Celtic home, Fred

CB

I thought there were a lot of positives to take from tonight.

Team looked far better organised, playing at better pace and more as a unit. 

I think Bunn looks the part and is getting us up the pitch in ways McKenzie and Millar weren't. 

Kabamba did exactly what Dyer said he'd signed him for - occupied defenders and caused bother. I think he'll be good and keep teams guessing. 

Findlay makes an enormous difference. His delivery is great. 

Having genuine attacking options on the bench was good to see finally and Kiltie didn't look out of place. A few moments where Kabamba and Bunn not on the same wavelength as everyone else - yhat will come. 

Biggest negative is the keepers. Neither are good enough. Hope there's something in Bachmann coming back. 

I thought Bruce was costing us too, but suspect that selection was partly because Del Fabro was coming back from injury. 

Big frustrating take away from me tonight - that's the sort of squad we should have started the season with. Couple of signings like Bunn and Kabamba and I reckon we'd be up in the fight for fourth...

Although it was a struggle, that tonight was night and day from the s**te we witnessed at st mirren. Improvements needed but I’m confident we will do ok between now and the end of the season. Need to focus on getting some players tied up between now and the summer. 

harsh abusing Greg Taylor btw, he was high fiving all the kids at the front of the FB and waving to fans etc...good guy IMO. 

I don't get the criticism for Dicker on here. He made quite a few crucial tackles and passes tonight. Ok not his best game overall, but he's an important player for us. However, I totally agree that he should have been in the ref's face more, and could take notes from Brown on that.

It was clear we missed a Stewart/Mulumbu type to keep possession of the ball further up the field. El Mak is not that player and he should be keeping Power and Dicker on their toes as a defensive midfielder. We desperately need a creative midfielder, even just on loan.

Brophy was much more effective with a partner, and hopefully he and Kabamba Can develop a good understanding.

Celtic were better than us, but we were better than we have been. It wasn't a humping.

Time to splash some cash and get a couple of quality players in. If we're not going for Nisbet, I'll be disappointed.

But I'd ask Celtic about Bayo and Rangers about Stewart.

1 hour ago, skygod said:

They created a lot more clear-cut chances in the second half, not daft things the keeper fumbling s catch. 

No they didn’t. Their more clear cut chances were definitely in the first half. 

Second half - Kop keeps his eye on ball no goal. Findlay doesn’t lose Julian at corner no goal. First half they missed open goal and a guilt edged chance from 7 yards.

You changed your tune from holding our own though despite the actions on park showing the contrary 

27 minutes ago, mitch14 said:

Big frustrating take away from me tonight - that's the sort of squad we should have started the season with. Couple of signings like Bunn and Kabamba and I reckon we'd be up in the fight for fourth...

More than frustrating. I'd say it was disgraceful that we didn't start the season with a stronger squad - whoever it was to blame I don't know and I'm now passed caring but it was blindingly obvious we didn't have enough strength. Why didn't we pick up Bunn months ago? The signings of Sow and Jackson were a total joke. 

Tonight we probably had the strongest bench we've had for months. 

Edited by historyman

I think we need to stop and have a think about how good this Celtic team actually is. 

They beat Lazio home and away. Lazio who have won their last 10 games in Serie A..including against Cristiano Ronaldos Juventus. Rennes also beat PSG this year. 

Due to the nature of Rangers challenge they need to be up for every game and win every game. Sadly when they do this unless we have things go our way we are not going to beat them. The performance was fine tonight considering. When we went to 442 we looked dangerous. My gripe has always been why play with 3 defensive midfielders at home. Thought Brophy and Kabamba looked good together and Kiltie looks sharp. 

Goalkeeper position needs sorted and if we could get Bachmann that would be brilliant. 

That said we need wins now and we should be aiming for this in the next two games. Too close to 11th for my liking. 

I thought there were some positives tonight. Can’t really have any complaints about the result, we were just up against a better team. Good to see Kabamba get another goal - would like to see him and Brophy starting up front together at some point. Also definitely feel we need a better keeper.

Nonetheless it still annoys me how quickly we’ve slipped back to mediocrity and the way in which we as fans have just accepted it. Walking away from the game I was thinking “at least that’s out the way - now we’ve got St J, County and Hearts, these are the games that will define our season.” But then I hated myself for thinking like that - it’s so far away from the attitude I had under Clarke where I genuinely expected us to win every game.

1 minute ago, killie89 said:

Nonetheless it still annoys me how quickly we’ve slipped back to mediocrity and the way in which we as fans have just accepted it. Walking away from the game I was thinking “at least that’s out the way - now we’ve got St J, County and Hearts, these are the games that will define our season.” But then I hated myself for thinking like that - it’s so far away from the attitude I had under Clarke where I genuinely expected us to win every game.

Agreed, but recovery has to start somewhere. Can we get 9 pts from the next 3 and edge back into top six? 

Thought the team showed good effort tonight and caused a strong Celtic side some problems. Defensive lapses have cost us but we'll not be up against players of that calibre every week.

4 minutes ago, historyman said:

More than frustrating. I'd say it was disgraceful that we didn't start the season with a stronger squad - whoever it was to blame I don't know and I'm now passed caring but it was blindingly obvious we didn't have enough strength. Why didn't we pick up Bunn months ago? The signings of Sow and Jackson were a total joke. 

Tonight we probably had the strongest bench we've had for months. 

Yep. Early days yet, but it does feel a bit like the club has learned from all that and reset a bit. Another few players in of similar quality and Bachmann doesn't seem unrealistic. And a bit of hope for the summer if guys like Kabamba are being spotted... Here's hoping anyway 

Think some folk getting carried away with the negativity. We did no bad tonight, first 20 or so we put them under pressure at times and pressed them high. 
niko was poorest he’s been tonight, done for first goal and not great at second. Couple of lucky breaks for Celtic but they had other chances. Difference in quality showed at times.

makrini puts effort in but he had a mare tonight, too many misplaced passes and positioning all over the place at times. That’s not his position but dicker and power won’t be getting dropped. Kiltie or brophy needs to play instead against st Johnstone. 

big man Kabamba did really well I thought.  Won a lot of headers, held up play well at times and took his goal well. Hopefully keeps it up. 

Brophy made a difference When he came on. So much better when he’s not asked to be target man.

bruce can do a job If need be but he’s far too slow. Del fabro if fit should play. 

It certainly was better overall. More pace about the way we moved the ball, and a lot of determination. That level of workrate should pay off against weaker sides. When we went 4-4-2 we certainly caused them problems, and could well have got a 2nd goal.

Would like to see Dyer going with that again, Power and Dicker holding and Brophy and Kabamba up top. Bunn put in a great shift, must have been knackered by the end. Both SOD and Niko were at least further up the park this time. 

6 minutes ago, theboyjohnston said:

Agreed, but recovery has to start somewhere. Can we get 9 pts from the next 3 and edge back into top six? 

Absolutely - I just wish I’d felt more gutted that we’d lost afterwards, whereas in reality I just had the feeling that it was inevitable. It’s been a good couple of years since I’ve felt like that.

3 minutes ago, killie89 said:

Absolutely - I just wish I’d felt more gutted that we’d lost afterwards, whereas in reality I just had the feeling that it was inevitable. It’s been a good couple of years since I’ve felt like that.

Know what you mean and sort of feel the same way, but it's not a bad thing that the highs of winning these games will always eclipse the lows of losing them. Depending on the manner of defeat (last minute sickeners etc) I rarely get too worked up about them. Beating them will always be f**king brilliant though. 

It could have been worse but it could have been better. Their quality showed at times and their referee manipulation at others. No idea why Johnston didn't get booked for that blatant dive and Griffiths for persistent fouling. Power seemed very hesitant in the first half but improved in the second, although he may be in trouble for the tackle on Frimpong. Can't fault the team for effort but we need somebody who can find the right pass or cross when we get close to goal. Bunn looked a bit rusty but should improve with games and Kabamba did well with the service he got. Kiprivec better than Branescu ? Both about the same to be honest. Hopefully Connell in the squad for Saturday. 

40 minutes ago, Wrangodog said:

It could have been worse but it could have been better. Their quality showed at times and their referee manipulation at others. No idea why Johnston didn't get booked for that blatant dive and Griffiths for persistent fouling. Power seemed very hesitant in the first half but improved in the second, although he may be in trouble for the tackle on Frimpong. Can't fault the team for effort but we need somebody who can find the right pass or cross when we get close to goal. Bunn looked a bit rusty but should improve with games and Kabamba did well with the service he got. Kiprivec better than Branescu ? Both about the same to be honest. Hopefully Connell in the squad for Saturday. 

Won't be in trouble for the tackle, was a great challenge! 

Was at the game, but recorded it too and wanted to see some stuff back,but overall thought we were much better tonight than we have been for a good while.

Celtic are a far better side and had loads of play - but we restricted them to only 6 shots on target to our 3

- Koprivec is a bit 'meh', but I don't think we should waste money on another keeper unless they are a proven standout at our level or better (Gordon/Bachmann etc).  What about McKay or Lyle? can't remember who came on in that last game against Rangers - surely he is worth  a run if we are struggling? 

-Niko had a stinker tonight IMO, lots of poor choices.

- I reckon Kebamba and Brophy will do great together against other sides in the league

Don't get the hate for Dicker and El Mak at all, and I think El Mak is a cracking footballer out of position

With Power though they all put a shift in tonight in a tough midfield area, and I can totally see why we play all 3 against Celtic - and probably will against Sevco too unless we're in a set 442 or 4411 by then.  Ideally as others have said I'd have those 3 competing for 2 starting roles in the middle.

Celtics time-wasting and gamesmanship was ridiculous once they scored their 3rd though.  Second only to Hamilton,which is unbelievable given their squad

Power/Frimpong challenge though - pretty much right in front of us (and I missed it at the time!).  Given Frimpong's 'popular guy' reputation I gave him the benefit of the doubt that he was properly injured at the time - until I watched it back that is.

Belter of a strong challenge.

The boy clattered down and has obviously hurt himself (a bit) - but  his reactions were that of an entitled little s**teb@g.

Moaning at everyone around him for the entire time he was laying there.

"don't touch me", "don't move me", all that noise - shouting at the St John's folk,moaning at Power.

"Oh my days", what a little c*nt. 

Brown can f@ck off too - more concerned with getting Power off than his own player.

A reasonable performance, especially second half, but gave away a couple of cheap goals and that was that.

Evident that Bruce is what he is, s back up player. For me Dicker is going backwards and could do with a spell out of the team. His speciality is reading the game, intercepting and redistributing the ball, he didn't do that last night. The goalkeeping position is up for grabs.

Bunn looked effective and kept on going and big Kabamba will be a handful for any defence. Brophy will benefit from the big man and the competition will motivate him to be better. Having Kiltie back is a real bonus.

If we can get a more offensive player in for El Makrini and drop him back to his more natural position we won't be too far away.

Alan Power, what can you say? A beast of a player and a solid fans favourite. A couple of Montyesque tackles last night and led the line by taking to team forward. Soon to be a club legend.

Why wasn't Dicker in the referees face at the Frimpong incident, he has to be a captain and represent his team.

Clarke raised expectations last season. I am disappointed that we lost last night. Just because it's Celtic, don't get blaise in defeat.

The future is bright, the future is blue and white.