Dons Cup Home Fred

skygod

Bringing on Johnson just totally disrupted our defence culminating in his own goal.

I totally get why Dyer did it, but it totally backfired.

It just seemed a naive move, especially given that we had already thrown away a lead at the death in the 90 minutes. Surely he should have realised this and thought penalties we're a possibility. Even if we had got to pens, our top scorer was sitting on the bench.

Maybe it's just how unbelievably gutted I am, but that was shocking game management from Dyer and his team.

6 minutes ago, Jedi2 said:

A week ago against Rangers AD took Brophy off on 90 mins for Johnson, to go with 3 CHs and see the game out, makes sense. Does the same tonight with 2 mins to go when 3-2 ahead. Nothing wrong with the choice of sub. 

Was the wrong choice for me but he didn’t have the right choice available to him. Either another CM to try and get a tight control of the game or a runner who could press. We let them come too far forward and play in our half. Against Rangers they were putting balls in from deeper we were coping with better. I don’t recall Rangers getting near the line in the last few minutes Aberdeen hit it every time. 

4 minutes ago, piffer said:

Was the wrong choice for me but he didn’t have the right choice available to him. Either another CM to try and get a tight control of the game or a runner who could press. 

Totally agree.

Rory would have been ideal but unavailable, so at a push, one of the young lads.

Edited by Mogwai

2 minutes ago, jh2633 said:

The claims that we lost due to the foul for the penalty I can began to understand the rational behind them. To say we lost due to El Makrini’s foul and then apportion a lot of the blame to him is unreasonable however. If you believe he’s responsible and don’t acknowledge the abysmal defending from the resulting set piece then it’s purely agenda driven. The man gets a free header; defence is nowhere to be seen. Also, he scores an incredible goal to kickstart our game. If you’re saying we’re out if not for him giving away a foul, you must surely admit we’d never have got off the mark without him then?

If we don’t give that foul away, we win 1-0. I’m not on the slightest blaming El Mak for this. We’ve got to defend the free kick after it’s given. What I’m saying is that he should’ve been subbed a long while before that as he’d gave everything. We then see the game out.

If any blame is to be given  , Its to the lack of players in the squad....When you have to start a centre mid out on the wing and bring on a right back to play right wing , then what do we expect will happen...we are weaker. Also to play 120 mins with players who start every week and dont get rested ....it was a great effort tbh.

3 minutes ago, Mogwai said:

Totally agree.

Rory would have been ideal but unavailable, so at a push, one of the young lads.

McKenzie for sure. The youngsters Perhaps. I’m still unsure if they are on the bench on merit or as necessity.

Dont know what the script is with Hendrie but having him on the bench would have allowed us to do on the left what was done on the right and move Kiltie into a central role and gave us a freshness in front of Power/Dicker to press them 

Just now, Guff92 said:

Agreed.

Kennedy was their only positive imo. 

Doesn’t help when our players kept allowing him into his favoured right foot.

I think SOD has been outstanding the last few weeks but on Sunday he was happy to show Docherty onto his strong side for the opener and then again tonight he was fine with Kennedy going inside which was surprising as he had him in his pocket when he went the other way

Just now, piffer said:

I think SOD has been outstanding the last few weeks but on Sunday he was happy to show Docherty onto his strong side for the opener and then again tonight he was fine with Kennedy going inside which was surprising as he had him in his pocket when he went the other way

He’s been great. I’m not blaming just him, there were times Matty took on two of our players at once sending them both the wrong way. Amateur stuff. As you said, every time SOD showed him to the outside he had him in his pocket.

12 minutes ago, Bigdaw said:

If any blame is to be given  , Its to the lack of players in the squad....When you have to start a centre mid out on the wing and bring on a right back to play right wing , then what do we expect will happen...we are weaker. Also to play 120 mins with players who start every week and dont get rested ....it was a great effort tbh.

Spot on. Every other side has a forward or two on the bench, and indeed, freshening up the forward line is the normal sub for most teams to make. Another area would be central midfield, and again we are short on the bench there as well. AD doesn't call the shots on the budget he is given to work with or have a final say over who comes in or goes out in a transfer window. Obviously he can make recommendations but ultimately it is up to the board to make sure that we have a strong enough squad to compete on the pitch.

So gutting on many levels , huge let down especially the way we gifted goals when should been seeing the game out.........way we came back in ET was a real credit to the team but to then throw it away in way we did is so disheartening ......worry is how this now effects the rest of the season with such a small squad ........

Sure will be same excuses trotted out at the AGM for what might been in January but it was an epic fail when Board promised lessons would be learned ...

35 minutes ago, Killie1984 said:

Well we properly killed that one up!

A true masterclass in how to snatch defeat from the Jaws of victory

Ref was abysmal

Brophy had at least four really good chances, has to take one of them for me. 

And the 'defending at the end' let's not go there

First half we were good, then second half think we struggled with the Don's changes. 

Showed great determination to get back in the lead in et only to chuck it away

brophy did take one

5 minutes ago, Jedi2 said:

Spot on. Every other side has a forward or two on the bench, and indeed, freshening up the forward line is the normal sub for most teams to make. Another area would be central midfield, and again we are short on the bench there as well. AD doesn't call the shots on the budget he is given to work with or have a final say over who comes in or goes out in a transfer window. Obviously he can make recommendations but ultimately it is up to the board to make sure that we have a strong enough squad to compete on the pitch.

They were never world beaters but guys like Ndjoli, McAleny, Tshibola could have made a real difference off the bench tonight. Even Wilson and Thomas could have offered something different. Not signing players can be put down to many things but letting players go before we had signed anyone is looking like a bigger mistake every week especially when results go against us.

5 minutes ago, stewarty66 said:

OK. 

Enough of the knee jerk reactions. 

Positive.

We look 100 times better than the team that capitulated at Paisley before the break. 

A few weeks ago if you had said we would even had brought Aberdeen back for a replay you would have been laughed off this forum. 

Greg Kiltie played well when he came on (again) 

I'm hurting tonight badly. 

A real kick in the baws going out like that but performances have improved dramatically. 

Hibs got lucky against us on Sunday. 

Tonight we conspired in our own downfall aided by some dubious refereeing. 

But after our horrendous December and lacklustre transfer window I see progress. 

Agreed.

Rangers, Hibs and Aberdeen - three really good performances and we deserved more than one win out of them.

I feel as if I've got my team back again after a really worrying spell.

Just watching ther goals there.

Can someone, anyone tell me what Hamalainen is doing at their first goal?

He is marking Considine, gets on the wrong side of him and when Considine scores, Hamalainen’s lost in space, fully eight yards away from him! *

If it wasn't so tragic it would be funny. 

Rash challenge by Findlay for the Pen but, again, Ferguson gets past Hamalainen much too easily.

Last goal is just a howler by Johnson. You can't blame tired minds when he's been on the pitch for a minute.

* Watching it again, I think he's got one eye on the Dons player at the edge of the box but, firstly, I think that's a job for a forward player not a defender and, secondly, he was still caught between the two jobs and did neither.

Edited by skygod

3 minutes ago, skygod said:

Just watching the goals there.

Can someone, anyone tell me what Hamalainen is doing at their first goal?

He is marking Considine, gets on the wrong side of him and when Considene scores, he's lost in space, fully eight yards away from him!

If it wasn't so tragic it would be funny. 

Rash challenge by Findlay for the Pen but, again, Ferguson gets past Hamalainen much too easily.

Last goal is just a howler by Johnson. You can't blame tired minds when he's been on the pitch for a minute.

Don’t want to sound as though I’m picking on the boy but Hamalainen is absolutely rotten at times.

He has a really nice first touch and can carry the ball well but he is horrendous at defending.