Saints away, Fred

CB

I watched the video of the second half on Killie TV.  

It isn’t available until midnight-ish so the viewer is understandably tired and, on this occasion, emotional but not in a good way. 

They divide it into the two halves for some reason so the choice was the equivalent of retiring having read the scene-setting opening chapter of a book or cutting straight to the bloody denouement. 

I knew the ending wasn’t a happy one but nevertheless skipped the opening 45. 

If this is what passes for top-flight Scottish football it should be closed down urgently. 

It was like the football version of trench warfare with both teams trying to gain ground by belting the ball as hard and high as possible towards the opposition lines, only for the opposition to respond by retaliating in kind. 

Every loose ball was fought for with bone-juddering force and blood and snotters filled the air. 

Miskicks and headers sent the ball shooting off in unexpected directions or to ridiculous heights. 

The progress of the contest deserved to be reported not by sports, but war correspondents. 

It was schoolboy football played by grown men. The two managers watched impassively from the sidelines and I found myself thinking, “How do you coach this stuff? Do you teach them to play football all week then unleash them on a Saturday to play a totally different game? Are you pleased with your work?”

Oh, for an outbreak of proper football! For someone to wave a white flag and implore the teams to reduce the pace from breakneck to just hectic; to allow their opponents more than a millisecond on the ball, so that they might attempt to complete more than two consecutive passes. 

The only combattant I could see who had the skill and composure to rise above the morass was Chris Burke. If only he was at the other end of his career - an eager conscript rather than a gnarled veteran, if you will. 

At half time I was actually pretty confident that we would go on and win the game but never expected that gutless second half showing or the lack of leadership from the sidelines! I noticed that Donati was frequently out at Dyer pointing out things but he just seemed to stand immobile and oblivious to it all!

2 goalies who just cannot command their area. 

2 fullbacks who constantly give the opposition wide players far too much room and time to get on the ball. Niko does not provide an outlet up the wing that GT used to. SOD is blinkered and never looks up before passing and constantly makes the wrong decisions on the ball.

The 2 centre half’s are okay but if one of them drops out the team we will struggle as their is no one to step in with any pace.

Dicker and Power try hard but are too easily read by the opposition now and age is catching up with them.

Bunn is an unknown quantity and would assume he’s here on Dyers recommendation but early signs are not encouraging unless when his fitness improves he can offer more of an outlet on the wing.

Kabamba has actually got something about him and in first half was playing decent lay offs and holding the ball up, something lacking since we lost Boyd.

If only we had a team of Burke’s or had another 5 years left in him!

Too early to say if Kiltie will add anything to a jaded squad.

Next 7 days will define our season, we need at least 4 decent players in and to beat Ross County or it really is worrying times.

Got to add that Rory would have brought a bit of commitment yesterday that was missing in some others!

Edited by boydiesback

26 minutes ago, skygod said:

It isn’t available until midnight-ish so the viewer is understandably tired and, on this occasion, emotional but not in a good way. 

They divide it into the two halves for some reason so the choice was the equivalent of retiring having read the scene-setting opening chapter of a book or cutting straight to the bloody denouement. 

If this is what passes for top-flight Scottish football it should be closed down urgently. 

It was like the football version of trench warfare with both teams trying to gain ground by belting the ball as hard and high as possible towards the opposition lines, only for the opposition to respond by retaliating in kind. 

Every loose ball was fought for with bone-juddering force and blood and snotters filled the air. 

Miskicks and headers sent the ball shooting off in unexpected directions or to ridiculous heights. 

The progress of the contest deserved to be reported not by sports, but war correspondents. 

It was schoolboy football played by grown men. The two managers watched impassively from the sidelines and I found myself thinking, “How do you coach this stuff? Do you teach them to play football all week then unleash them on a Saturday to play a totally different game? Are you pleased with your work?”

Oh, for an outbreak of proper football! For someone to wave a white flag and implore the teams to reduce the pace from breakneck to just hectic; to allow their opponents more than a millisecond on the ball, so that they might attempt to complete more than two consecutive passes. 

The only combattant I could see who had the skill and composure to rise above the morass was Chris Burke. If only he was at the other end of his career - an eager conscript rather than a gnarled veteran, if you will. 

Can’t disagree re second half. It was painful.

First half was a fair bit better. We tried to play out from back, had some interesting link-up and Kiltie, Power, Burke and Kabamba showed a decent amount of technicality.

In general, I feel the standard in the top flight has dropped this season. The league had definitely been improving in the four or five years previous. But when that happens, in our financial climate, all teams are open to being muscled. The league has lost, off the top of my head, guys like Rodgers, Clarke, Dembele, Shinnie, McGinn, McLean, Stewart and Jones (effectively), Mulumbu, Bachmann and McGeouch. None of these have been replaced with like-for-like quality. So the standard inevitably drops.

Added to that, a rush of young players (like Smith at Killie and Banks at Dundee United) heading south way too early.

Edited by NorfolkG

I was at the Brentford - Leicester Cup-tie yesterday and, while it was unsatisfying that both teams were essentially reserves, the players could all play. 

Control, pass, link up, move into space, retain possession....things that have nothing to do with the amount of money you’re being paid but basic football skills. 

The difference in quality was stark. 

31 minutes ago, skygod said:

That’s a very entertaining post, if only the football matched it. 

Yesterday was the first time Ive watched  us on tv for years and it was like watching an amateur game up the park. We hardly got out our own half in the second half and I can’t genuinely think of many times we put more than 2 passes together in a move. Absolutely shocking to watch. 

1 hour ago, skygod said:

I was at the Brentford - Leicester Cup-tie yesterday and, while it was unsatisfying that both teams were essentially reserves, the players could all play. 

Control, pass, link up, move into space, retain possession....things that have nothing to do with the amount of money you’re being paid but basic football skills. 

The difference in quality was stark. 

Spl is english league 2 level. Rangers/Celtic english league 1. None of our players can pass the ball(apart from burke, but he has nobody to pass to). Mulumbu showed what 1 good player in your spfl team can do. 

16 minutes ago, andy123 said:

Spl is english league 2 level. Rangers/Celtic english league 1. None of our players can pass the ball(apart from burke, but he has nobody to pass to). Mulumbu showed what 1 good player in your spfl team can do. 

Players like Mulumbu stick out when they are playing a level below themselves .Thats why the infirm are so far ahead,they have players who are way above SPL level and anyone showing up for the rest are signed up even if it's to sit on the bench.

1 hour ago, andy123 said:

Utter nonsense. You sound like your stereotypical EPL fanboy that listens to TalkSPORT.  Would Peterborough get to the last 32 of the Europa League? Get a grip. 

1 hour ago, andy123 said:

Spl is english league 2 level - nonsense 

Rangers/Celtic english league 1 - nonsense

None of our players can pass the ball(apart from burke, but he has nobody to pass to) - mostly correct

Mulumbu showed what 1 good player in your spfl team can do - correct

FTFY

1 hour ago, skygod said:

I think the OF’s progress in Europe shows they are a lot better than League One. 

The rest I would put in lower Championship/ League One level at the moment. 

we wouldnt survive in league 1. Old firm in Europe!!! Celtic never even qualified for the champions league. They are now europa where all the bigger clubs play their reserve players in most games. I dont see not qualifying for champions league as progress 

Noticed the trend over the last few years of lower (or non) league players coming to Scotland's top league.

The money down there has killed opportunity for most teams up here to get anyone decent at a fair price (wages mostly), so our league standard has gradually slipped year on year. Most games are a struggle to watch, including St Mirren and Aberdeen that I'm watching now, although St Mirren are exhibiting plenty of desire (enough to gain a point and keep a clean sheet).

Anyone that does shine up here and earns a transfer South almost inevitably returns a year or so later having failed to replicate their SPL form.
Something needs to change at the very top, someone with vision and a plan to revolutionise the game up here or we'll continue the cycle of decline