Named and shamed

skygod

A Kilmarnock teenager has been banned from football grounds and ordered to complete unpaid work after shouting racist abuse at Rugby Park.

Brad Taylor, 19, made the racist remark towards another man at the stadium on September 25. 

The incident took place as Killie played Hibernian in the Betfred Cup quarter-finals.

Taylor was banned from all designated football grounds for 12 months and ordered to complete 50 hours of unpaid work. 

Taylor, of Turnberry Drive, also pleaded guilty to behaving in a threatening or abusive manner on January 22 at Portland Road in Kilmarnock by acting aggressively towards police, shouting, swearing and refusing to desist when told to do so. He committed this crime while on bail for the matter in September.

He was sentenced to a community payback order for four months and ordered to complete 30 hours of unpaid work.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/ayrshire/teen-banned-football-grounds-after-21429216

Edited by skygod

@Trojan, NorfolkG, Killie Allan, Killieboykfc

I read your posts and wished a great pile of fickin kike on your otherwise balanced, self-reflective, legendary-kickback souls.

There are a great many good things about growing up in Ayrshire and the west of Scotland but an early learning of "awa' ya wee twat" or similar, delivered in a manly tone (or text!) is not, imo, one of those.

We have no idea about the background of this kid and certainly not courtesy of the Daily Record. We know our community includes multiple generations of drug users, alcohol or other and that for many, 'awa' ye wee twat' is the maximum engagement they have enjoyed from their otherwise distracted parents. There is no mither, as in the case of Shay Logan's abuser, to say he wasn't brought up this way. And big respect to Shay Logan. A dismissive, demeaning response to the troubles of the lad, whatever the cause, helps nobody.

I'm not suggesting our community liaison officer meets the lad for breakfast. But mibbe that's a good idea, he is a supporter?! 

I'd really like to see the club, supported by supporters, tackling the issues of alcohol, drugs, gambling, social non-participation and isolation, ill health, mental and physical, head on, without judgement. A real mad-mental community club!

It's not a matter of taking the moral high ground on these issues, just the decision to leave them to Anheuser-Busch, Columbia, Paddy Power, the socially-lucky, judgemental and ubercool....they are pretty powerful enough.

Surely we can be different?

Edited by mackpomm

3 hours ago, mackpomm said:

I read your posts and wished a great pile of fickin kike on your otherwise balanced, self-reflective, legendary-kickback souls.

There are a great many good things about growing up in Ayrshire and the west of Scotland but an early learning of "awa' ya wee twat" or similar, delivered in a manly tone (or text!) is not, imo, one of those.

We have no idea about the background of this kid and certainly not courtesy of the Daily Record. We know our community includes multiple generations of drug users, alcohol or other and that for many, 'awa' ye wee twat' is the maximum engagement they have enjoyed from their otherwise distracted parents. There is no mither, as in the case of Shay Logan's abuser, to say he wasn't brought up this way. And big respect to Shay Logan. A dismissive, demeaning response to the troubles of the lad, whatever the cause, helps nobody.

I'm not suggesting our community liaison officer meets the lad for breakfast. But mibbe that's a good idea, he is a supporter?! 

I'd really like to see the club, supported by supporters, tackling the issues of alcohol, drugs, gambling, social non-participation and isolation, ill health, mental and physical, head on, without judgement. A real mad-mental community club!

It's not a matter of taking the moral high ground on these issues, just the decision to leave them to Anheuser-Busch, Columbia, Paddy Power, the socially-lucky, judgemental and ubercool....they are pretty powerful enough.

There are plenty of agencies that tackle the problems you mention.

A football club can recognise them but it is not their job to deal with them.

What next?

"Oh you're a radicalised jihadist that wants to commit acts of terror on a grand scale?." 

"You're a Killie fan you say? No problem. Pop down to Rugby Park for a wee blether then"

4 hours ago, mackpomm said:

You have no idea on his background either he might come from a nice family and hes just a racist ned 

Before sentencing, courts frequently ask for background reports on defendants so that their social circumstances can be taken into account. 

Even if the court doesn’t request such reports, the defendant’s counsel can make a plea in mitigation. 

If these things happened and the court handed down the sentences it did, it’s not really for us to question that he maybe just needed a hug and a blether.

I hesitated before posting the report on here but, since it involved racism in a match at RP, I thought it worth showing that we are not, if you’ll excuse the pun, whiter than white as a support. 

Mods might want to move it if the discussion is going to be broadened.  

8 hours ago, mackpomm said:

Ultimately, it’s not enough to tackle racism to continue to punish – and then wait for the next scapegoat to present him/herself.  And please note that I say this on a far wider context than simply the actions of some kid from Turnberry Road.  You only have to look so far as the reaction to the recent Megan Markle stuff to see how ingrained our attitude to racism is in terms of failing to look past the overt variety.

Being racist might, as you say, be involuntary – but this is hardly the area that Kilmarnock Football Club should be concerned with.  The club has to take a firm stance to mirror policies of education, and tackling possible environmental factors – but the latter without the former won’t work either.

Tackle the causes, tackle the symptoms – only way anything will change.  Either in isolation perpetuates the problem.  I think we’ve made the right move here.

On 2/2/2020 at 10:41 PM, NorfolkG said:

I’d be surprised if El Makrini’s not here next season. I thought he did very well in a role he doesn’t know and his ball-winning stats are very good. With another year left, I’d expect him to stay.

Unless 

10 hours ago, mackpomm said:

He’s not a supporter thought. Like I said, I know who he is. 

He was a hun last week. 

He is a fat Ned and that’s it. 

Sigh, perhaps I could have adopted a different tone, sorry folks....I went a bit heavy on the homemade Arak. I take full personal responsibility, no need for the community liaison officer to call.

An oversight, I ommitted to mention the redistribution of income, firefighting and dogwalking in the list of social care activities facing KFC.

I do think that a football club active in the community, talking to schools and media, through commercial and non commercial brand development, can communicate a wide range of social values without being directly involved in rehabilitation. And we are all actively involved. Perhaps St Mirrens recently announced partnership with child care charity Kibble, who will take 27.5% ownership is a route worth investigating.

As for the Jihadists. Yes but only one Stand.

Edited by mackpomm

It's simple. The club's mantra should be 'Fat dudes thin dudes bald dudes hairy dudes we'll take em all. Everybody welcome just treat others with courtesy!' 

This is the right thing to do and it also makes commercial sense. Anything that puts people off coming (like the behaviour of this guy) needs to be firmly dealt with or maybe folk like looking at 12000 empty seats? 

4 hours ago, DrewWylie said:

Or he maybe made a daft comment a bit like that ITN newsreader we don’t know do we 

There’s a difference between a “daft comment” and being a racist. 

No excuse for racism at all. I’ve shouted a lot of things at the football that I maybe look back on and think “aw that was a bit daft of me” but never once have I even considered racially abusing someone. 

There’s no defending it.