Before Football manager and FIFA

Bigdaw

This is for the older Killie fan. In the days because computer games we had to use our imagination. Board games or table football was how you proved your manager skills.

Subbueto was plastic figures in your teams kits. Flicking them around the pitch to create a football match. It was very popular. In Killie a lot of toy and sports shops would sell boxes with all the various teams. If you bought Killie it would also allow you to pretend the strip was other teams around the world who played in the same strip. This was my go to game and i played it as a kid right up to around 16/17....Our street had a League and an away game was at your friends house. I would get my pocket money and head down to the radio doctors and buy new teams or new players to replace broken ones.

Striker was a game with larger figures were you pressed the players head to strike the ball. More expensive to buys teams however. still popular.

Big League was also bigger players were i think you put the ball between the guys legs and flipped the head. 

Wembley was a card game with dice and you were playing in the FA Cup....used to play that in the street with friends, just got a group together laid down the board and you drew out the teams. good  fun.

Any older games any memories ? other games .

8157b32273ff9096766e4318dfd5c559.jpg

51hAN4sn-BL._AC_.jpg

Pict7510.jpg

2009CT3967.jpg

Remember 'Brian Clough's Football Fortunes' ... I think it was called.

It was a mixture of board game and 'PC' .... when PC meant Spectrum or C64.  Random rolls of the computerised dice decided the strength of your team which you then selected from little player cards, the same dice gave you moves around the board and handed out options and challenges such as q midfielder is injured ... so you then rolled the dice to determine which player was dropped.  It also gave the classic .... "Your two best players have died in a car crash" ... lost count of the number of seasons turned on that card !!!

On 1/25/2020 at 11:13 AM, chubbs said:

Remember 'Brian Clough's Football Fortunes' ... I think it was called.

It was a mixture of board game and 'PC' .... when PC meant Spectrum or C64.  Random rolls of the computerised dice decided the strength of your team which you then selected from little player cards, the same dice gave you moves around the board and handed out options and challenges such as q midfielder is injured ... so you then rolled the dice to determine which player was dropped.  It also gave the classic .... "Your two best players have died in a car crash" ... lost count of the number of seasons turned on that card !!!

My mate had that. I can't remember the computer element of it though.

I used to spend hours simulating cup tournaments with this card game...

Bryplay-Cup-Football-Card-Game-1970s-Box

http://www.oldfootballgames.co.uk/index.asp?pageid=123818

Cup Final was the one I remembered when I read the OP. You had to press a button on the back of the player to swing their leg - one player had a foot shaped for lobbing the ball and the other for low shots.

I remember reading through the catalogues for Subbuteo stuff, with the fancy astroturf style pitches with heavy rubber backing, Adidas Tango balls and all that stuff. I guess the modern equivalent is the packs in FIFA.

pic514880.jpg

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, virtuocity said:

That was the original sensi game 

I know what you mean on the original games, but the original version of SWOS had to have an update disk released because of bugs - no mean feat before the internet. I just remember it crashing - although everything crashed on an Amiga 1200..

Thus any nostalgia is probably better served on the later 95 or 96 versions - if you ever end up playing it on an Amiga emulator.

Sensible World of Soccer 1994 Amiga, DOS Features a title song "Goalscoringsuperstarhero" composed by Richard Joseph and Jon Hare. The original SWOS contained a few bugs, which led to complaints. A free update disk to rectify these bugs was released in April 1995 (DOS version converted by Wave Software).
Sensible World of Soccer 95–96 1995 Amiga, DOS Improved version of SWOS. Chris Chapman, the lead programmer said that this was the version they originally wanted to create 

• 2 months later...