Shat the bed

Squirrelhumper

I don't share the view that we were the better team. The first half was even but they dominated us in the second half even though Brophy had two excellent chances to put us two up.  We were far too deep, couldn't keep hold of the ball and just invited them on to us. They had cross after cross and even though we defended well it wasn't a surprise when they got something in the end. 

Extra time was far more even and I thought that Kiltie made a huge difference. He can find space, take the ball in tight areas and keep it and link up play.  He did all of that tonight and should have been brought on much earlier. Might have helped us in the second half. EL Mak may have got a goal but I thought he wasn't at the races.

To lose a goal near the end of the 90mins was unfortunate but to lose the two at the end of extra time was amateurish stuff. I agree that bringing on Johnston was a mistake - no need to upset the back four who had largely played well all game for the sake of the final two mins. He also took off a penalty taker as well which I thought was really stupid.

Overall, we played well enough and I feel sorry for the players who put so much into the game but they've only got themselves to blame. We blew it not once, not twice but three times.

Edited by historyman

Lack of investment in squad this year was plain to see tonight when you looked at our bench.

we could of done with at least one more striker on the bench as our two were knackered towards the end.

even an average striker would of been useful.

poor result but at least you can’t say you weren’t entertained tonight.

time to start using the rest of this season to plan for next sign some decent pre contracts and try and be ready for a transfer window for f**k sake.

Edited by Richaway

5 minutes ago, skygod said:

Even when there's a chance of a penalty shoot-out and you take off your No. 1 penalty taker?

If you can hand on heart say that you would still have made this point, if we had won the game then I'm impressed.

And as pedantic point, Brophy’s penalty skill wasn't even missed!

3 minutes ago, allycowan1 said:

Lot of nonsense here about Dyer screwing up by taking off Brophy. Absolutely standard thing to do to bolster the defence and see out the game. How Dyer was supposed to prophesise Findlay's madness and an OG I have no idea.  There are people to blame. I can't see how the gaffer is one of them 

If you make that type of substitution late on when you are only 1 up it signal's that you are trying to see the game out. The thing with that is if you as we did gift away a goal your stuck with the sub you made. I bet if you asked Dyer how long he expected Millien to play tonight it would be nowhere near 30+ minutes. 

He then makes the same mistake after we go 3-2 up by taking off our main striker and penalty taker.

It's not just Dyer's fault but he deserves some blame for the way things went tonight.

9 minutes ago, BR1869 said:

For me it has to be DDF coming on instead of Johnson.

The boy is a liability. Why he’s trying to head that is beyond me. 

Was very strange decision.

If Dyer was looking for some experience to see out the game then why not bring on the older guy rather than a younger player with very little first team action? Can't see any logic in it whatsoever.

1 minute ago, KillieBus said:

If you can hand on heart say that you would still have made this point, if we had won the game then I'm impressed.

And as pedantic point, Brophy’s penalty skill wasn't even missed!

I made the point at the time on the match Fred.

It wasn't impossible that it would go to penalties and, unless he was incapable of walking, I would have kept Brophy on for two minutes.

Anyway, as you say, it turned out to be academic. It just seemed to me to be a strange thing to do.

This is harder to take than CQ. 

I really hate Aberdeen, that big streak of pish Cosgrove is a close 2nd to Morelos for c**t of the year.

How we can play so well over the 90 and come away with nothing is beyond me. I’m scunnert.

Board have A LOT to answer for. We are literally 2/3 signings away from being a very decent outfit. Going to/has cost us big time. 

Edited by Guff92

I don't want Dyer hunted after that, but he is 100% responsible for us losing out there.

Aberdeen made three subs and we had players blowing out their arse, he did nothing.

I thought from about 70th minute we should have brought DDF on and gone 3-5-2 with Mo coming off for Kiltie and Burke for DDF to cope with their height and crosses and to freshen things up.

It reminded me of Gerrard a week or so ago who didn't react to how the game was going. He is to blame.

It was fatigue plain and simple that was the issue. This led to concentration issues like conceding two daft goals in the last minute. We have put so much into the last 6 games and we have been playing these 6 games Weekend /Midweek for 3 weeks straight....with same 11 of 30 year old because we had nothing on the Bench. We all knew we couldn't do this. A valiant effort but recruitment failings are to blame here. Ideally we would have made a few changes for the Hibs game but we couldn't. Hibs could well be 7 points clear by Sunday so I think just get ourselves safe and then plan for next year

7 minutes ago, Mclean07 said:

Poor decision making from the Manager and the players. TBH, though, I thought we were backs to the wall from the second half onwards. Lack of investment also taking its toll.

There is no doubt the squad is short. The midfield four that we finished the game with included a full back and a striker. Don't get me wrong both did well but we have no real cover in too many positions. Injuries and suspensions could cost us over the next few months and it will be a tough game on Sunday for a few of them. 

Edited by historyman