I saw XXXXXXX play

Bigdaw

2 hours ago, Killiefaetheferry said:

Saw Cantona for Man Utd at Loftus Road v QPR. Massive fight in the wee street behind a stand after the game. Nowhere to go so stepped over a wall into a garden.   Was really weird. If you stepped into the gardens you were regarded as audience, but fair game if you stayed in the street.

I can relate to this! 

I used to have a season ticket in that stand (Ellerslie Road). 

“A garden” gives the wrong impression - they are the size of a large handkerchief! 

Edited by skygod

At Killie genuinely best player i've seen is Eremenko, i think it was just the surprise of how good he was, that first game against St mirren is one of my favourite games. Turned every midfielder inside out with a simple dummy, pinged passes onto players feet and scored a freekick. Even at Boydys testimonial a few stone overweight he was still sensational to watch.

I saw Djorkaeff aswell in the kaiserslautern game but couldn't appreciate it at the time.

Elsewhere the belgium team that pumped scotland recently are something special. De Bruyne is another level atm. Hazard on his day is untouchable.

A spurs fan from my work, you know the type, "My nan could play 'footy' in Scotland" was wetting himself over the prospect of watching gazza play live in the flesh for the first time recently (at the opening spurs new stadium).

He was pretty gutted when I took great pleasure in telling him I'd seen him play against Killie in our "s**tty little jock league".

On a similar note I am disappointed to have missed the opportunity to see ice hockey legend Jaromir Jagr playing against HC Sparta Prague yesterday. By the time I decided I would go along it was sold out. (a very rare event in Czech ice hockey).  Just coming back after 12 matches out through injury he scored 2 goals and had 2 assists in an 8-4 win for Kladno. Not bad for a 47 year old. 

[Names highlighted to save you time in case the fanboy fluff is boring]

I was fortunate enough to get a ticket to the Champions League Final at Hampden in 2002. Zidane obviously the highlight but a number of others who were exceptional players (Figo, Raul, Ballack). I vividly recall watching Zidane as he shaped his body whilst keeping eyes on the ball for what seemed like an age as it dropped from the sky, before volleying it past Butt in the Leverkusen goal. 

My wee team is Barcelona and I went to see them play Real at the Bernabeu in 2015. It was the best overall and individual performance I've seen in the flesh from any team. Barca won 4-0 and Iniesta ran the show. He was just sublime. He got a standing ovation from some Madrid supporters when he was subbed late on. That game included Cristiano Ronaldo but he, and the whole Real team, were played off the park. Got to see a short cameo from Messi as he was returning from injury.

Next to Iniesta in my tiki taka lovefest is Xavi and I saw him play for Spain against Scotland in 2011 in Alicante. If my memory serves, we didn't touch the ball for the first few minutes and it's likely he alone had more touches than our entire team across the 90 minutes.

We've had some incredible players in Scotland in the last few decades (I'm 36 and very jealous of some names mentioned in this thread who played before my time) with Gazza, Laudrup and Larsson probably being the pick of those I've seen in the flesh.

The best individual performance by a Scot that I've seen in the flesh was a young Barry Ferguson running the show against England at Wembley in the Euro 2000 play off second leg in Nov 1999. The whole team were brilliant that night but he in particular was outstanding, bossing the middle of the park against an England midfield including Ince, Redknapp, Beckham and Scholes.

I cannot write this post and not include Killie players so, for what it's worth, the best I've seen in my time are Tommy Burns, Ray MontgomerieIan Durrant, Alexei Eremenko and Kris Boyd - all experts in their various and varied roles.

In years to come, I'm confident of adding Alan Power to this list. 

Has anyone mentioned a goalie yet?!

35 minutes ago, BigD'sGingerLorry said:

Was Peter Shilton playing for Notts Forrest when we played them in the Anglo Scottish Cup? 

Without checking, I think it would have been Middleton.

Edit - The match was in September 1976. Shilton didn't join Forest until 1977.

Middleton played in the final against Orient. Their other keeper was 17 year-old Chris Woods.

Edited by skygod

I've seen a lot of the big names, Pele, Maradona, Puskas, Di Stefano, Law, Best, Baxter, Jimmy Johnstone running amok against England, but the one that impressed me most as a youngster was Kurt Hamrin. Hamrin was a Swedish International winger who scored 150 goals in 289 games for Fiorentina and my uncle took me to the first leg of the Cup Winners Cup Final in 1961 at Ibrox. Fiorentina destroyed a very good Rangers team that night and Hamrin was completely unplayable. 

5 hours ago, dasboag said:

Anyone at that game would've seen Teddy Sheringham, Patrik Berger and Yakubu a****st others

My memory may be exaggerating this slightly, but I seem to remember a crossfield ball over sherringhams shouldler which he absolutely bulleted into the net on the volley.

You could see he was on another level. 

Was it as good a goal as I remember? I was just a wee boy at the time. 

Edited by undefined

1 hour ago, undefined said:

My memory may be exaggerating this slightly, but I seem to remember a crossfield ball over sherringhams shouldler which he absolutely bulleted into the net on the volley.

You could see he was on another level. 

Was it as good a goal as I remember? I was just a wee boy at the time. 

I remember that goal. Absolute topper 

Shearer and Djorkaeff are the two that stick out at Rugby Park and against Killie

outside of Killie went to a couple of Blackburn games in 2005/2006 against Arsenal and Man Utd

in the united team was  - Van der Sar, Neville, Brown Vidic, Evra, Ronaldo, Fletcher, Ferdinand, Richardson van Nistelrooy 54, Rooney, Saha. Pique was an unused Sub!

in the Arsenal team had Henry, Van Persie, Adebayor, Fabregas, Rosicky all featuring and Henry scored an absolute screamer starting from his own half and running the ball to the edge of the 18 yard box and lobbing the keeper!

13 hours ago, Fudger said:

Sat at in the North bank at Highbury watching Arsenal v Newcastle, Shay Given was unbelievable in goals. It could easily have been 7 or 8 nil but I think it ended 1 nil. 

I remember Thierry Henry going straight to him at the end to congratulate him (even though he lost). 

On his day, Shay Given was an outstanding goalie .... makes Celtic's feckup all the funnier.