Colin Stein

Ken T

Here's one for the old gits like me. Was thinking what we need up front to help Brophy and it reminded me of the predicament we were in when Ian Fallis was tragically killed. Fair play to Rangers as they immediately offered us Colin Stein on loan for the rest of that season. I was thinking at the time he was a has been (although checking back he was actually only 30!), then in his first game v Dumbarton I think he picks up the ball 25 yards out and with minimal backlift crashes a torpedo off the crossbar. The rest of that season he turned Donnie McDowall into a previously unseen lethal finisher.

So my thinking was rather than our recent scattergun approach recruiting a rogues gallery of strikers, should we not be looking for the equivalent of Colin Stein to help Brophy at a crucial stage of his development? Someone like Stephen Dobbie perhaps. Thoughts?

5 minutes ago, Ken T said:

Here's one for the old gits like me. Was thinking what we need up front to help Brophy and it reminded me of the predicament we were in when Ian Fallis was tragically killed. Fair play to Rangers as they immediately offered us Colin Stein on loan for the rest of that season. I was thinking at the time he was a has been (although checking back he was actually only 30!), then in his first game v Dumbarton I think he picks up the ball 25 yards out and with minimal backlift crashes a torpedo off the crossbar. The rest of that season he turned Donnie McDowall into a previously unseen lethal finisher.

So my thinking was rather than our recent scattergun approach recruiting a rogues gallery of strikers, should we not be looking for the equivalent of Colin Stein to help Brophy at a crucial stage of his development? Someone like Stephen Dobbie perhaps. Thoughts?

I remember as a kid watching killie in the late 60s the song killie fans uesd to sing about him colin stein the biggest bum youve ever seen

6 minutes ago, killie1961 said:

I remember as a kid watching killie in the late 60s the song killie fans uesd to sing about him colin stein the biggest bum youve ever seen

Colin. Colin. Colin Stein, the biggest bum you've ever seen . A hundred thousand down the drain cos we've got tommy mc clean . 

Lot of time for Dobbie. Has for a good few years now been playing for them when it's apparent he could have cut it higher up for longer than he did.

He promised QoS fans he would be back to finish his career and stuck with that. He won't move on now. It's actually nice to see a guy do the decent thing. 

46 minutes ago, historyman said:

I’ve seen Dobbie play a couple of times for QoS in the last few seasons and he is streets ahead of the other players on the pitch.

Doesn't have any pace but his skill, control and intelligence more than make up for it. 

You mean he is like Kris Boyd.