I saw XXXXXXX play

Bigdaw

23 minutes ago, Pelesboots said:

Could he be getting mixed up with Fulham playing St Mirren in the Anglo Scottish cup in 1977 - I think Best played for Fulham at the time as I was in school in Paisley then and seem to remember it being discussed.

I've just checked with my father who's in his nineties. He confirms he was with me and says that I may be confused but he's not! What's more, he says he thinks it was a Monday night game.

l'll find it.

4 hours ago, Karl said:

I was also at Scotland vs France in 2000, which means I saw the likes of Henry, Petit and Viera. But the only thing I can remember about the game is the World Cup being paraded round the ground at the start.

I was at that game too, to see Zidane. He was pretty much the only member of that 98 World Cup and Euro 2000 winning. team that didn't play. When Messi didn't show for the game against Argentina at Hampden after they said he would play and we'd bought the tickets, I decided I was done with international friendlies!

14 minutes ago, mackpomm said:

l'll find it.

While you're looking.....

Killie used to play a lot of friendlies in London - at West Ham, which I think was little more than a trial for Bobby Ferguson, Fulham and Brentford.

The players and officials used to come down for the England v. Scotland and play a match on the Friday night. There was a strong connection with Brentford because of Malcolm McDonald, who managed both clubs. 

It's gutting for me because Fulham and Brentford are my closest clubs and I would love if we could play friendlies now! 

249262785_whamv.killie.jpg.891ca7ef242f4b6d0f18e6066885a0b1.jpg

@skygod and others.  Remember we were in Europe in the 90s, it might have been Nice or Kaiserslautern but they had a striker whom I’m sure was called Heinz or something close.  He got clapped off by us and I remember him being head and shoulders above everyone technically.  Anyone remember and perhaps link me to a wiki?  

14 minutes ago, david mcbeth said:

Saw Best for Hibs at RP. Portly zero pace but still amazing touch/ passing from recollection. I think we beat them 4-0 in a hastily arranged friendly when a lot of league games were cancelled.  

Have seen some of the very big names of the late 80s/ 90s one way or another, usually seen when following Scotland or going along as a neutral to Scottish teams' games in Europe. 

But never really seen any of the Messi, Ronaldo, Pele, Maradona level guys.

Of the hyped up players the OF (RIP) had over the years the only ones that I saw and thought wow were really Larsson and Van Bronckhorst. Saw wee flashes from fat boy Gazza who I also saw playing for England (yes that fkn goal) and Spurs (anonymous). Personally thought Di Canio also showed flashes of greatness but I was generally underwhelmed by the rest of the OF's array of alleged stars.

Larrson and Laudrup were the best two players I've seen play against us for Scottish teams but Fergie's Aberdeen is the best Scottish team I've seen play against Killie - probably helped that we were pretty awful then. 

This is the Everton team from Super Ally's testimonial

Myhre, Cleland, Ward, Xavier, Dunne (80' Clarke), Unsworth, Grant (63' Milligan), Barmby (63' Branch), Campbell (63' Degn), Johnson, Pembridge (80' McLeod).
Unavailable: Hutchison, Collins, Weir (International Duty); Jeffers, Gough, Gemmill, Williamson (injured); O'Kane (transfer-listed); Bilic (in limbo); Cadamarteri, Farrelly, Phelan (on loan free

Few interesting names there though some of them didn't feature. This was pre crazy hair Xavier

6 hours ago, skygod said:

While you're looking.....

Killie used to play a lot of friendlies in London - at West Ham, which I think was little more than a trial for Bobby Ferguson, Fulham and Brentford.

The players and officials used to come down for the England v. Scotland and play a match on the Friday night. There was a strong connection with Brentford because of Malcolm McDonald, who managed both clubs. 

It's gutting for me because Fulham and Brentford are my closest clubs and I would love if we could play friendlies now! 

249262785_whamv.killie.jpg.891ca7ef242f4b6d0f18e6066885a0b1.jpg

I watched Spurs from the mid-seventies onwards and saw Martin Peters when he was at Norwich - but never saw Fulham at Craven Cottage (or Bobby Moore, humph). I guess Kilmarnock are no longer regarded as suitable opposition, as per the Blackburn games. The 2-1 after 90mins against Notts Forest at Rugby Park was the best game I've seen against English opposition, pity about the extra time.

I've been peering at the Glasgow Evening Times' archives for 74, 75, 76  until stupid o'clock to try and find mention of a Kilmarnock v Fulham friendly....the Kilmarnock Standard's archives are not as readily available.....but I'll nail a date or have a brain scan.

Edited by mackpomm

2 hours ago, mackpomm said:

I watched Spurs from the mid-seventies onwards and saw Martin Peters when he was at Norwich - but never saw Fulham at Craven Cottage (or Bobby Moore, humph). I guess Kilmarnock are no longer regarded as suitable opposition, as per the Blackburn games. The 2-1 after 90mins against Notts Forest at Rugby Park was the best game I've seen against English opposition, pity about the extra time.

I've been peering at the Glasgow Evening Times' archives for 74, 75, 76  until stupid o'clock to try and find mention of a Kilmarnock v Fulham friendly....the Kilmarnock Standard's archives are not as readily available.....but I'll nail a date or have a brain scan.

Only games against Fulham I found were at Craven Cottage in the mid-60s.

10 hours ago, Killieboyd said:

Shearer at RP, nobody has mentioned him

Mike Newell was the best player that day if it was the friendly when they took 5 off us. 

Saw Cantona for Man Utd at Loftus Road v QPR. Massive fight in the wee street behind a stand after the game. Nowhere to go so stepped over a wall into a garden.   Was really weird. If you stepped into the gardens you were regarded as audience, but fair game if you stayed in the street.