Decision Time

mitch14

Two things I take from tonight and the results since Christmas:

One - Despite some individual errors, we have a promising squad and a promising manager. 

Two - The cup is gone, we'll stay up and more likely than not just miss out on top six. 

With all that in mind - is it time to essentily start building for next season now? 

Announce Dyer as manager and let the players make their decisions about who is on board and who isn't. Try out a few of the young players where we can and see if we can blood some free transfers. 

Don't mean this to be negative or pessimistic - I don't blame the manager or the players to any great degree. Botched transfer windows and bad decisions have left us with no depth, an inexperienced manager at a bad point in the season, two s**t keepers etc. 

But signing up the nucleus of a good squad from who wants to stay and hitting the ground running in the summer is a must. Spending the summer hiring a manager again would be a disaster... 

Priority is to avoid relegation. That's not done yet.

The only free transfers available would be those players that are out of contract. There won't be much to be had in the market now.  We should try a few of our young players like Connell and Cameron once we are safe but I don't think many of them are ready for the first team yet. 

I would wait until near the end of the season to make a decision on Dyer but if it's not him they need to get things sorted out much sooner to give the new manager a chance. We will have retained so few players he will have a big rebuilding job to do. On the plus side that should give him a great opportunity to hopefully bring in who he wants 

1 minute ago, muza1962 said:

What about 3, terrible crowd for a big cup replay and reduced prices. If not for the sheep support we would have had just over 4K. Terrible, however the atmosphere seemed great and noisy WTF. 

More than both teams combined last night in a match between two teams a stone’s throw apart.

Context is everything.

And your comment is totally irrelevant to the opening post.

9 minutes ago, mitch14 said:

Two things I take from tonight and the results since Christmas:

One - Despite some individual errors, we have a promising squad and a promising manager. 

Two - The cup is gone, we'll stay up and more likely than not just miss out on top six. 

With all that in mind - is it time to essentily start building for next season now? 

Announce Dyer as manager and let the players make their decisions about who is on board and who isn't. Try out a few of the young players where we can and see if we can blood some free transfers. 

Don't mean this to be negative or pessimistic - I don't blame the manager or the players to any great degree. Botched transfer windows and bad decisions have left us with no depth, an inexperienced manager at a bad point in the season, two s**t keepers etc. 

But signing up the nucleus of a good squad from who wants to stay and hitting the ground running in the summer is a must. Spending the summer hiring a manager again would be a disaster... 

Oops should have quoted this. Sorry for any irrelevance!

I'm not convinced by Dyer. There's a big difference between being a No. 2 and the gaffer. Which reminds me - we should tell the SFA he's unavailable until further notice.

We're still suffering the consequences of the Alessio fiasco. 

It seems ridiculous that we gave Thomas and Waters contract extensions to the end of next season yet they're not deemed good enough to be at the club  now.

There's a big rebuild needed in the summer. Fowler has to be working on that now but we don't know which division we will be in or who the manager will be.

The club needs strong leadership from the boardroom and I don't think that is there.

8 minutes ago, historyman said:

if it's not him they need to get things sorted out much sooner to give the new manager a chance. We will have retained so few players he will have a big rebuilding job to do. On the plus side that should give him a great opportunity to hopefully bring in who he wants 

This is what really got me thinking about it. If we are bringing someone new in it almost has to be now - but that's not going to happen. So it's almost certainly Dyer. 

Even if there's a shaky end to the season, we might be better with Dyer so we don't lose weeks and weeks replacing him. Difficult position. Being a position get in even one or two key signings at the start of the window could shape the next season. 

The issue with us is that outwith our starting 11 we have a horrific lack of quality, like seriously bad. 

Players like Millen (I like him tbf but he isn’t amazing), Johnson, St Clair, Hendrie etc are all well below the required level to play premiership football. 

The same goes for people like Thomas, Frizzell etc. 

We have a massive rebuilding job to do and sadly I don’t have a lot of faith in the recruitment team (whoever they are? Fowler? Fowler and Dyer? Fowler, Dyer and the board?) to get it right in the summer. 

1 minute ago, skygod said:

It seems ridiculous that we gave Thomas and Waters contract extensions to the end of next season yet they're not deemed good enough to be at the club  now.

The enormous frustration for me is that, like almost every decison the club has made, it's muddled and fumbled. 

If we had brought in, say, Aarons as the quality and another and a prospect left back then those loans are actually quite a good and bold decison - we keep two players on the books, keep them happy and give them masses of game time. 

But we fall between two stools and end up weaker with players who will rightly feel miffed they aren't better than what we have... 

Nothing is joined up. 

I’m seeing Dyer in a far better light now than I was initially but still some way off being 100% convinced he is the right man for the job. Performances and results have improved which is massive and something I didn’t see happening initially. At the moment Id give him to the split and make a decision from there. Whoever is in charge has to be confirmed and in place the day after the last game of the season if not sooner.

Whatever happens on that front we cannot keep stumbling through transfer windows. The recruitment needs addressing ASAP. Two disastrous windows is inexcusable. I hope answers are given on this next week. Open and honest discussion not Cathy's clueless drivel on the matter. We are seeing evidence in the last two games of how failure in this area has let us down.

I like AD, but we need to appoint someone with more experience. 

He's slowly undoing the "damage" Alessio's tactical changes caused us, and he's building confidence in the squad again. But I see him as a stop gap - hopefully to keep us up - until a more experienced manager comes in and rebuilds the team. 

Would hope the Board have some idea by now If AD is a long term option and how they see things developing..... but then again whilst doing well with the off the pitch improvements .......they have have made too many errors in choices made which affect on the field matters..

Whilst it was welcome to get some communication ......some of the spin that came out after the January window was baffling in trying to explain the shambles away...again ......

It is vital the club is both better prepared and get things done a lot quicker this summer window and so having a long term Manager in place long before then is important 

If anyone wants another example of ridiculous decision making by the club this season it was letting Kiltie go out on loan and bringing in Sow and Jackson. Kiltie has shown more ability and made more of a contribution in his few brief appearances since coming back than either of those two did when they were here. Kiltie could have had another full season of development with us in the top league instead we farmed him out to the championship and recruited two has beens who were a total waste of a jersey. 

1 minute ago, historyman said:

If anyone wants another example of ridiculous decision making by the club this season it was letting Kiltie go out on loan and bringing in Sow and Jackson. Kiltie has shown more ability and made more of a contribution in his few brief appearances since coming back than either of those two did when they were here. Kiltie could have had another full season of development with us in the top league instead we farmed him out to the championship and recruited two has beens who were a total waste of a jersey. 

Agreed. Kiltie is the most intelligent player we have. 

In his short time on the pitch tonight he constantly moved and demanded the ball. Baffles me that he doesn’t get more of a chance. 

7 hours ago, Killieboykfc said:

Agreed. Kiltie is the most intelligent player we have. 

In his short time on the pitch tonight he constantly moved and demanded the ball. Baffles me that he doesn’t get more of a chance. 

I agree - but I did think last night showed the difficulty with him in finding a position.

He made things happen and played some really clever balls, but he also got caught out defensively in the wide areas. 

I think he has to be a number ten or nothing - and that's quite tricky. Hope we can find a place for him. I really want him to do well. 

8 hours ago, muza1962 said:

What about 3, terrible crowd for a big cup replay and reduced prices. If not for the sheep support we would have had just over 4K. Terrible, however the atmosphere seemed great and noisy WTF. 

"seemed"?

Does that mean you weren't there?

We had about the same crowd as St Mirren and Motherwell combined and Motherwell are 3rd and admission was a good bit cheaper.

Dyer is nothing more than a stop gap. He’s steadied the ship bit his inexperience and inadequacies were there for all to see last night. 

Staying up is about as much as we can realistically expect with a paper thin squad. The recruitment since Clarke left has been horrendous. 

Get Gary Holt appointed in the summer. No brainer. A far better option than Dyer.

It’s a tricky one and a lot depends on where the club wants to be. We’re never going to be pushing for third or fourth with AD in charge, he just lacks the magic ingredient to make the difference with our resources. However he is good enough to keep us mid table and keep the players happy. 

Bring in a new gaffer now and you give them plenty of time to prepare for next season, but risk the players spitting the dummy again. Wait until the summer and you’re already miles behind our rivals. 

We can't make a decision on the next manager till we are mathematically safe.

I've said it before but we need to go through a proper and thorough recruitment process, get word out there that we are looking for a new manager to get the best candidates possible and conduct a thorough interview process and look into backgrounds too.

Go into the process with a plan and an idea what we are looking for rather than lurch from idea to idea.