Chris Burke

Dillinger

14 minutes ago, killiehammers said:

You not a Boyd fan?

Pretty sure he is referring to the fact that unlike the other thirty somethings in recent seasons, (e.g. Burke, Broadfoot, Dicker and Power), Boyd made little effort to keep in shape 

Eating large strawberry tarts in the Park Hotel and fish suppers not a great help either

Boyd was a far better goalscorer than Kenny Miller, who is still playing at 40, due to keeping fit

Boyd would still be playing now, if he had done the same

1 minute ago, Killie Conman said:

Pretty sure he is referring to the fact that unlike the other thirty somethings in recent seasons, (e.g. Burke, Broadfoot, Dicker and Power), Boyd made little effort to keep in shape 

Eating large strawberry tarts in the Park Hotel and fish suppers not a great help either

Boyd was a far better goalscorer than Kenny Miller, who is still playing at 40, due to keeping fit

Its getting a bit boring now tho.  Boyd never kept himself in great shape, we all know that.  Maybe Boyd wasn't interested in playing come 2020? Hes had a decent career and scored some vital goals throughout.  Time to close the book on this one

9 minutes ago, Killie Conman said:

Spot on.

5 minutes ago, killiehammers said:

Boyd never kept himself in great shape,

Understatement of the century.

14 minutes ago, killiehammers said:

Still scored plenty of important goals for us tho.  Give it up and move on.  You are sounding very bitter about something

And? Jones scored some vital goals for us too, doesn't mean I can't call him a prick.

We were good for Boyd, he was good for us.

You seem awfa defensive of Boyd just cos I said Chris Burke (exact same age as him and suffered serious illness) is the anti Boyd in terms of fitness.

Yet folk still want Boyd on the coaching staff!

Kris Boyd...absolute legend. Greatest finisher in a killie shirt in a lifetime. Came though our youth system. I could not care what shape he was in, in the twighlight of his career he was top scorer in the spl. Wish we had a fat bastard with half the talent in our number 9 shirt now. Mr watters was no Adonis (sorry Wullie fans) but he knew where the poke was. It’s not always about shape fortunately. Talent still has a place.

5 minutes ago, Thebigguy68 said:

Kris Boyd...absolute legend. Greatest finisher in a killie shirt in a lifetime. Came though our youth system. I could not care what shape he was in, in the twighlight of his career he was top scorer in the spl. Wish we had a fat bastard with half the talent in our number 9 shirt now. Mr watters was no Adonis (sorry Wullie fans) but he knew where the poke was. It’s not always about shape fortunately. Talent still has a place.

Totally agree. Legend status.

Until summer 2018 he was still doing the business. At that point though he was blatantly finished. He could hardly run last season.

5 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

And? Jones scored some vital goals for us too, doesn't mean I can't call him a prick.

We were good for Boyd, he was good for us.

You seem awfa defensive of Boyd just cos I said Chris Burke (exact same age as him and suffered serious illness) is the anti Boyd in terms of fitness.

Yet folk still want Boyd on the coaching staff!

Bobby Williamson wasn’t exactly slim. Won us the cup two years after he stopped playing. Coaching ability isn’t exclusively linked to fitness. Certainly not the personal fitness of the coach.

1 hour ago, NorfolkG said:

Totally agree. Legend status.

Until summer 2018 he was still doing the business. At that point though he was blatantly finished. He could hardly run last season.

Boyd spent his whole career being criticised by people for what he wasn’t. He was the best Scottish finisher of the past twenty years and was the highest scorer in the Premier League at 34. He’s the oldest player to achieve that feat. I’m sure a bunch of super fit slimline players would like to have done that. 

We are unlikely to see a goal scorer like that play so many games for our club again.

Legendary status  in no doubt. 

12 minutes ago, Ayrshire Killie said:

Boyd spent his whole career being criticised by people for what he wasn’t. He was the best Scottish finisher of the past twenty years and was the highest scorer in the Premier League at 34. He’s the oldest player to achieve that feat. I’m sure a bunch of super fit slimline players would like to have done that. 

We are unlikely to see a goal scorer like that play so many games for our club again.

Legendary status  in no doubt. 

Agree 100%

The one real downer of last season was Kris Boyd. We owe him our premier status on a number of occasions and I for one will never forget his turning out in Perth a few days after his brothers tragedy. 

My last memory of him was his inability to move and being stranded under crosses and behind the play when we thumped Accies 5-0. The Boyd of old would have doubled that score that day. 

Boyd and Burke aren't really comparable. Boyd always had a natural tendency to increase in weight, some players have that battle and it tends to shorten their careers (see Rooney as an example). He went through a lot off the pitch in the last few years of his career and he was never one to cope well with being out of the team. I think he retired a season too late to be honest but I'm not going to get on his back for that.

Burke suffered a serious illness that nearly ended his career, he was desperate to get back to being able to play regularly and we gave him a chance at a time when many others would have let him go after a stop, start season. It was a bit of a perfect storm for us that he got himself back to where he wanted to be and appreciated greatly that we gave him the chance to get there. The guy has been incredible for us and I'd happily hand him another year right now knowing at the very least that his work rate and attitude would benefit the club before even looking at the fact he still makes a great contribution on the pitch.

18 hours ago, Ayrshire Killie said:

Bobby Williamson wasn’t exactly slim. Won us the cup two years after he stopped playing. Coaching ability isn’t exclusively linked to fitness. Certainly not the personal fitness of the coach.

Bobby Williamson was one of the fastest players I've seen in a Killie shirt!

He sued to win the sprint challenge on Scotsport all the time.  He was a million times fitter than Boyd.

23 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Bobby Williamson was one of the fastest players I've seen in a Killie shirt!

He sued to win the sprint challenge on Scotsport all the time.  He was a million times fitter than Boyd.

Won a grand doing the Skol Sprint did he not? 91 or 92. Bloody quick so he was.