old Killie picture

Bigdaw

4 minutes ago, Bigdaw said:

I started supporting Killie around 1974 ish .....Did Brian Rodman make the Germany world cup squad ? Pretty small for a centre half , I can't say i remember him much , I am guessing he was a ball playing centre half.

GW1334H1252.jpeg

Wasn’t in the WC squad. Only time he was in the squad was 1975 in the awful 5-1 defeat at Wembley. Thankfully he didn’t get on, but never made another squad.

2 minutes ago, Bigdaw said:

Gordon Smith was a skillful player , The ghost was his nickname. Seemed to glide across the park . Not one for a hard tackle though.  

Sam Maxwell had a great shot and seemed to score a lot for a right back.

Casper was his nickname

Maxwell was mainly a midfielder

Edited by Killie Conman

1 hour ago, BigD'sGingerLorry said:

Wasn’t George Maxwell Gordon Smith’s PE teacher when he signed for Kilmarnock?

Rodman was a PE teacher too, as alluded to in the newspaper cutting.

When he first came into the team, and for a while afterwards, he was a bit of a whipping boy. He really wasn't very good and I would never have believed he would get so close to a Scotland cap.

But he improved and became a really good centre half.

Edited by skygod

1 hour ago, Bigdaw said:

I started supporting Killie around 1974 ish .....Did Brian Rodman make the Germany world cup squad ? Pretty small for a centre half , I can't say i remember him much , I am guessing he was a ball playing centre half.

GW1334H1252.jpeg

Willie Ormond announced a large provisional squad for the 1974 World Cup which included Brian Rodman. Rodman didn't make the final squad.

1 hour ago, Jimmy Superscot said:

Casper the friendly ghost because someone said he reminded them of the late, great John White of Spurs and Scotland who died when struck by lightning while playing golf.

First time I've heard that, he certainly didn't resemble John White in appearance. At the time I thought the nickname "Casper" came from his ability to ghost past defenders. 

3 hours ago, Bigdaw said:

GW1334H1252.jpeg

No. He made the subs bench a few times including England v Scotland 1975 at the Wembley 5-1 doing.

14 hours ago, Bigdaw said:

GW1334H1252.jpeg

Not a very German name. Can’t have been many Killie players play for Germany.