AGM

Pelesboots

Very little to report, prob because it was a fairly professional, comprehensive, and positive update, from all who presented.

Fow did football

Phylis did financials

Cathy did Trust/Fans

still planning office block and pitches behind Moffat, shop will relocate here too.

night ended with Q&A with Fow and Dyer but nothing really to report usual bloke there every year asking questions he is never going to get answers too about individual player ?????

Edited by Andy

It was a strange night. I thought the board would get a bit of stick but nothing really. No mention of Angelo at all. Still not sure what we got for Taylor but I’m not sure it’s close to the club record we hoped. We have apparently got the sixth highest wage budget in the division. Given the squad size I took that as we are paying too much for some who aren’t contributing. 

Plenty happening and loads of positives. 150th was a bit of a disaster IMO and Cathy tried to put a gloss on it. We seem in a decent financial footing and looking forward rather than back. 

I thought Fowler spoke well. To me it sounded like we had nothing in key areas when he joined and he’s working to put that right. Brought in some scouting staff and introduced technology to help in different areas including recruitment, training and recovery. He sounded positive and passionate about it. He touched on the window and wasn’t happy with it. Deals fell through and Dyer halted a couple. IMO Dyer will be our manager next season. I’m not sure that’s the right move but he appears to have a good working relationship with Fowler and the board. It’s imperative that we get him or anyone else the proper support though. When asked about Hendrie Dyer didn’t miss. I suspect if St Clair has been brought up the answer would have been very similar

It sounds very much like the focus is shifting back to youth development. Loads of talk about pathways and getting player coming through the ranks to support the first team. What was heartening was that Fowler mentioned our responsibility to players and helping them if they were leaving us. 

9 minutes ago, piffer said:

We have apparently got the sixth highest wage budget in the division. Given the squad size I took that as we are paying too much for some who aren’t contributing  

This sticks out for me. We have such a small squad there must be a few on good money relatively speaking who aren’t deserving of it. 

One of these could be Hendrie. If he isn’t knocking on the door to get a start there is something far wrong. No matter how badly Niko plays (and he’s had some really poor games recently) he will keep his place. 

2 minutes ago, historyman said:

Well I don’t think that’s right. How could a board presenting a review of the business fail to pass comment on the single most important recent event that has impacted the business? 

They didn’t mention it at all. I thought it was guaranteed to be brought up in the Q&A sections but nothing. Wasn’t mentioned in either part with Fowler either. 

We made a loss of £157k in the six months to November? 

Did we pay Celtic to take Taylor off our hands? 

Even if paid in instalments, which it would be, surely we got a sizeable instalment up front? 

This period would also have included the SPFL payout and SFA comp for SC.

Maybe UEFA money too. 

Edited by skygod

4 minutes ago, skygod said:

Even if paid in instalments, which it would be, surely we got a sizeable instalment up front? 

Maybe UEFA money too. 

Exactly. I'd hate to see how much off a loss we're running at without these factored in. 

10 minutes ago, Scouser2 said:

Still find it surprising re the player budget statement considering the players who left last summer , the reduced squad and number of loan players in that squad.......unless the high finish last season triggered some hefty increases in salaries or bonus payments 

When that slide went up Phyllis’s words were that it was something she came across on the internet and thought it would be interesting to share. I think it was about a few months ago and picked up by the media then, but it’s not something the club have put together themselves. 

9 minutes ago, skygod said:

Maybe UEFA money too. 

I am no accountant, buy maybe it is the case that income and expenditure is apportioned on a 12 month basis with, as Phyllis alluded to, our income is more after the turn of the year than before it, and our expenditure less. I am guessing that maintenance costs are higher during the close season when work is done that cannot be done during the season accounting for higher expenditure in the first 6 months of the Financial year. However, I could be way off the mark here.

She did say that we are on target to make a profit again this financial year.

47 minutes ago, Scouser2 said:

Still find it surprising re the player budget statement considering the players who left last summer , the reduced squad and number of loan players in that squad.......unless the high finish last season triggered some hefty increases in salaries or bonus payments 

I'm quite sure this was the chart she used covering 'Average annual first team player salary in the SPFL in 2019/20' -  

Screenshot 2020-02-26 at 23.10.14.png

Edited by Pelesboots

53 minutes ago, Beaker71 said:

Nah, the Taylor fee will.be in instalments and in next years accounting period.  This has happened before, with Naismiths fee.

Maybe partially true. Cash received doesn't always equal revenue recognition.... 

Sale proceeds need to be recognised as and when the transfer is agreed - so Taylor's transfer fee received should be included in the 6 month-to-date figure shown tonight (as he signed in Sep 19, after May 19 YE). I'd hope that the majority of the fee was agreed as an upfront payment, so we'd have to recognise/report that in Sep. 

But we may also have an element of deferred income yet to be received, depending on whatever performance/games/caps clauses were agreed. This would only be released to the P&L when received as it's not certain we'll get it - clubs get creative when players get close to making these milestones and potentially costing them more money. 

Tl;dr - upfront fees will be in the 6 months to date figs. Add-ons most likely won't. 

Edited by jesper
Clarity