Alcohol ban

Ken T

Heard on the radio this morning the new Hibs owner wants the authorities to revisit the alcohol ban. For younger viewers the ban was brought in as a direct result of this "game"

As usual the Old Firm spoiling it for everyone else. There is surely a simple solution - allow clubs to sell alcohol during matches except not in the away end when Rangers or Celtic come to visit!

Clubs would have a license that could be suspended/ revoked as and when required. I would not trust either of the OF but can’t see there Being much of a problem with it on sell for other games. 

I don’t think there is much threat that selling watered down Carlsberg at £6 a pint is going to provoke any trouble at Killie v Ross County etc. 

40 years ago, i'd be trialling a reintroduction in harmless games like county or Hamilton. By all means ban it for old firm games.

If people are going to be pished for the football they'll be pished regardless of whether you can buy a pint or 2 at the game. 

Realistically you'll be up to buy a beer 2/3 times a game otherwise you'd miss most of it. Limit it to 2 per person or something to stop folk going overboard. Prices will be like Rugby/Hydro most likely, £4.50+ each. 

If you keep it like england then you wouldnt be able to drink in your seat anyway.

Personally think it's a no brainer to reintroduce as long as it's policed right. With Killie club under the Club banner again it could be a decent earner.

It's a shame certain fans in Scotland cannot be trusted to drink alcohol at football. 

I had a season ticket at Newcastle for two years back in the early 2000's and you could get a beer before the game and at half time. 
Tbh I don't think its that big a deal whether you can drink at football or not and my social day of the football evolves around a few beers pre and post match in the pub. 

At St James, you had to wait in massive queues then you were served a pint in a plastic tumbler (which I hate, beer just doesn't taste the same) and then you have a very small window to drink it OR risk missing some of the match. The winter days when its Baltic, it hardly seemed worth it. 

For me, it's not all it's cracked up to be and wouldn't make a massive difference to the supporter experience at RP. 

I wasn't really advocating it, just using it as an excuse for a dig at the Old Firm.

It could easily result in a negative supporter experience with folk getting up up and down all the time during the game either for a beer or a pish. Drives you nuts in all seater stadia when you're just wanting to watch the game - in America most of the folk seem to go for the catering, half of them couldn't tell you the score without checking the scoreboards!

1 hour ago, killieeurostar said:

In Germany they serve beer like the kiost girls used to serve ice cream at the cinema , up and down the isles .

My best film ending ever in a cinema in Ayr. The film had a quiet, sad, ending and a few in the audience were blubbing, the woman with the ice-creams was walking backwards towards the front of the aisle, tripped, and ice-creams, choc-ices, orange drinks flew everywhere. Cue, pandemonium. 

Much like the issues caused on airlines with drunkenness its people turning up already pissed thats the problem. This one or two more tipping them over the edge is bulls**t. They are already drunk on an empty head. Dont let them in. 

Wee fannies full of cheap drugs probably as much of a problem as well. These guys would have normally been in a puddle of their own piss come kick off are now full of the Columbian confidence and are causing all sorts of havoc. Sniffer dogs in the queues when the old filth come to town would be very beneficial. 

In Netherlands and other countries all over the world they just adjust the strength of the beer depending on what match it is, and the risk of trouble. Was at the Medellin derby cup semi final and they were selling alcohol-free beer, then full strength in the following league game, Ajax do the same for the Feyenoord games.

A simple solution, but probably too complex for here.

Probably not going to happen because if the clubs out with the OF are given licence to sell alcohol then the both of them will start moaning about how their great fans are being discriminated against and that it’s only a very very small minority that causes trouble. You’ll see them get each other’s back quick enough when  they think the other clubs in the league Are getting something their not.

Edited by No.1 Jimmy

1 hour ago, No.1 Jimmy said:

Probably not going to happen because if the clubs out with the OF are given licence to sell alcohol then the both of them will start moaning about how their great fans are being discriminated against and that it’s only a very very small minority that causes trouble. You’ll see them get each other’s back quick enough when  they think the other clubs in the league Are getting something their not.

Simple answer they do not get a license until they can get through a game without anyone being called a denial or a Taig or an DOB or singing about the RA or King Billy.  Therefore they won’t ever get one because their Neanderthal mutants fans cannot help themselves.