Alex Dyer

YNTTK1869

2 hours ago, Zorro said:

...not much has changed in AD’’s life in the last 6-7 months to suddenly make him think he wants to be a manager now.

This is what bothers me. Football manager is one of those jobs where, if you don't have confidence in yourself, nobody else is going to.

Dyer has seemed to lack confidence in himself. Far from saying, "Stand aside - I'll show you how to run this club!", he's been diffident in much the same way as McCulloch was. Probably the same way BW was too, listening to him retelling the story of his appointment. But BW had little to lose - we looked nailed on for relegation and he chanced his arm, sticking in Burke and Bagan.  

AD had managed five first-team matches until recently, as caretaker manager for Welling United. He's been No. 2 to Chris Powell and Steve Clarke and it's time now to put into practice what he's learned. If he wants to manage at our level, he is going to have to learn fast. He needs to realise that he is the gaffer and make decisions. No more relying on someone else calling the shots while he is the "good cop" with the players. 

I would like to think he's doing the job because he knows he is the right man, and not just because he's Johnny on the spot and it's only for six months. Big, big doubts in my mind about his motives though. As Zorro says, why now and not in the summer when he resolutely wasn't interested? 

He needs to be bold and grab his chance, not only for his sake but the club's. Much rides upon whether he can do it. 

Edited by skygod

2 minutes ago, cdj said:

Imho the most important part of JFs job is to create and over see a productive youth system for the club....... it, sadly, seems to have been ignored in recent seasons and a 'short termism' attitude embraced ( heavily relying on loan players)..... the only thing that 'short termism' creates is boom and bust...... as it stands we will have something like 4 1st team players under contract at seasons end and nothing coming through our youth system..... surely our approach has to change going forward ?

I’m sure this is something Fowler will look at in the future. Unfortunately it takes a back foot at the moment due to problems with the first team. Fowler was involved with the development sides under Alan Robertson as a player and assisting him with coaching he’ll have a decent idea of what’s required. That will probably mean big changes and potentially a change in personnel. A few of us were talking about it and wondered if Kenny Shiels should be someone we should look to get in at that level as head of youth. Before Mixu brought him to us that was the level he made his name and had a very good reputation. 

1 minute ago, skygod said:

This is what bothers me. Football manager is one of those jobs where, if you don't have confidence in yourself, nobody else is going to.

Dyer has seemed to lack confidence in himself. Far from saying, "Stand aside - I'll show you how to run this club!", he's been diffident in much the same way as McCulloch was. Probably the same way BW was too, listening to him retelling the story of his appointment. But BW had little to lose - we looked nailed on for relegation and he chanced his arm, sticking in Burke and Bagan.  

AD had managed five first-team matches until recently, as caretaker manager for Welling United. He's been No. 2 to Chris Powell and Steve Clarke and it's time now to put into practice what he's learned. If he wants to manage at our level, he is going to have learn fast. He needs to realise that he is the gaffer and make decisions. No more relying on someone else calling the shots while he is the "good cop" with the players. 

I would like to think he's doing the job because he knows he is the right man, and not just because he's Johnny on the spot and it's only for six months. Big, big doubts in my mind about his motives though. As Zorro says, why now and not in the summer when he resolutely wasn't interested? 

He needs to be bold and grab his chance, not only for his sake but the club's. Much rides upon whether he can do it. 

I’d love to know what was said in the dressing room on Sunday post match. Dyer seemed quite defensive of them in the media but I wonder if it was the same in private. I’m led to believe Steve Clarke went through them on a few occasions but wonder if they’ve seen that side of Dyer or if he even has that side.

31 minutes ago, piffer said:

I’m sure this is something Fowler will look at in the future. Unfortunately it takes a back foot at the moment due to problems with the first team. Fowler was involved with the development sides under Alan Robertson as a player and assisting him with coaching he’ll have a decent idea of what’s required. That will probably mean big changes and potentially a change in personnel. A few of us were talking about it and wondered if Kenny Shiels should be someone we should look to get in at that level as head of youth. Before Mixu brought him to us that was the level he made his name and had a very good reputation. 

Why should it take a back seat, if we don't sort it now then when? The first team will always need attention so to put the youth on hold is just negligence.

Sort it now!

33 minutes ago, piffer said:

I’d love to know what was said in the dressing room on Sunday post match. Dyer seemed quite defensive of them in the media but I wonder if it was the same in private. I’m led to believe Steve Clarke went through them on a few occasions but wonder if they’ve seen that side of Dyer or if he even has that side.

What interests me is how he's approaching the Alessio regime and players still there. 

Could be a case of "right - s**te like Sow and Jackson are gone - we start again". If things weren't happy, could see that having an effect. 

There's something badly wrong if there isn't a response to Sunday. Very different look from the players when they came over to the stand. They knew. 

6 minutes ago, mitch14 said:

There's something badly wrong if there isn't a response to Sunday. Very different look from the players when they came over to the stand. They knew. 

Perhaps that was his first step. He did basically block the tunnel and send them up. Whether they’d have come on their own who knows but given the reaction I wouldn’t have fancied it. 

1 hour ago, Fudger said:

I spoke with a few St Mirren fans on Sunday who thought Waters wasn’t up to much at all. Said he was decent going forward but we’ll short on defending. 

i liked the look of him anytime I have watched him play. 

My St Mirren supporting pals also give Waters mixed reviews, but their view is he is better defending than going forward . 

1 minute ago, piffer said:

Perhaps that was his first step. He did basically block the tunnel and send them up. Whether they’d have come on their own who knows but given the reaction I wouldn’t have fancied it. 

And we,the fans, promptly sent them back in no doubt of what we thought about the performance!

2 hours ago, piffer said:

Nobody better than Kenny Shiels imho to run the entire youth setup..... probably the last time I remember thinking there was a long term plan in place for youth/future of footballing operations at the club was when he was in charge.

4 minutes ago, cdj said:

Nobody better than Kenny Shiels imho to run the entire youth setup..... probably the last time I remember thinking there was a long term plan in place for youth/future of footballing operations at the club was when he was in charge.

Would love to see him at the club in a role like that.

2 hours ago, piffer said:

For me that's a good sign. He's saying in big bold capitals to the squad, "you cant just turn in a performance like that and walk away without having to face the people who pay your wages". The players generally already know if the give everything and don't get a result the fans will still appreciate the effort.

I have been a bit underwhelmed by AD's outward enthusiasm for the job but by contrast I have seen multiple mega confident self assured eejits crash and burn. Mybe getting the job on a semi-permanent basis will help give him a bit of self belief. 

4 hours ago, skygod said:

AD had managed five first-team matches until recently, as caretaker manager for Welling United. He's been No. 2 to Chris Powell and Steve Clarke and it's time now to put into practice what he's learned. If he wants to manage at our level, he is going to have to learn fast. He needs to realise that he is the gaffer and make decisions. No more relying on someone else calling the shots while he is the "good cop" with the players. 

Diffident is the most important word in this insightful post.

12 hours ago, skygod said:

Not old but, at those ages, they can't be considered youthful and should have established themselves in someone’s first team, preferably ours. 

We should have 18 and 19 year olds banging the door down to get in the first team. Millen is 25 FFS! 

At least Brindley and Barlow have been included in match-day squads recently, which is something. The next step is to actually get them on the pitch. 

agreed, millen is nepotism at its best.

i was pleased when we signed SH at LB (gone to west ham for decent money) we havent seen him, but he is our player. why play the loanee every week when he is bang average? his pedigree when signed was equal or greater than SODs.

Our reserve keeper, is he worse than Larry? Who knows unless he plays?

But for god sake dont loan sow who cant get a game in the championship to play for us, then loan people to the championship.

I dont blame bowie one bit he took a massive gamble on aa thinking outside the box looking up rather than down but with most times you gamble you lose but hes a killie fan himself and was prepared to take that chance hoping wee had a clauido raniero on our hands.

He must care about our club or he would have played it safe so for that reason he should be applauded 

On 12/30/2019 at 8:43 PM, jamieboy said:

How do you know Dyer played a part in Sow and Jackson being signed? On that basis did he play a part in Sir Stevie's signings? Does that mean Donati has to take part of the blame for bad signings too? Final decision should lie with the manager. From what I understand Sow showed up well in an u23s match which Alessio was watching. 

Two signings that should never have been made. Both an utter waste of money, all of those involved should have known better. All very embarrassing for a team that had just finished third in the league and had pocketed over £1m in transfer fees and compensation. 
No idea what part Dyer played in their signings but surely his advice was sought and given. The keeper, DDF and St Clair were obviously AA signings.