Motherwell home, Fred

CB

I have to admit Motherwell looked very good. Everything they did was fast thinking and unpredictable even down to throw ins into the middle of the park. It must be so easy to play against us tbh it’s all so slow and predictable.... it’s like our team play around the side of a big hole in the no10 position. Goalie is horrific! Changes needed in January please. On another note is there an age restriction on ball boys? Cause this season I’ve noticed they are right young and some can’t even throw/kick the ball back to the players. This is really annoying when we’re 1-0 down and a player is having to run 20 yards to get the ball for throw in. Think a draw would have been fair and after seeing all the other teams I reckon well will be most likely in 3rd place at the end of the season.

2 hours ago, Ngonge88 said:

So we are abusing McKenzie cause "hes not very good but runs about a lot"

But we all f**kin love Brophy, who quite honestly is exactly the same in the sense of "hes not very good but runs about a lot"

If your face fits n all that 

Nobody is abusing McKenzie, he had a poor game. Brophy at least had some shots on goal and threatened to score, but he did miss a sitter. The game panned out like a typical AA game with little goalmouth action until Motherwell scored. The same faults are there that have been there all season, except this time we were playing a team lying third. The home games we've won have been against bottom six clubs where the lack of creativity hasn't been too much of a problem, we just grind out results. We can only hope that next week isn't too bad and that somebody (anybody) can grab a goal against St. Mirren. 

7 hours ago, killie89 said:

Today was almost like role reversal from last season. Motherwell reminded me very much of us under Clarke - solid without being spectacular, took their chance when it came along, and did just enough to get the job done.

Exactly what I was thinking watching the game.
I was 99% certain they would score from that free kick watching our defensive wall/goalkeeper set up.
We started well, and ended well... it was the 80 minutes in between that killed us

40 minutes ago, EKX16 said:

Was expecting a reaction from the team yesterday but fell short from what I was hoping. Had a couple of chances in the last 15 minutes, another day the ball would have hit the back of the net. Manager wise we have to get this right and hope for a good January window.

I guess I was hoping for a reaction although in truth not expecting one. The rot is so deep that there ain’t a miracle cure. While AD was a key part of a fantastic management team he has been part of a very poor one this season. The players who so dramatically turned things round under SSC could not/cannot repeat the trick. The over 30s are two years older - time does take its toll. The squad is much weaker now than them etc.
Worrying times - we really do need to get the management appointment right and a fair few good players in. January is a notoriously bad window so some decent stop gaps to steady the ship and a proper overhaul post June. 

12 hours ago, Wrangodog said:

Nobody is abusing McKenzie, he had a poor game. Brophy at least had some shots on goal and threatened to score, but he did miss a sitter. The game panned out like a typical AA game with little goalmouth action until Motherwell scored. The same faults are there that have been there all season, except this time we were playing a team lying third. The home games we've won have been against bottom six clubs where the lack of creativity hasn't been too much of a problem, we just grind out results. We can only hope that next week isn't too bad and that somebody (anybody) can grab a goal against St. Mirren. 

I'm not talking about one game only. I dont disagree McKenzie was poor yesterday, but generally across the season he has been better than most.

Almost a Clarkesk performance. But to be honest still a lack of creativity , a few half chances , perhaps one glaring miss. Its not difficult to work out how Killie attack. Down both wings and cross or cut inside. Not threat through the middle from midfield and can't do much at set pieces.

Yeah sure we could have nicked a win , perhaps a draw was the right result. Disappointed to lose.

The Midfield is combatative and will give you effort and hard work, But never create much or score goals very often. we all know that we need a creative player or two. A playmaker in midfield , someone who will take the ball and look beyond the next closest player and see a run from a forward. A player who is composed and can see space.Link the play better than we have been doing , but also get into the box and score.

I see Dicker play as a holding Midfielder and he tries to screen the defence, He will take a pass from a defender and play to Power or the fullbacks , he might move into space , but more often than not he will play a 20 yard pass to feet. Then return to his position.

Yesterday the Motherwell number 22 , Seemed to be in the same sort of position , He would fall back and take a pass from his defenders or the keeper, Link to midfield with simple passes and them move to recieve a pass in space, sometimes he would push further forward and do the same with the wide players and the forward.

He was not a flair player or a ball winner, But he was always moving and never gave the ball away. plus he managed to still cover the defenders. The Motherwell pressing was much better than ours however , Higher up the pitch , As soon as they won a second ball it was number 22 who was almost always ready to be given the ball and take control again.

Our pressing was mostly in our half and was ok as we counter attacked from it. But most of the time we never really had enough support up top as the ball went wide on almost every counter.

I don't think much will change in our style of play until we get in some different style of players. But at the end of the day it depends on what the next manager wants.

31 minutes ago, Ngonge88 said:

I'm not talking about one game only. I dont disagree McKenzie was poor yesterday, but generally across the season he has been better than most.

That's a matter of opinion, he hasn't reached the consistency of performance that SSC got out of him. He has the worst ratio of minutes played per goal of any of our goalscorers. In a team that isn't scoring many goals that isn't good enough. He might chase, harry, pass, and generally cover more ground than anybody else but we need him to score goals too and that isn't happening. 

Game was lost by the keeper end of. If we leave with a 0-0 draw probably considered a decent result after the week we have had. And could argue we could of won with the chances created. Unfortunately we have a absolutely shocking keeper who is costing us points and goals every other week now 

1 hour ago, Wrangodog said:

That's a matter of opinion, he hasn't reached the consistency of performance that SSC got out of him. He has the worst ratio of minutes played per goal of any of our goalscorers. In a team that isn't scoring many goals that isn't good enough. He might chase, harry, pass, and generally cover more ground than anybody else but we need him to score goals too and that isn't happening. 

Okay, so based on this I feel the need to ask

Which players are reaching consistency they were under Clarke?

Which players are getting the goals to game ratio they should be? As I've said previously our main striker outwith penalties has what, 3 goals from open play this calendar year?

I honestly cannot see why McKenzie is singled out. At least he does as you say, chase, harry pass etc. We've players who look totally uninterested.

Alan Power being one btw!

Motherwell did a Kilmarnock2018/19 on us .
The winger Scott? did a Greg Stewart/ Jordan Jones  on Hammy all day then switched to annoy SOD for a short time . He’s the type of player we’re missing and I think he came through there youth system . 18 year old players  like him are out there , we just don’t seem to be able to bring kids like him along very often . 

1 hour ago, Ngonge88 said:

Okay, so based on this I feel the need to ask

Which players are reaching consistency they were under Clarke?

Which players are getting the goals to game ratio they should be? As I've said previously our main striker outwith penalties has what, 3 goals from open play this calendar year?

I honestly cannot see why McKenzie is singled out. At least he does as you say, chase, harry pass etc. We've players who look totally uninterested.

Alan Power being one btw!

For the most part Dicker, Power, and Findlay, have been as consistent as last season. McKenzie doesn't score goals and if he can't replace him with somebody who can score goals from midfield. 

21 hours ago, killie89 said:

Today was almost like role reversal from last season. Motherwell reminded me very much of us under Clarke - solid without being spectacular, took their chance when it came along, and did just enough to get the job done. At least we did force their keeper into a few saves, but the overall performance was still lacking in any real creativity. 

Agreed mate

Think dyer tried to set us up like last season unfortunately we didn't show much until we went a goal behind.

43 minutes ago, jasper said:

I'm amazed that no-one has even mentioned O'Hara so far, unless my cursory scanning of the previous posts has missed something.

Funny you should say that - I never even noticed he was playing until about 80 mins in when somebody behind me shouted f*** off O’Hara! To be honest I forgot he played for them.