League games before Split

Scouser2

After that frustrating tiring and heartbreaking cup loss --AD has to somehow get the team ready for away trip to league leaders ----after a very tough run of games in past month would be tempted to rest a couple of players for this especially Burke -- our one main creative player who could do with few days off IMO

After celtic game ironically next home league is a midweek game v Aberdeen 4th March , followed by Hamilton away on 7th - St Mirren (H ) on 14th then trip to Motherwell 21st March ending before the split at home to Livvy on 4th April 

Top 6 would be a bonus after such a strange season with so many changes and lack of squad depth . but to do that probably would be needing at least 4 wins out of the remaining games --- could well see other contenders taking points off each other 

To be honest I'd settle for the six points we need for safety and then some sign that we will properly address the required recruitment and rebuild needed in the summer. 

Whatever has been wrong in the dressing room needs taking on head on as part of that process too. Hope AD is the man for that but the Broadfoot resigning and selection ahead of DDF last night makes me wonder? 

There's a bit of hope when you look at the fixtures I think - 

Hibs v Livi this weekend, draw would be ideal, otherwise one side won't gain on us then

Then Hibs play the Derby and Livi play Celtic. 

I doubt we'll get anything at Celtic, but manage a win against Aberdeen and we could suddenly be very close with winnable games to the split. 

I think we might run it close but don't think we'll make it. 

1 hour ago, Cass316 said:

I don't expect us to get anything against Celtic but everything after that is definitely winnable. 

I honestly think the game vs Livi will determine which of the 2 teams gets top 6.

Spot on, there’s no way livi are getting any more than 2 points in there next 3 games and I can see us getting between 4 and 6. Closes the gap to them straight away. It’ll almost certainly go to the last day to see which of us gets 6th

Edited by Jackwilson

13 hours ago, Clunk said:

Remember what dundee did to us a few years ago stopped us getting  top six 

Relying on my memory here but that wasn’t a head-to-head with Dundee for a Top Six place, was it?

We lost to Dundee but it was Dundee United, with a last-minute goal by our own player Rory Boulding, who took the Top Six place.   

55 minutes ago, skygod said:

Relying on my memory here but that wasn’t a head-to-head with Dundee for a Top Six place, was it?

We lost to Dundee but it was Dundee United, with a last-minute goal by our own player Rory Boulding, who took the Top Six place.   

I think there was a time when Dundee were in a one-game shootout with Dunfermline for the last spot in the top six - might have been 2002, certainly before mobile phones were as they are now.

Anyway, Dundee (I seem to think) got a draw at RP and needed the pars to lose in order to make the top six.  Our scoreboard at first displays that Dunfermline have lost, and the Dees head over to their own jubilant support to celebrate.  A minute later a correctly reversed Dunfermline score reappears on the scoreboard indicating that they'd done what they needed and Dundee were bottom six fodder again....along with us, but how we laughed!...

28 minutes ago, Fudger said:

Never understood the desire to be top 6 when there’s nothing to play for in it. Different when challenging for a potential European spot but to be in it and miles off top 4 has zero appeal for me. Also has the potential of hosting title parties for the Glasgow wanks. 

More money for finishing higher up the league and generally higher attendances against the bigger clubs. Could mean the difference between getting an extra player in for the next season or not. 

23 minutes ago, historyman said:

More money for finishing higher up the league and generally higher attendances against the bigger clubs. Could mean the difference between getting an extra player in for the next season or not. 

Fair enough, can see the financial benefit but from a fans perspective I've never really been excited by it unless of course there was something to play for, like last season. 

On the subject of prize money, I read just now we should have got £2m for finishing 3rd. We really should've had some cash to spend between that and the Taylor money. 

25 minutes ago, Fudger said:

Fair enough, can see the financial benefit but from a fans perspective I've never really been excited by it unless of course there was something to play for, like last season. 

from a fans perspective I'd rather see us playing the bigger clubs in the top half of the table than finish best of the rest. 

4 hours ago, Jedi2 said:

What about a scenario where Aberdeen win the Cup? (extremely unlikely I know and reckon St.Mirren will probably beat them), but.....it would mean that 5th place is a Euro spot.5th clearly a tall order but not impossible yet if we can win most of these games pre-split.

I don’t think that’s the case. Only 4 Scottish teams can get in Europe I believe. Top gets champions league and 2nd and 3rd gets Europa league, alongside Scottish cup winners/4th in the league if any of the top 3 win Scottish cup