Brian McClair leaves post as SFA performance director

Chris McLaughlin is reporting on twitter that McClair has left his post as performance director. Apparently he didn't like spending so much time in boardrooms giving presentations.

EDIT: On STV site now

Brian McClair says he's "deeply disappointed" after leaving his role as Scottish FA performance director after just 13 months.

The former Manchester United player and coach was appointed in February 2015 and was tasked with implementing the governing body's strategy to maximise football talent at all ages.

McClair and Scotland boss Gordon Strachan were due to present a blueprint for the way forward for the national game but the 52-year-old will now depart before any plan is made public.

McClair said: "I can confirm that I will leave my position as performance director.

"I am deeply disappointed that I couldn't make a significant difference, but I would like to thank my staff for the help they have given me and the board for the opportunity.

"I would also like to wish my successor all the best in the future in their efforts to develop the environment for the young talent that Scotland deserves."

McClair, whose playing career took him from Motherwell to Celtic to Manchester United, was previously director of the Old Trafford club's Youth Academy.

Chief executive Stewart Regan said McClair's position wasn't "comfortable or tenable".

He added: "I would like to thank Brian for his time as performance director.

"I am really disappointed that we have parted company after a year, but the complexities of the role cannot be overestimated.

"While his experience of developing talent over a sustained period of time at Manchester United was a major attribute, being performance director requires a different style of leadership and focus.

"As performance director, he found himself spending more time lobbying and presenting in the boardroom. It became apparent that this was neither a comfortable nor tenable situation in the long term. I would like to reiterate my thanks to Brian for his efforts and wish him the best of luck in the future."

The Scottish FA say a working group, headed by Alistair Gray, will continue to meet to discuss changes to enahnce elite performance.

Edited by thesnowman21

Given the way they went on during the Sevco debacle and the fact they were proclaiming Armageddon for Scottish football because of it I struggle to believe Regan and Doncaster are still in a job. Then I remember it's Scottish football.

I have nothing but sympathy for people coming into our game with fresh ideas. They face a constant uphill struggle because of dinosaurs who proclaim at every opportunity that doesn't work up here. 

If they are going to do it then things have to be done correctly. A complete overhaul of the systems. Give someone the job and a blank canvas to work with. Not coaches who have been in positions for decades with no interest in changing or developing their methods.

Other nations have done it in recent years. They had overhauls with a long term plan. Yes they had struggles throughout but they stuck with it. We have struggled but no plan.

I take it the plan to cut the pro youth system by at least 50% and regionalise some Academy's (the ones outside the Old Firm most likely ) will still be going ahead .I am sure some on here fought tooth and nail to keep ours and wouldn't take to lightly to it being broken up or even worse regionalised .

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/14222425.McClair_and_Strachan_unveil_radical_new_SFA_performance_plan/

22 hours ago, Wrangodog said:

Just give Ian Cathro the salary he needs and let him get on with it.

The SFA needs dismantled, cleaned out and put back together to make sure that the development of young players is at the heart of everything they do. It has an image problem of being made up by freeloading old Blazers who are in it for their own personal gain. Could the Scottish government get involved to completely restructure and the SFA? 

Cathro's a good shout but frankly I'm stunned that a guy with McClair's experience and talent has given up - just exactly what kind of resistance was he up against? 

It does seem that CAS has failed in its goals, and I think given McClair and Strachan's experience at the top level of the game, that their plans should be listened to carefully. Too many people at all levels are scared of change, but it's clearly not working and something needs to be done about it.

One thing the government needs to do is to build more high quality football (and/or multi-sport) indoor arenas around the country. Maybe some EU funding could help....