Why are Saracens still in the Rugby Champions Cup ?

Wrangodog

7 minutes ago, Wrangodog said:

They are being booted out of the English Premiership for persistent salary cap breaches, but the same players involved in those breaches are now in the quarter-final of the premier European club rugby competition and could go on to win it. Surely that isn't right  ? 

Two different companies run the two competitions. European rugby probably don't want to upset the english, as it seems every year they flap their gums about pulling out & running their own thing.

Good question !

First off - Warriors missed out on qualification for quarter Finals by 1 point because they lost a crucial home game they should have won. However, it sticks in the craw that a club found guilty of financial doping is the one who were that 1 point better off. I'd imagine every fan of every other club in England would applaud if the EPRC did the same as Premiership Rugby and booted them out - to Warriors' benefit of course !!

As mentioned, though, these are two different organisations with different rules on wage caps. However, there is no getting away from the fact that Saracens are there because they cheated. Surely breaking the rules of the league you qualified from - notwithstanding they are the holders - means your cheating possibly prevented a different club from qualifying. There is a huge feeling of anger in England about this and I actually think if they were kicked out that Premiership Rugby would let it go as it fires a massive shot across the bows of others.

Whilst I have no sympathy for the experienced players in all of this, albeit they may have been blissfully ignorant of it all, they have a good career. They will get snapped up by other clubs. It's the young up and comers I feel for. If they can't get out of this they may not get a top career or, at best, they could be set back a few years.

Mr Dodson - he of the ridiculous pay package at Murrayfield - seemed keen to sue World Rugby during the World Cup. He should stand up for Warriors now and take issue with EPRC in my opinion.

Mind you - Leinster in Dublin....good day out but a likely doing at the hands of the Blue Machine.

9 hours ago, plunkit said:

Whilst I have no sympathy for the experienced players in all of this, albeit they may have been blissfully ignorant of it all, they have a good career. They will get snapped up by other clubs.

From what I read, most other Premiership clubs are just about maxed out on the salary cap as it is without taking on expensive ex-Sarries.

Going abroad is an option but would cost them their England places.

English RU like to keep control of when their players are available for training camps and obviously have control of their fixture calendar. That disappears when the big stars move to France for the big salaries.

Duncan Taylor & Sean Maitland are playing for the cheating Sarries franchise 6 days before Scotland start the 6N in Dublin, forcing Townsend to omit Taylor from the squad and keeping his fingers firmly crossed Maitland appears injury free as both would be certain squad members. Taylor’s injury record is poor hence his omission. One small problem wee countries like Scotland have to contend with making the playing field even more slanted toward the big nations.