Ayr United Away

Ngonge88

I think back to July 2017, that game at Somerset...

At the moment it seems very similar to back then, SOD doesn't seem up for it enough, our centre mids would get over run by a hard working ayr side, albeit not overly talented, and we dont create enough chances to score goals.

Back.To.Square.One

Far too much made of the CQN game. In the 1st half second leg we created a stack load of chances, but missed them all.  The bottom line on it though- it was the first signs of the lack of proper preparation for this season. Everything has been in recovery mode since then. Suffered from a lack of pre season friendlies because we presumed we would be playing a bit more European football. We had to resort to playing some cobbled together Motherwell side on a public park ffs.

6 minutes ago, CYRILLRIP said:

Far too much made of the CQN game. In the 1st half second leg we created a stack load of chances, but missed them all.  The bottom line on it though- it was the first signs of the lack of proper preparation for this season. Everything has been in recovery mode since then. Suffered from a lack of pre season friendlies because we presumed we would be playing a bit more European football. We had to resort to playing some cobbled together Motherwell side on a public park ffs.

I think the fears are that we are back at the pre SC days, which has much more potential to wreck our season than our UEFA farce tbh

Come on folks, it's Ayr United that we are talking about here. Get a grip. We would beat them over two legs no problem. We are bad at the moment, but not that bad that we couldn't beat that manky mob. Got to remain hopeful that there's a couple of last minute quality signings coming in then we shall see where we are at. A massive game to come on Saturday 

14 minutes ago, funky monkey said:

Come on folks, it's Ayr United that we are talking about here. Get a grip. We would beat them over two legs no problem. We are bad at the moment, but not that bad that we couldn't beat that manky mob. Got to remain hopeful that there's a couple of last minute quality signings coming in then we shall see where we are at. A massive game to come on Saturday 

We couldn’t beat CQN over two legs and they were comfortably beaten by a rotten Partick side in the biscuit cup. On current performances and form I wouldn’t be counting my chickens beating Ayr or any Championship side over two legs. We are dreadful in case you haven’t noticed.

5 minutes ago, Mojike and Bod said:

We couldn’t beat CQN over two legs and they were comfortably beaten by a rotten Partick side in the biscuit cup. On current performances and form I wouldn’t be counting my chickens beating Ayr or any Championship side over two legs. We are dreadful in case you haven’t noticed.

Why would the CQN debacle be a reference point for any potential play off?

What is it that would make us fearful of Ayr United?

We have been s**te all season, but if required we would beat Ayr United in a play off.

10 minutes ago, funky monkey said:

Why would the CQN debacle be a reference point for any potential play off?

I’d hasten a guess and say Ayr, Inverness, Dunfermline are all better sides than CQN so we shouldn’t take any them for granted IF we meet them in a play off. 

The season started with a debacle and could easily end with one of we are not careful. I suspect Hibs thought they would comfortably beat Accies over two games in the play off when they lost to them a few years ago.

4 minutes ago, Mojike and Bod said:

I’d hasten a guess and say Ayr, Inverness, Dunfermline are all better sides than CQN so we shouldn’t take any them for granted IF we meet them in a play off. 

The season started with a debacle and could easily end with one of we are not careful. I suspect Hibs thought they would comfortably beat Accies over two games in the play off when they lost to them a few years ago.

CQN was a disaster, but I still don't see why you would use it as a reference point for a potential play off. You could equally use any of our performances this season as a reference point, why choose CQN?

Lets just not get to the play off question. It is a lot easier to take some points off the dross down the bottom of the SPL than it would be to win a 2 leg play off against a championship side who are flying like Livi were.

All we need are a modest number of wins against some real dross. That's where the focus should lie. Saturday last was a real embarrassment. St Johnstone are not even that good but we let them totally dominate the 2nd half. The problem is all in the heads of the players.  

2 minutes ago, KillieBantam said:

love the defeated attitude of talking about the relegation playoff in January...

Exactly. Seems that some of us are willing the club into it.

Whilst our current situation is grim, there's a new found level of negativity on this thread that's ridiculous.

Edited by funky monkey

6 minutes ago, funky monkey said:

CQN was a disaster, but I still don't see why you would use it as a reference point for a potential play off. You could equally use any of our performances this season as a reference point, why choose CQN?

As they were easily beaten by the worst side in the Scottish Championship? Work it out FFS it’s not rocket science.

15 minutes ago, funky monkey said:

It's clearly rocket science for you. A ridiculous comparison. How much would Thistle beat us by then?

You seem to think we would comfortably beat one of the better sides in the Scottish Championship with ease over two games. When we couldn’t beat a team of Welsh part timers over two legs. The comparison to Thistle is against the quality of CQN. Thistle pumped them which tells you all about how good CQN are in relation to Scottish Championship sides.

My point being we should hardly count our chickens against the better Championship sides when we lost to a crap part time Welsh side. You seem to fail to grasp this logic. 

1 hour ago, Mojike and Bod said:

Yes at the moment we can take nothing for granted. Another big fear is how we could motivate quite a few guys probably playing their last game for us!!

13 minutes ago, david mcbeth said:

That reminds me of a chat I heard from Livingston fans as we left their then brand new Stadium after a friendly in which they horsed us ? 5-2. The previous Saturday we had beaten Raith Rovers 5-1 and the previous week Raith had only narrowly lost 2-1 to Bayern Munich in Europe. The Livi  fans were trying to calculate how much they would beat Bayren Munich by if they ever got the chance to play them! 

Exactly. The same sort of rationale that had Scotland as world champions after beating England in 67. The wonderful logic of the football supporter.

12 minutes ago, Mojike and Bod said:

You seem to think we would comfortably beat one of the better sides in the Scottish Championship with ease over two games. When we couldn’t beat a team of Welsh part timers over two legs. The comparison to Thistle is against the quality of CQN. Thistle pumped them which tells you all about how good CQN are in relation to Scottish Championship sides.

My point being we should hardly count our chickens against the better Championship sides when we lost to a crap part time Welsh side. You seem to fail to grasp this logic. 

I reference the Falkirk play off win, a better comparison than CQN.. I have every confidence that we would win a two legged play off final if it happens. Outside of Dundee United, the quality in the championship isn't great. 

Anyway, it's only January. A couple of confidence boosting signings and a win on Saturday will go a long way to banishing this ridiculous pessimism.

Edited by funky monkey

5 minutes ago, funky monkey said:

I reference the Falkirk play off win, a better comparison than CQN.. I have every confidence that we would win a two legged play off final if it happens. Outside of Dundee United, the quality in the championship isn't great. 

Anyway, it's only January. A couple of confidence boosting signings and a win on Saturday will go a long way to banishing this ridiculous pessimism.

The biggest difference then and now is that we had a decent pedigree of goal scorers who made the difference over the 2 playoff games. Boyd also delivered the goal at Easter Road which kept us up. I have little confidence that we will see a 10+ goal player this season. Having been on the pitch at Palmerston in 88, it was gut wrenching. Let’s not be the next Falkirk, Partick or Morton. Tick Tock. 

1 minute ago, Last Atari Moron said:

The biggest difference then and now is that we had a decent pedigree of goal scorers who made the difference over the 2 playoff games. Boyd also delivered the goal at Easter Road which kept us up. I have little confidence that we will see a 10+ goal player this season. Having been on the pitch at Palmerston in 88, it was gut wrenching. Let’s not be the next Falkirk, Partick or Morton. Tick Tock. 

Plus, dare I say it, Dyer has shown absolutely nothing to indicate he is as good a manager as Lee Clark.  And we all know he was far from the greatest!

18 minutes ago, funky monkey said:

The Falkirk play off win was 3 years ago with a completely different squad, what are you on about?

The comparison with CQ at least makes sense because it was this season, with this squad, against a poor team in a big game. 

1 hour ago, funky monkey said:

I think its a fair enough comparison.

A team we are obviously better than on paper.

A relegation play-off would mean a continuation of our current form and the mood that comes with that.  Add in apathy from players who 90% of which would be leaving immediately after the second game anyway and I can confidently predict that we would be sht!ting it over those 2 legs.

Killie absolutely should win a game like that, but its also the exact type of tie that the phrase "the script was written" was invented for...

Given our recent form, our next 5 league games could see us going into March bottom of the league - we might be gagging for a playoff by then.

That said - a few decent acquisitions before the end of the window (that we show zero sign of doing) and two wins against County and Hearts and we'll worry what all this fuss was about. 

Edited by dasboag

1 hour ago, Last Atari Moron said:

I understand your fear, it's only natural that we should be fearful given our poor run of form and our lack of signings this transfer window. There's a big battle ahead.

I too was on the pitch at Palmerston with transistor radio in hand when the dreadful news came through from Firhill. I don't want to experience that feeling again.

Edited by funky monkey