred choice but if we are going to go down this route why give him it on a temporary basis. 

In terms of hitting the ground running I don’t think the targets should be any different for AD than anyone else. We should still be pushing for top six and looking for a good cup run. There seems to be a mentality in some quarters we should be writing this season off with so much still to play for. 

The work for next season should already have started behind the scenes. That for me means next seasons manager should be in soon to help with that and begin shaping his team 

Think AD really needs a result today to boost his case. Even with an argument made that there has been a slight upturn in performances in the last two matches, another defeat would not be great. 

With the window now opening this week, this needs to be sorted out in the next few days. Either AD gets the job, and we move forward from there, or we move over the next few days to make an appointment. Everyone knows that we have to get this transfer window right. I agree with Piffer that there is a lot still to play for, the season isn't a right off. The Cup is really important for us this season, as well as stabalising the League position. So, the management situation has to be sorted out now. If it is to be AD, fine, start making the moves in the market as soon as possible, and certainly not waiting until the last day of the window as so often happens when we are left scrabbling around for loans. 

There is a case that AD provides some continuity, whereas a new man has to get to know the club very quickly, and let the players adjust to his training methods etc well before the Cup game. Either way it has to be a decision this week.