HS2

Scooter

3 minutes ago, Bonbon19 said:

Motorways / Dual carriageways / A roads /  B roads the deadliest thing on all of them is the driver of the car . 
It’s not the responsibility of the govt , the roads authorities, the councils etc how you drive that car , it’s the individual 

And how does the driver get the information he needs about the conditions ahead? You don't want to answer, do you?

2 minutes ago, Scooter said:

We're talking about motorways... when you're driving at 70mph, how do do become aware of conditions ahead?

Simple don’t drive at 70mph if the conditions dictate. 
That’s the same as saying on lots of country roads the speed limit is 60 mph but you wouldn’t drive at that speed if your unaware of what’s ahead . On a smart motorway or any motorway be aware of possible obstructions on the road . 
‘I’m pretty sure if a driver hits the car in front at any speed that that driver is almost always charged with careless/reckless driving . 

5 minutes ago, Bonbon19 said:

Simple don’t drive at 70mph if the conditions dictate. 
That’s the same as saying on lots of country roads the speed limit is 60 mph but you wouldn’t drive at that speed if your unaware of what’s ahead . On a smart motorway or any motorway be aware of possible obstructions on the road . 
‘I’m pretty sure if a driver hits the car in front at any speed that that driver is almost always charged with careless/reckless driving . 

You keep answering your own questions here. You wouldn't drive at 70mph on a motorway either "if your unaware of what’s ahead"

It is the responsibility of the govt , the roads authorities to give drivers the information they need to drive safely, so again, how do you become aware of driving conditions ahead?

Edited by Scooter

3 minutes ago, Scooter said:

And how does the driver get the information he needs about the conditions ahead? You don't want to answer, do you?

If you’re the type of driver that needs information about what’s half a mile or more ahead of you on a straight piece of road , and your not able to adjust your speed accordingly , because the sign when you entered that road says 70mph and you think it’s your god given right to drive at that speed , then perhaps you should not be driving ? 

20 minutes ago, Bonbon19 said:

If you’re the type of driver that needs information about what’s half a mile or more ahead of you on a straight piece of road , and your not able to adjust your speed accordingly , because the sign when you entered that road says 70mph and you think it’s your god given right to drive at that speed , then perhaps you should not be driving ? 

Making assumptions about "the type of driver" folk are isn't helpful and again, throws any blame for incidents their way.

C'mon, we'll get to the answer in the end... driving at 70mph isn't a god given right, it's a government given right, unless there is information to the contrary to drive at that speed. How would drivers get that information?

(this isn't a test btw, it's basic Highway Code, which to a man who boasts about having done an Advanced Driving Course, should be easier than this for you)

Edited by Scooter

28 minutes ago, Bhamkillieken said:

anyway back to HS2, typical government cant forecast cap ex anywhere near the true value.

i had to go london the other day for a meeting, didnt have the chance to pre-book my tickets, god only knows how much a ticket will be post hs2.

The argument is that tickets will be more expensive if they don't complete HS2. 

The draft report says that "large ticket price rises" would be needed if HS2 does not go ahead to prevent excessive demand for travel at peak times. 

1 hour ago, Scooter said:

Making assumptions about "the type of driver" folk are isn't helpful and again, throws any blame for incidents their way.

C'mon, we'll get to the answer in the end... driving at 70mph isn't a god given right, it's a government given right, unless there is information to the contrary to drive at that speed. How would drivers get that information?

(this isn't a test btw, it's basic Highway Code, which to a man who boasts about having done an Advanced Driving Course, should be easier than this for you)

Top ten tips to stay within the limit

Also available to download: as a factsheet and poster.

Top 10 Tips Poster

Many car drivers unintentionally exceed the speed limit, often without realising it. Modern cars are so powerful and comfortable they give drivers little sensation of their speed. It is too easy to creep above the limit, and in particular, many drivers believe it is difficult to drive a modern car at no more than 30 mph on a road with a 30 mph limit. Drivers are responsible for the speeds at which they choose to drive, but there are some simple and practical things drivers who find it difficult to stay with speed limits can do to help themselves.

1. Check your speedometer regularly, especially when leaving high speed roads
  2. Know the limits – look for signs, especially at junctions
  3. Assume lamp posts mean 30 mph, until signs say otherwise, but remember it could be 20 mph
  4. Remember, speed limits are a maximum, not a target
  5. 20's plenty when kids are about – and may even be too fast
  6. Try no higher than 3rd gear in a 30 mph limit
  7. Recognise what makes you speed - keeping up with traffic, overtaking or being tailgated
  8. Concentrate – distracted drivers speed
  9. Slow down when entering villages
  10. Give yourself time – there's no need to speed and you won't get there quicker

This is the recommendations of ROSPA it says 30mph but it’s applicable to any road . No’s 1,4, 7,8 and 10 are apt . that’s how you become aware . Note the the sentence beginning with “ drivers are responsible for the speeds which they chose to drive” . Taking your argument a step further , why don’t we blame the car manufacturers for making cars that can travel at speeds in excess of the limits? Why is this ? Could it  be that they can’t be held responsible for individuals making errors of judgement . I’ve never seen the section of the Highway Code that states that the govt can be held responsible for this 

Also I’m willing to bet that some of the motorists involved in the unfortunate fatal crashes were prosecuted for careless/reckless/dangerous driving . As far as I’m aware no government department has been taken to court by any of the families involved . 

Edited by Bonbon19

2 hours ago, Prahakillie said:

The argument is that tickets will be more expensive if they don't complete HS2. 

The draft report says that "large ticket price rises" would be needed if HS2 does not go ahead to prevent excessive demand for travel at peak times. 

i think my ticket was £130, invest £100b plus what will it be then

37 minutes ago, Bhamkillieken said:

i think my ticket was £130, invest £100b plus what will it be then

The issue with the railways is the same as everything Hilds touched, loney leaves the system and finds it's way into the pockets if the 1%.

Most european rail systems are nationalised so the long game can be played by these countries.   Private enterprise wont do that and think 5-10 years at most (unless your japanese who always have a longer term plan).

Also the issue I have with HS2 is it's another one of these so called projects of so called national importance so Sxots have to fuclong pay 10% of it for absolutely zero benefit again.  Just as we did for londom crossrail, london sewers, etc.  But any infrastructure improvement in Scotland comes out of our refund from our taxes.  WM is having its cake and eating it on this and EVEL.

3 hours ago, Bonbon19 said:
  •  
This is the recommendations of ROSPA it says 30mph but it’s applicable to any road . No’s 1,4, 7,8 and 10 are apt . that’s how you become aware . Note the the sentence beginning with “ drivers are responsible for the speeds which they chose to drive” . Taking your argument a step further , why don’t we blame the car manufacturers for making cars that can travel at speeds in excess of the limits? Why is this ? Could it  be that they can’t be held responsible for individuals making errors of judgement . I’ve never seen the section of the Highway Code that states that the govt can be held responsible for this 

Also I’m willing to bet that some of the motorists involved in the unfortunate fatal crashes were prosecuted for careless/reckless/dangerous driving . As far as I’m aware no government department has been taken to court by any of the families involved . 

Irrelevant to the question of how you become aware of oncoming incidents that have just happened, but I can quite understand why you're beating about the bush and answering your own question instead ... 9_9

Trying to avoid the drivel posted on here as much as I can, but in answer to the original “grievance” (yawn), exactly nothing is contributed from the Scottish Government to HS2. However, 2% of the cost is allocated to GERS as there is deemed to be a small benefit with overall UK journey times reduced. The major point though is that Scotland wins again overall, as Barnett means a windfall of over 9% of the total cost allocated to England i.e 98%. Thank goodness the English people are not grievance mongers like us and don’t count every penny spent in Scotland that that cover. Hope this helps. (Await the sh1te, p1sh, imperial masters replies from the hard of understanding and ill informed. It’s all they’ve got left).

1 hour ago, Mclean07 said:

However, 2% of the cost is allocated to GERS as there is deemed to be a small benefit with overall UK journey times reduced. 

Making all trains electric, lighter and able to start and stop quicker would cost less and have a greater result on journey times.

HS2 is only of use if your destination is greater London AND you start in Birmingham. The idea of changing trains at Birmingham from other areas of the country, to then shave off 30 mins journey time into London, is in practice utterly farcical. If it went further North the benefits would be more even spread, but the lines too short to be of any use outwit population centres it serves,  If as mentioned above, they linked HS2 to HS1 and you could get a Eurostar abroad from Birmingham, might be a different story - cutting that tunnel in London saved £4billion but chopped Southern connectivity to anywhere North of London - which in a £100bn project of national importance etc etc - is well worth highlighting!

Edited by RAG