Dicker interview

skygod

I'm not sure what the red-eye from Gatwick to Glasgow is - it usually refers to an overnight long-haul flight!

I assume it means Dicker spent Christmas Day with his family and flew up on the first flight this morning.

A bit surprising but clearly he had the club's blessing. Maybe further indication that he will be away at the end of the season?

16 hours ago, skygod said:

I assume it means Dicker spent Christmas Day with his family and flew up on the first flight this morning.

A bit surprising but clearly he had the club's blessing. Maybe further indication that he will be away at the end of the season?

I don’t think it’s that surprising considering it’s an away game half an hour down the road. Not like it’s Inverness or dingwall away. A lot of players get to spend Xmas as home so while I think he will be away in summer I don’t think it’s in any way an indication as to why.

"It was a s**tshow at times"

In other words, "thick average Irish footballer doesn't understand complex tactics"

This hasn't been down to AA not being a good manager. 

Quite simply our players aren't good enough and he wasnt supported enough in the summer to get players that could play a complex system 

Edited by Ngonge88

I love the fact that so many on here are happy to call Dicker a liar because what he says does not fit their narrative.

I am willing to wager that no one on here knows what actually has happened to cause the departure of AA.

Many have their theories and most of those have been jumped to on little or no information at all.

Perhaps it is time to all step back from this matter and let the off the field goings on play themselves out.

4 minutes ago, Ngonge88 said:

"It was a s**tshow at times"

In other words, "thick average Irish football doesn't understand complex tactics"

This hasn't been down to AA not being a good manager. 

Quite simply our players aren't good enough and he wasnt supported enough in the summer to get players that could play a complex system 

How do we get players that are good enough ? They're not going to rush to Rugby Park for the kind of money that we pay. Players of a higher standard such as Stewart, Mulumbu, and Bachmann, are probably going to come on loan deals, and AA didn’t bring in sufficient quality to raise the level of our squad to one capable of chasing third or fourth place. Either the board assured AA that a system was in place to source available talent (it wasn't), or AA gave the board the impression that he had sufficient contacts to bring in better quality players (he didn't).  Either way recruitment was a major disappointment and the core players were left to support the dregs that AA brought in including, St. Clair, Sow, and Jackson, who were meant to provide an attacking threat that never materialised. 

4 hours ago, bute-killiefan said:

One of the most depressing things I have read. The idea that a coach that has been successful with elite clubs across Europe 'doesn't have a f**king clue' according to Gary Dicker is so disengaging. Scottish football is in the dark ages and will never, ever learn.

I understand why you are taking this point of view, but it can easily be turned around and challenged as 'person who sits on a couch knows more than a professional sportsman does'. Plus Gary Dicker was obviously not the only one, so take that singular and make it multiple.

I liked the appointment of Alessio, as it was different but it hasn't worked out. He may have worked with top players in the past but he wasn't any more, and if he was that good, he should have been able to work with the good solid professionals we have at the club.

Also, as has been said before, he may have been the best coach in the world but maybe what the players needed was a manager.

29 minutes ago, KillieBus said:

I understand why you are taking this point of view, but it can easily be turned around and challenged as 'person who sits on a couch knows more than a professional sportsman does'. Plus Gary Dicker was obviously not the only one, so take that singular and make it multiple.

I liked the appointment of Alessio, as it was different but it hasn't worked out. He may have worked with top players in the past but he wasn't any more, and if he was that good, he should have been able to work with the good solid professionals we have at the club.

Also, as has been said before, he may have been the best coach in the world but maybe what the players needed was a manager.

Exactly my point, if the players didn’t like it, it says more about them and the state of Scottish football. 

I keep hearing that things didn’t work, and seen no evidence to back that up. It’s the same tired nonsense from folk in the media ‘clearly it wasn’t working’ what makes it clear? Scotland hasn’t qualified for a World Cup in 20 years, but we seem to know better than most when it comes to fitba 

21 minutes ago, bute-killiefan said:

Exactly my point, if the players didn’t like it, it says more about them and the state of Scottish football. 

I keep hearing that things didn’t work, and seen no evidence to back that up. It’s the same tired nonsense from folk in the media ‘clearly it wasn’t working’ what makes it clear? Scotland hasn’t qualified for a World Cup in 20 years, but we seem to know better than most when it comes to fitba 

Maybe, it actually didn't work though so I'm not sure I see your point.

If you can boil down Scotland's failure to make a World Cup in 20 years and make that equal to Angelo Alessio's failure  to progress the current Kilmarnock squad, you must know a lot about football than most.

11 minutes ago, KillieBus said:

Maybe, it actually didn't work though so I'm not sure I see your point.

If you can boil down Scotland's failure to make a World Cup in 20 years and make that equal to Angelo Alessio's failure  to progress the current Kilmarnock squad, you must know a lot about football than most.

What are you basing that on though? 

the linkage is also the same attitude that has seen most foreign coaches chased a lot sooner than a British coach would be. Often written off before they’re even got their feet under the desk.

If the players didn’t like his methods, the club should have backed him and allowed those players to leave

I’m sure I’m his head or perhaps in his own language Alessio knows the game, but I’m equally sure that unless he wanted to keep things very simple then it must have been hard for players at premiership level to understand what he wanted.

plenty of coaches seem to do well at a high level with little or sometimes no ability to speak the local language, perhaps the quality of player means that they don’t take so much instruction or perhaps the huge back room teams help to get the message across. But I’m not sure if there are many examples of this working at lower levels?

another interesting thing about Dickers interview I was surprised that the training session under Dyer only seemed to last for 62 minutes. I suppose if that was the norm under Clarke (really don’t know if that’s average or not in the game), then if another manager comes along and starts asking the players to hang around for hours It’s not going to be popular!

3 minutes ago, Tom061087 said:

another interesting thing about Dickers interview I was surprised that the training session under Dyer only seemed to last for 62 minutes. I suppose if that was the norm under Clarke (really don’t know if that’s average or not in the game), then if another manager comes along and starts asking the players to hang around for hours It’s not going to be popular!

That was a Friday session the day before a match and training would be tapering down.

2 hours ago, bute-killiefan said:

What are you basing that on though? 

the linkage is also the same attitude that has seen most foreign coaches chased a lot sooner than a British coach would be. Often written off before they’re even got their feet under the desk.

If the players didn’t like his methods, the club should have backed him and allowed those players to leave

I'm basing it on the fact it didn't work for him. Whatever he tried didn't work.

Not looking at the fact he is foreign, looking at the fact he was removed from the job by his employers. Plenty of football managers get sacked.

15 minutes ago, KillieBus said:

I'm basing it on the fact it didn't work for him. Whatever he tried didn't work.

Not looking at the fact he is foreign, looking at the fact he was removed from the job by his employers. Plenty of football managers get sacked.

See you can keep saying it didn't work, but nothing happened that suggests that.