VAR again

Nobody

So Mahrez didn't get his foot stood on ... and the defender that cleared the penalty rebound hadn't entered the box before the kick?

Seeing the replay again of the encroachment... it was a lot tighter than it looked at the time.

Edited by chubbs
Saw replay..

9 minutes ago, Blackislekillie said:

"Best league in the world" done and dusted before Christmas. Not that one single boot licking radio or TV hack dares admit it. 

They still have all their sides in the Champions League and Europa Cup and Liverpool haven't won the title for thirty years. Most leagues in Europe are dominated by the same big teams every year. I'm not a fan of Liverpool but they have a manager and teamwork that is dominant and Manchester City have lost their Invincibility, leading to a gulf in League form. 

The decision to chop Pukki's goal against Spurs is what is wrong with VAR...

Feck me it just gets worse .... they disallowed the goal because Pukki came from an offside position ... back onside before the ball was played through?!?!?!

Now they change the reason to him being a couple of mm offside.

Edited by chubbs

I have never had any doubt that VAR is in place to favour the elite clubs or in our case the twisted sisters. Today's decision at Norwich is absolutely ridiculous. The linesman on that side never raises a flag. Pukki is off side in phase one of the move but clearly is not affecting the play as he is merely trying to get on side. In phase two he is on side, if not the linesman would have raised the flag he didn't. A helping hand for Spurs.

37 minutes ago, superfan said:

I have never had any doubt that VAR is in place to favour the elite clubs or in our case the twisted sisters. Today's decision at Norwich is absolutely ridiculous. The linesman on that side never raises a flag. Pukki is off side in phase one of the move but clearly is not affecting the play as he is merely trying to get on side. In phase two he is on side, if not the linesman would have raised the flag he didn't. A helping hand for Spurs.

It isn't a helping hand, Spurs lost out to a similar decision on Thursday. The linesman not signalling doesn't mean that Pukki isn't offside, it means that VAR looks at the goal and then decides. If technology is brought in to make the final decision then some decisions will be so close as to look harsh. Pukki's finish was excellent and one part of his body being offside denying him a goal seems harsh, but that's the way it works and the choice is to accept it or go back to referees and linesmen making the errors. 

2 hours ago, superfan said:

The exact same offside call was given against Firmino away to villa. Aren’t Liverpool elite? VAR isn’t the problem it’s the imbeciles using it. 

1 hour ago, Guff92 said:

The exact same offside call was given against Firmino away to villa. Aren’t Liverpool elite? VAR isn’t the problem it’s the imbeciles using it. 

Correct.

Why isn't the referee advised to have a look .... it happens in every country except England.

Also it was supposed to correct "clear and obvious" mistakes .... any offside that is measured in centimetres and needs calibrated software to detect is definitely not clear and obvious.   It would also be clearer if the decision was based on one defined body part .. ie the feet.

VAR is a load of s**te for EVERY club.

Please see pics before thinking it’s out to help one club. I’ll save you from the embarrassment. 

Wolves goal should have stood, souness hit it on the head. This is an entertainment industry where goals make football, why are we cancelling them out over stupid offside decisions? 

For the record they got the lallana handball correct.

6D572978-BF77-43A9-B94F-50491CB7E6C8.png

B379217F-0278-48C0-A62B-3C6D60E16EC4.png

The thing with the Liverpool goal was that the ref blew for handball .... they then had to check when the whistle was blown.  If it was before the ball crossed the line then it would be disallowed. 

I thought they were to play on in such situations and let VAR sort it out if a goal is scored.

The offside rule seems to be throwing up the most controversy with VAR, however for me as offside is a black and white rule then you have to expect that some decisions may seem a bit ridiculous and come down to a few mm. If the system is capable of measuring to that accuracy then I think it should be applied in that way. You can’t start saying “it was only a few mm so it should count” as then the decision making really does become inconsistent. You could change the rule so a player has to be at least 10mm beyond the 2nd last player for example, but this would just lead to the same debate on the 10mm line. You could specify the body part eg has to be a foot but not sure this would make any difference either.

without VAR you got plenty goals incorrectly allowed to stand and quite a view incorrectly ruled out too.

the only issue I have is the time it takes for the replay to be reviewed and communicated to the referee, this toys with emotions and breaks up the game for players and spectators. Not sure technology is likely to improve on this.

5 minutes ago, Tom061087 said:

Not sure technology is likely to improve on this.

I think with faster processing and better machine learning it absolutely will. I think VAR should be put on hold until it is good enough and fast enough (instant) to replace linos/assistants

The offside being VAR'd in England are absolute nonsense, refs trying to see if someones left bollock is in front of the defenders right bollock.  Is well... bollocks.

Are they in front or not, and by in front I mean legs and feet properly in front  (not one big toe by a fraction of a mm) and in a position to take advantage.  If not then play on ffs.

Edited by Beaker71

3 hours ago, Lroy said:

I think with faster processing and better machine learning it absolutely will. I think VAR should be put on hold until it is good enough and fast enough (instant) to replace linos/assistants

Would you want it to replace them permanently though? Not sure if that’s what’s you meant though. I personally love a bit of controversy as makes games exciting and pretty sure decisions will balance out over course of a season.

3 hours ago, Tom061087 said:

If the system is capable of measuring to that accuracy then I think it should be applied in that way.

It's questionable whether the system is that accurate but more relevant to me is the players' relative positions at the moment when the ball was the ball was last played or touched. 

Freezing the video at the precise millisecond when it left someone's boot and comparing this with players' positions maybe 60 yards away seems to me to require more precision than the quick review it gets now, when the stress is on the players' positions.

I think there should be more advantage given to the attacker if there is any doubt at all.