Billy Bowie Flak

killiebythesea

Exav

5 minutes ago, killiebythesea said:

Yes the appointment of Alessio hasn't worked out the we way would have liked, but at least BB and the board were willing to try something to keep the club progressing after the loss of Sir Steve and didn't just go down the route of appointing one of the same old faces from the SFA mafia.  It didn't work but at least they tried. 

I have been reading the comments on here about the managerial position and I have to say I can't believe the amount of criticism that BB gets. We seem to have short memories, this season hasn't been great but compared to life under a certain Mr Johnston we are still in good shape.  BB has been making changes and improvements to all aspects of the club and even when there have been hick ups, the ticketing system being one, they happened because the board are looking to keep the club progressing after years of decline and are trying to raise the standards in all areas of the club.  There aren't too many white knights out there willing to invest in Killie and I for one am very glad that we have someone with BBs' commitment and enthusiasm in charge.  I hate to think where we would be if he hadn't invested his time and money in our club.

He isn't perfect and mistakes have and will be made but in my opinion he has earned the right to expect our backing and I'm still very hopeful for our future under his stewardship, As a fan of more than 40 years I know that our club has had more years of hardship and heartache than success so we should enjoy the good times while we have them and the last 2 years have undoubtedly been 2 of the best we have had in some time.

I have to admit that I had my doubts about AA from the start and especially after the home tie against "Connas Quay", I sit near the home dugout and he looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights and seemed to be anguishing over every decision he had to make, it scared me and god knows what the players felt seeing him like that. 

In reality I don't think too many would have been shocked if he was sacked there and then but he was given some time and we actually had a great haul of points in September/October but although we were back to being fairly well organised the football was pretty dire and we rode our luck at times.  Since then apart from tearing apart a rank rotten Hearts side for 30 minutes we have been poor and unlike when SSC was here the players look to have no confidence and even worse we don't look to be as fit, instead of wearing teams down and getting control of games when the opposition tire we are the team that seems to wilt and lose late goals or just hang on.

I think making the decision to sack AA relatively early in the season at least gives the new manager time to get bedded in and hopefully some new signings in during the transfer window, assuming they are appointed before January.

My thoughts entirely 

The board (not just BB) gets plaudits when they do well .... and they get pelters when they don't. 

They dragged their heels in the summer over the appointment and we went into the season short of players and match fitness ... they get pelters for that.

AA got the gig and whether you (fans in general) agreed with it or not, he deserved 100% backing from us.  

The new guy will be the same ... some will be against him and some will be behind him but whatever your opinion he will deserve backing.

They made a mistake and they rectified it. Credit where it's due. 

I'm perplexed as to why they thought it a good idea to give AA the job though. Which is a bit concerning re: the thought process for the next one.  I'm not trying or wanting to be critical, I am/was genuinely bewildered as to why and am concerned about what they do next. 

46 minutes ago, killie billies pal said:

I have to think this Board has attracted a few trolls, to openly lambast BB is nothing short of staggering, do they not realise there may not be a Killie today had it not been for this bloke, the work carried out by the Board has had its share of teething problems, that's because they are trying to get a provincial club keeping up with city outfits, but this time we won't go out of business trying.

Alessio's CV must have looked like a dream for BB, had we staggered through to Belgrade then lost there wouldn't have been the outpouring of grief and abuse, we would have made more money, this would have freed up funding for players and we may not have been here today discussing his dismissal.

On AA's sacking, I simply don't believe that him speaking in Italian in the changing room was reason enough for him to be sacked on the spot, only last week he was lauded for turning up to the TIK Meet Up, his regular Thursday team talk to the press had already seen invites sent to the media, but one hour later they were summoned to RP to hear of his disposal. I genuinely believe that at least three players will be sitting rubbing their hands today during their day off, I hope that whoever gets the job is able to identify these "players" and stick them in the Reserves for the rest of the season.

This.

5 minutes ago, Candygram for mongo said:

They made a mistake and they rectified it. Credit where it's due. 

I'm perplexed as to why they thought it a good idea to give AA the job though. Which is a bit concerning re: the thought process for the next one.  I'm not trying or wanting to be critical, I am/was genuinely bewildered as to why and am concerned about what they do next. 

Allegedly it was Kirsten who hired AA and bowie left the interview early, I thought as a troll you would have known this.

1 hour ago, killiebythesea said:

Yes the appointment of Alessio hasn't worked out the we way would have liked, but at least BB and the board were willing to try something to keep the club progressing after the loss of Sir Steve and didn't just go down the route of appointing one of the same old faces from the SFA mafia.  It didn't work but at least they tried. 

I have been reading the comments on here about the managerial position and I have to say I can't believe the amount of criticism that BB gets. We seem to have short memories, this season hasn't been great but compared to life under a certain Mr Johnston we are still in good shape.  BB has been making changes and improvements to all aspects of the club and even when there have been hick ups, the ticketing system being one, they happened because the board are looking to keep the club progressing after years of decline and are trying to raise the standards in all areas of the club.  There aren't too many white knights out there willing to invest in Killie and I for one am very glad that we have someone with BBs' commitment and enthusiasm in charge.  I hate to think where we would be if he hadn't invested his time and money in our club.

He isn't perfect and mistakes have and will be made but in my opinion he has earned the right to expect our backing and I'm still very hopeful for our future under his stewardship, As a fan of more than 40 years I know that our club has had more years of hardship and heartache than success so we should enjoy the good times while we have them and the last 2 years have undoubtedly been 2 of the best we have had in some time.

I have to admit that I had my doubts about AA from the start and especially after the home tie against "Connas Quay", I sit near the home dugout and he looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights and seemed to be anguishing over every decision he had to make, it scared me and god knows what the players felt seeing him like that. 

In reality I don't think too many would have been shocked if he was sacked there and then but he was given some time and we actually had a great haul of points in September/October but although we were back to being fairly well organised the football was pretty dire and we rode our luck at times.  Since then apart from tearing apart a rank rotten Hearts side for 30 minutes we have been poor and unlike when SSC was here the players look to have no confidence and even worse we don't look to be as fit, instead of wearing teams down and getting control of games when the opposition tire we are the team that seems to wilt and lose late goals or just hang on.

I think making the decision to sack AA relatively early in the season at least gives the new manager time to get bedded in and hopefully some new signings in during the transfer window, assuming they are appointed before January.

Definitely This some sense at last

11 minutes ago, DG5 said:

BB is a god send compared.  To the last incumbent .Oh thee of short memories . BB has put a board together (not a one man disaster) tried to listen to the fans .Tried to make changes for the better of the club. Not his own personal pension fund. 

And this

From my point of view I think sacking AA was a mistake and I don't like how it makes the club look. However I would never troll Bowie or the Board. It's perfectly possible to disagree without resorting to abuse though these days in all aspects of life such a view seems to be out of style. If it was my money it'd be my call and I'd expect a bit of faith from the fans who can't have the full picture. I agree with those who rue the missed opportunity of the summer and fear for the immediate future but we have to move on together. 

2 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

BB  has done some great things for this club, we're light years away from the MJ years and the club is on a sound footing and for that i'll forever be grateful.

However, the full summer was an unmitigated disaster. The recruitment process for the new manager, hap hazard pre season, going out of Europe with a whimper and appointing "the best manager in Scotland" only for seemingly the players not buying into his methods before the season had even started and then having months of stories about players mouthing off about the boss.

Hopefully we've used this as a learning curve and kick on now. We simply can't afford to keep chopping and changing managers.

8 in 9 years is f**king bonkers.

Amen

I think BB (and the others) have done A LOT of good. Especially when compared with their predecessor.

However, it’s only right that people are able to criticise if they see fit. As long as it’s proportional- and not personal.

June - December a lot of lessons will have been learned I hope. The raft of changes in the infrastructure indicate that they have been. But we missed a big opportunity - particularly in the summer - to build on the success of the previous 18 months. That’s still frustrating.

Edited by NorfolkG

41 minutes ago, Barneyboy said:

Allegedly it was Kirsten who hired AA and bowie left the interview early, I thought as a troll you would have known this.

I am sure Kirsten would not have had the authority to recruit, select and appoint the manager. That is a board responsibility.

As for BB leaving early, we have been all through that and it was apparently after the formal interview had ended. There may even have been another director present after BB left. It was discourteous at worst.

You can't pin the appointment on Kirsten.

Agree with last few posters. He is still in credit, no doubt. And if comparing to MJ we are in a good place. But he is the main custodian of the club and we have missed a huge opportunity in our history. The last 6 months in terms of the direct football side has been poor. Hopefully not limiting but it really is that critical imo. On another post we were talking about TB joining 30 years ago. Imagine  he had decided to stay in spl with hibs. I really feel our path since would have been quite different. I think the next weeks can be considered in a not disimilar way. Reestablish the forward momentum of the last 24 months - aided by quality signings in jan - or start to slide back towards the bottom end of the spl.

4 hours ago, killiebythesea said:

Why shouldn't he be critised, he is the highest in the club, he took a gamble and it back fired. One of the drawbacks of any club owner is the blame falls on their shoulders when things don't workout and rightly so. It's part the parcel of having such a position. Equally when things go well ie SC praise was pointed in his direction and rightly so. It is what is, end of the day someone has to take the fall. 

The blame isn't disproportionate, its warranted. Its not as if those of us dissatisfied are wanting him out, like I mentioned above, blame has to go somewhere and tbh he should be openly taking the blame to protect the players, regardless if they are partially to blame. 

Comparing BB to MJ is irrelevant. 

3 hours ago, NorfolkG said:

I think BB (and the others) have done A LOT of good. Especially when compared with their predecessor.

However, it’s only right that people are able to criticise if they see fit. As long as it’s proportional- and not personal.

June - December a lot of lessons will have been learned I hope. The raft of changes in the infrastructure indicate that they have been. But we missed a big opportunity - particularly in the summer - to build on the success of the previous 18 months. That’s still frustrating.

Time will tell if lessons have been learned.  A couple of weeks before the transfer window opens and we have no manager. That's feels like deja vu to me.

i wonder where we will be come the end of March.

2 minutes ago, historyman said:

Time will tell if lessons have been learned.  A couple of weeks before the transfer window opens and we have no manager. That's feels like deja vu to me.

i wonder where we will be come the end of March.

But in terms of administration, scouting, facilities, etc, I feel lessons have been learned.

15 years of neglect being addressed.

Edited by NorfolkG

I fully appreciate everything that BB has done for the club. I dread to think where we would be now without him. 

He has to take this one on the chin though. It has been a disastrous managerial appointment. By all accounts, BB didn't even attend part of Angelo's interview.

There are no prior examples of a non English speaker, with no first team management experience at our level, being successful.

It was a huge risk, and unfortunately one that hasn't paid off. 

Edited by fraz65

Bowie and the board certainly made mistakes in the summer, large reason because Clarke did so much himself and when things are good on the pitch it's easy to forget the weaknesses behind closed doors.

It's clear that the summer was a wakeup call and those weaknesses are being sorted. Hiring competent staff for important jobs is a start, new secretary and fow in football relations. I think Bowie would admit that he isn't comfortable in hands on football side of things, organising pre season, signing players etc. Without any real background in the game what are folk expecting the guy to do? He's picked a guy with a great CV as any business man would. Any future selection process would involve Fowler i'd expect who if he's doing his job right will know exactly the type of manager we need and what traits they should have.