Kris Boyd.

Charlie's Dad

If you re looking for a player who can run around for 90 mins then Boyd isnt your man, if you are looking for a natural striker who wins balls in the air & gets it to one of our side not just gives it away, knows wher the goal is , know how to make runs, knows how to bring team mates into play then Josh isnt your man. We have built out team around Josh & it isnt working teime for a change when we still have time.

Dotn see why we cant play Boyd for 60 mins & swap him out even with Josh so we can change teh style of play.

I am truly baffled that anyone thought Boyd was good yesterday.  It also seemed like the crowd was determined to pretend he was playing well - there was a moment in the first half when he hit a volleyed pass across the park straight out the park and got applauded, it was pretty surreal.  He successfully held the ball up on perhaps two or three occasions, gave it away maybe three times that, and the legendary movement provided exactly one half chance (which he did do well to get on target).

I don't doubt his efforts, I thought he tried extremely hard, but didn't threaten much of anything.

That said, I seemed to have been watching a different game in general, as Higg was getting plaudits and (one excellent cross and one excellent pass out wide aside), I thought he gave the ball away cheaply most of the time.  McKenzie has also picked a bad time to go through probably his poorest spell for us.

Edited by Lorielus

I thought he did well. Gave their centre halfs a lot to think about and forced a good save from Gordon in the first half. Tired after an hour but he's not played in I don't know how long so that was always going to be the case.

I take it the guys that don't want him in the team think that we'll be better with Carrick up front???:(

He did as well as can be asked of a player who can't run much anymore, before visibly running out of steam. His volley from a tight angle was well taken and he used his experience well, particularly when helping to marshall the defence when defending set pieces. However, we definitely played deeper when he was on the park due to him not being able to stretch defences and get onto the end of things. For example, a player who had some pace would likely have stuck away Higginbotham's central through ball in the first half, but Boyd was beaten to it easily by the Celtic central defender. He put in a shift, but he didn't score, didn't take the pressure off the defence, lost out on any through balls and ran out of steam around the 60 minute mark. Obadeyi is hopeless and was very wasteful in possession when he came on, but even as a wasteful player, playing out of position, with bad decision making, little passing ability and poor attempts at finishing, he still stretched the Celtic defence and allowed us to pile forward and put them under pressure far more than Boyd managed in 70 minutes on the pitch. Decent effort from Boyd and some encouraging signs, but he isn't the answer whilst we continue to play one up top. Might get some chances playing lesser teams in a top two with Magennis, but he'd need to be swapped out midway through the second period. All new forwards needed in summer, regardless of which league we're in.

Boyd done OK, but he's way past it and gets an easy ride from those blinded by his past. There was one instance where Higgy (I think) played a ball through and Boyd looked favourite to get it but got caught easily, he has no pace for the game and never looked like scoring on Saturday. I know he's never been blessed with great pace and that's where Josh has the advantage over him and why he should start ahead of Boyd every time for me. 

Just now, stumack said:

Never was the answer in that position and never will be now.

Absolutely has to be a top two if Boyd stays in the team.

True, but it's harder to dominate games to make up for his lack of mobility when playing with a midfield 4. A balancing act, which inevitably leaves him on the bench due to the fact that he runs like my nan.

Not disagreeing with you there. But what was working earlier in the season isn't now. So either we carry on doing what we did and score cock all or we try and change the shape a bit to make a more mobile formation including a top two.  It's a balancing act that I wouldn't want to try and sort out.

Might be worth a bash running with a two up, but Clarke hasn't used that formation at all yet despite saying it's his preferred formation in the press, so I'd assume that means he doesn't think we can afford to reduce the number of bodies in midfield or risk being overrun.

7 hours ago, McLusky said:

Might be worth a bash running with a two up, but Clarke hasn't used that formation at all yet despite saying it's his preferred formation in the press, so I'd assume that means he doesn't think we can afford to reduce the number of bodies in midfield or risk being overrun.

If you listen to his interview elsewhere on this page, he makes it clear what he wants up front and its not what we have at the moment.  We have Josh who runs about a lot and puts his size to reasonable use.  We have Boyd who is an instinctive finisher but needs games.  That's about it outside of the youths.  No one else to compliment either of them and they don't work well together.  Thanks to golden shower boy he's been left with a dog turns to make a silk purse out of.

Balance of style, and a mix and match if abilities we do not have which is how he sees the side forming.