Lack of goals

Charlies PaPa

Over the last few home games I paid close attention to the "shoot in part of the warm up"  Frankly the percentage number of shots on target was woeful, (including Brophy) The only consistent player was Sow.  Is this down to technique or temperament.  In Boyd we had one of the most successful strikers in SPFL history.  Surely it would by worthwhile to get him back 1 or 2 days a week to work with our forward players on technique and movement in the box.

3 minutes ago, Charlies PaPa said:

Over the last few home games I paid close attention to the "shoot in part of the warm up"  Frankly the percentage number of shots on target was woeful, (including Brophy) The only consistent player was Sow.  Is this down to technique or temperament.  In Boyd we had one of the most successful strikers in SPFL history.  Surely it would by worthwhile to get him back 1 or 2 days a week to work with our forward players on technique and movement in the box.

Wouldn't read much into that, watching us all the way back to the mid 90s and I always thought we didn't score a lot in those kind of training drills. 

1 hour ago, Charlies PaPa said:

If we did that just now Brophy could pretty much get one to one tuition.

Our midfield is severely lacking in goals and more concerning is we don't really take any shots either but what do you expect when we play defensive midfielders constantly.  Even when chasing the game, we seem to always substitute El Makrini who looks the only one prepared to take the ball forward.  Plenty of games this season he's been the player subbed when others around were struggling.    

23 minutes ago, Charlies PaPa said:

WE need goals from other players as well.  Midfield in particular are more likely to hit any birds in the end stands.

100% this. My priority would be a midfield player with a degree of creativity, which would also provide chances for the guys struggling up front.

Getting Boyd to work on finishing isn’t the worst idea. Can he teach that natural killer instinct though. The other thing is confidence. Boyd didn’t seem to care if he missed. He’d get back in position for the next one and try to do better. At times you can see our forward players confidence take a hit when they miss chances and sadly with the way we were playing they didn’t know when the next chance would come.

I agree with above we lack goals from all over the park. Looking at other teams who have a CM who will contribute 5-10goals a season. We are lucky to get that between four or five players. Very few seem to be willing to take the shot on despite evidence in the past that we get joy. Thomas, SOD, Burke, Power, El Makrini, Rory a**** others have goals in the last couple of seasons from taking a dig but look less and less likely to do so. 

1 hour ago, TheShark said:

If we haven't started negotiations for Nisbet at Dunfermline yet, someone isn't doing their job properly. 

We’ve missed the boat he’s on contract till 2021 and would cost £200k plus. Couldn’t afford Shankland either for same reason. Wages would also be an issue. Agree he would be good signing.

20 hours ago, Charlies PaPa said:

so i am not the only one then. Some are shocking, But they know its a training exercise and try TV type shots, Curling it , placing it , rocket it....but during the game they don't get into the same positions most of the time they shoot when they should pass. Brophy in particular shoots to often , bit one on one with a keeper he is better. during matches we have a lack of numbers in and around the box, A lot of our goals attempts are from half chances , A loose ball or defensive mistake, Not as a result of good attacking football.  Where do goals come from over a season and then look at our's.

corners or set play - not many

crosses from winger - not many

Pen's - need players in the box to get a penalty - so not many

one / two between forwards - can't think of one

and so on. So getting in a Striker or only part of the problem. Creative players and a midfielder with a box to box ability.

On 1/10/2020 at 2:39 PM, Charlies PaPa said:

I noticed Thomas knocked his in very well at Ibrox. So if her can translate that into game time scoring....it’s good news for Dunfermline!

9 hours ago, GCM said:

Nisbet's goals on Youtube look alright, certainly knows how to score, his confidence should be high at the moment, unfortunately so will the price tag for Killie. 

I’d offer them the 200k from Man City, Thomas and a sell on percentage. Might be enough to tempt them if they’ve had no other solid offers.

It annoys me that Dicker and Power very rarely seem to take part in the shooting practice before games. God knows they could do with it, especially Power. It’s almost like it’s been drummed into them that they shouldn’t be hitting shots. I know it’s not their primary role in the team but their goal return is rubbish - all very well when we’re scraping out 1-0 wins as we were last season but it becomes annoying when you don’t have a goal in 6 games. You never see Brophy, or whoever is up front, holding the ball up and then laying it off for one of our midfielders to have a shot at goal. I’m no tactical genius but I feel like it’s something we should be doing more.