Jim Jefferies Interview

Squirrelhumper

2 minutes ago, skygod said:

Callaghan was signed by Burns, or even Fleeting,  I’m sure. 

Haven’t heard the interview but could it be Stuart Burgess? I think he was a Burns signing too. 

Callaghan played in the tail end of 88/89. Debut was that 2-2 game at Muirton it looks like, from reading the 125 book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgF1YT2HK_Q

Stuart Burgess was definitely signed when Fleeting was boss

21 minutes ago, skygod said:

Haven’t heard the interview but could it be Stuart Burgess? 

Christ! It could very well have been. JJ said something like "killie wanted someone Falkirk had and we took someone off them plus 60k"

100k was mentioned for Burgess when he signed......shudder.

No idea who went the other way.

Edited by red_dug

The mad Vlad stuff was hilarious.

Really enjoy these no matter who he is on with the Kenny Miller one went on for ages, with Miller doing all the talking.

Really interesting.

The stuff with Kevin Kyle and Paul Slane can be annoying but also laugh out loud funny.

Edited by Andy

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Jefferies was a really good manager for us for a good few years but MJ giving them a few long term contract when it was already going stale was mental.

Some of the football we played in the early years was some of the best I've seen in an attacking sense from a Kilmarnock side.

And yet we had one of the biggest “ahl no be back” take ups ever, I must admit to liking the big Jambo bugger, as said it probably lasted a season too long, but more good memories than bad.

Jefferies and Brown were an old-school management team with their roles honed over a long number of years at Berwick, Falkirk, Hearts and Bradford. 

They had a good eye for a player, developed youngsters and knew how to build an attractive, winning team.

I think we did well to get them although they weren’t a universally popular choice (“Jambo Jim”).

As SH says, they overstayed their welcome and got complacent but you can’t blame them if MJ was willing to dish out long contract extensions. 

I felt the club was in safe hands when they were around, something which has been lacking - SC apart - ever since. 

16 minutes ago, skygod said:

I think we did well to get them although they weren’t a universally popular choice (“Jambo Jim”).

He may have done a good job for us for several years but I never took to him. In meeja interviews while employed by KFC he was always too keen to talk about up The Jambos and never spoke of his employers as a significant force in Scottish football. 

19 minutes ago, skygod said:

I felt the club was in safe hands when they were around, something which has been lacking - SC apart - ever since. 

I always thought KS did OK for us. Sacking him because of his big mouth was nothing more than an ego trip for MJ which nearly sunk us.

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Jefferies was a really good manager for us for a good few years but MJ giving them a few long term contract when it was already going stale was mental.

Some of the football we played in the early years was some of the best I've seen in an attacking sense from a Kilmarnock side.

Absolutely. The football we played in JJ and BB’s first years was incomparably more entertaining than that in BW’s last period. Also an eye for a ‘past sell by date’ player who did a great job for us - Fulton (1st spell), AJ especially. 

1 hour ago, killie billies pal said:

And yet we had one of the biggest “ahl no be back” take ups ever, I must admit to liking the big Jambo bugger, as said it probably lasted a season too long, but more good memories than bad.

Agreed. The attitude of some to his appointment was ridiculous and even worse after his first couple of seasons. We were really enjoyable to watch back then. The main downpoints being the last two years and the attitude vs the old flith. 

14 minutes ago, cammy_boy said:

Agreed. The attitude of some to his appointment was ridiculous and even worse after his first couple of seasons. We were really enjoyable to watch back then. The main downpoints being the last two years and the attitude vs the old flith. 

I'm sure his first game (or one of them) was a 6-2 pumping of Williamson's Hibs at RP

What a smashing player Andy McLaren was. He scored a cracker early on in a league game against Celtic at Parkhead and I was sitting alone in the Celtic end, going mental in an uninhibited  way, but the surrounding Celtic fans just reckoned I was daft and that it would be unkind to rough me up.We got gubbed in the end, but it was worth it for that goal.