Clearout Begins

hindes57

15 hours ago, Bobby14 said:

Am I the earlier poster who was being “v patronising”?

I never said there was no-one who had played at any decent level on these forums. What I did say was that the OP had probably played at a higher level than most. And without knowing, I’d bet it was probably true. 

Now for the patronising bit... there are nearly 800 clubs who “play in the FA cup”. One of whom, Abingdon Town play in the 9th/10th level of the English football pyramid. A standard probably akin to the much maligned northern juniors. 

the guy was slaughtered for putting his credentials on the table by people who probably didn’t play at a level near his.

No you weren't Bobby. This is the bit I found patronising regardless of whether you've played the game or not....sweeping statements n all that... 

"Unlike a lot of the posters on here, I've actually PLAYED the game and have a good understanding of the dynamics. I had a good run in the North Region Juniors (was the oldest player in the league!) and managed at that level as well, so I'm pretty confident I know a 'fitba player' when I see one."

It should also be remembered that someone's playing career doesn't necessarily translate into a knowledge or understanding of the game.

Jose Mourhino, Villas-Boas and, dare I day it, Ian Cathro are examples of people whose playing career was pretty non-exisitant but they became respected coaches/managers while the game is full of examples of great players who were were fantastic on the pitch but not so good off it.

1 hour ago, historyman said:

It should also be remembered that someone's playing career doesn't necessarily translate into a knowledge or understanding of the game.

Jose Mourhino, Villas-Boas and, dare I day it, Ian Cathro are examples of people whose playing career was pretty non-exisitant but they became respected coaches/managers while the game is full of examples of great players who were were fantastic on the pitch but not so good off it.

Exactly! Lots of footballers thick as s**t let's not forget......oops!

15 minutes ago, Jedi2 said:

Assume by this stage, a week in, that we are keeping Larry, DDF, St.Clair Hendrie and Johnson?

Wouldn’t imagine we’ll get rid of anymore until replacements are found. The deals were up for the two who have already gone. We may have to negotiate out of other deals. 

15 minutes ago, chubbs said:

Don't see any point in keeping StClair ..  if he can't get a game in a team that can't score then he'd be as well going home.

If there's any way to terminate his or Johnson's loan I would send them both back if possible. They might be young guys but St Clair hasn't remotely threatened a side who are really bad in attack and Johnson is a goal threat every time he touches the ball, unfortunately it's our goal. 

32 minutes ago, Fletch said:

If there's any way to terminate his or Johnson's loan I would send them both back if possible. They might be young guys but St Clair hasn't remotely threatened a side who are really bad in attack and Johnson is a goal threat every time he touches the ball, unfortunately it's our goal. 

Johnson I thought played OK against Motherwell and Ross County. 

Would expect St Clair to be gone before end of month ,Johnson has played so he might be kept though he would only be back up.Hendrie must be looking for another club and would have to take a wage cut probably.Must have been the worst transfer window ever .The majority contributed nothing to the team even the ones that have are nothing special 

6 minutes ago, Killiepies said:

Would expect St Clair to be gone before end of month ,Johnson has played so he might be kept though he would only be back up.Hendrie must be looking for another club and would have to take a wage cut probably.Must have been the worst transfer window ever .The majority contributed nothing to the team even the ones that have are no

We havent seen this one out yet , so I would hold off with that statement

29 minutes ago, Killiepies said:

Must have been the worst transfer window ever .The majority contributed nothing to the team even the ones that have are nothing special 

Have to agree. It was pretty disastrous. Sadly the fans seemed to recognise it was heading this way at the time but the club didn’t. 

Looking at the BBC website and comparing it to the same time last year there were almost double the reportable transfers completed at this time last year as there are now. It seems to be a slow window overall. I’d hoped we would have something done at this stage just to give the club and support a lift. In reality it was unlikely to happen given we basically shut up shop for a fortnight over christmas.