Squad Rebuild

Hambino

Not to start the summer transfer window off too early but judging the already thin squad that we have, this could be a massive summer for us. At a glance we may need 5-6 players just to add quality and depth. From there we may need to replace players such as SOD who may be on the way out. With the players we do have a few are getting to the end of their careers. The likes of Burke, Broadfoot, Dicker, Power, El Makrini and Jamie Mac are all past 30.

Rebuilding a solid midfield and replacing a partnership like SOD and Burke could be vital as they are a massive part on how we play, not to mention the likes of Findlay are due to attract bigger clubs.

This may be a huge market for us as it may set up to foundations for the coming years in terms of adding to what we have and then replacing important players with a similar level of quality. Judging how previous windows have gone, James Fowler and co could have a huge market ahead of them.  

1 hour ago, Hambino said:

With the players we do have a few are getting to the end of their careers. The likes of Burke, Broadfoot, Dicker, Power, El Makrini and Jamie Mac are all past 30.

Thinking of thirty as being the onset of the end of a player's career is old-fashioned thinking. Burke, at 36, is evidence of this.

Only he and Broadfoot are near the end of their playing days.

But we do need to introduce more youth into the squad and everyone at the club seems to be aware of this.

The immediate worry is that we only have 9 players contracted into next season and the automatic reaction is to want players tied down but for me the real worry is how few of them you'd actual want to bother keeping.

Out of Contract

Adam Frizzell, Chris Burke, Devlin Mackay, Gary Dicker, Greg Kiltie, Harry Bunn, Iain Wilson, Jamie MacDonald, Jan Koprivec, Rory McKenzie, Ross Millen, Stephen Hendrie, Stephen O'Donnell

SOD probably isn't likely but we should be doing everything we can to keep him. McKenzie can stay as long as he likes IMO, I wouldn't be upset to see him get a 3 year or something if he's interested. Burke and Dicker are both well worth another year. There's nobody else on that list I'd be bending over backwards to keep. Hopefully Kiltie finally proves himself and earns an extension.

El Makrini is technically also out of contract but I'd be surprised if his extension isn't triggered.

Loan Ending

Connor Johnson, Dario Del Fabro, Harvey St Clair, Laurențiu Brănescu, Niko Hämäläinen

If there's any realistic chance of getting Del Fabro here permanently then that would be a great piece of business. Beyond that there's nobody on that list I'd be desperate to keep here either.

1 minute ago, Fletch said:

The immediate worry is that we only have 9 players contracted into next season and the automatic reaction is to want players tied down but for me the real worry is how few of them you'd actual want to bother keeping.

Out of Contract

Adam Frizzell, Chris Burke, Devlin Mackay, Gary Dicker, Greg Kiltie, Harry Bunn, Iain Wilson, Jamie MacDonald, Jan Koprivec, Rory McKenzie, Ross Millen, Stephen Hendrie, Stephen O'Donnell

SOD probably isn't likely but we should be doing everything we can to keep him. McKenzie can stay as long as he likes IMO, I wouldn't be upset to see him get a 3 year or something if he's interested. Burke and Dicker are both well worth another year. There's nobody else on that list I'd be bending over backwards to keep. Hopefully Kiltie finally proves himself and earns an extension.

El Makrini is technically also out of contract but I'd be surprised if his extension isn't triggered.

Loan Ending

Connor Johnson, Dario Del Fabro, Harvey St Clair, Laurențiu Brănescu, Niko Hämäläinen

If there's any realistic chance of getting Del Fabro here permanently then that would be a great piece of business. Beyond that there's nobody on that list I'd be desperate to keep here either.

Dicker already said he has an option for next season and expects to be here. Other players have the option too but not named.

5 minutes ago, PrestersKtid said:

Dicker already said he has an option for next season and expects to be here. Other players have the option too but not named.

I read that. I'm assuming Burke will be similar. There's not many others on the list likely to have played enough games to have triggered an extension if we want to keep them.

2 minutes ago, georgekillie said:

I would rather have attacking     class in midfield than multiple defensive minded players as we have right now. 

Mulumbu was never a particularly attacking player. He was clever and had a good range of passing but I wouldn't for a minute put him in the attacking midfielder bracket.

48 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Alan Power is nowhere near the end of his career.

32 isn't that old, look at Brown for example at Celtic. - coming up in 35 and arguably better now than he was 10 years ago. (always been a prick though)

I see where you are coming from in terms of quality over age. More so Dicker , Power and Burke will be hard to replace as they have been consistent starters for 2+ years. Finding players to come through and replace them may prove difficult 

From that list there's loads we should let go. Frizzell, Bunn, McDonald, Koprivec, Millen, Hendrie and McKay could all go. 

Would love us to keep Burke one more year. Sod, Dicker, McKenzie should all be priorities to re-sign as well. 

Suspect Wilson and Kiltie will move on to play regularly as we don't seem to think they deserve a chance here to do so.

Leaves us with two keepers (three if Lyle isn't good enough to step into the first team squad), two right backs (assuming sod goes), a left back, a centre back (unless we can keep DDF) a central midfield player, a couple of wingers and a couple of forwards to find. That's a hell of a big task given our recent inability to get deals over the line. I hope the club and Fowler in particular, realises the scale of this task.

59 minutes ago, Pablo said:

What’s happened to Harry Bunn?

Bunn has been carrying an injury..we could do with him on the bench at least.

Would be looking to offer new contracts to Burke, Dicker, McKenzie, Kiltie and SOD. 

We should be looking for 2 goalkeepers, a left back, another CH, a winger, an attacking midfielder and at least two strikers, so 8 new players at the minimum. Would try to get Del Fabro tied up on a permanent deal as well. 

Major work required which should be starting in the new few weeks, with pre-contracts.

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Alan Power is nowhere near the end of his career.

32 isn't that old, look at Brown for example at Celtic. - coming up in 35 and arguably better now than he was 10 years ago. (always been a prick though)

Browns finished.

That was very apparent on Thursday night.

44 minutes ago, livvy said:

From that list there's loads we should let go. Frizzell, Bunn, McDonald, Koprivec, Millen, Hendrie and McKay could all go. 

Would love us to keep Burke one more year. Sod, Dicker, McKenzie should all be priorities to re-sign as well. 

Suspect Wilson and Kiltie will move on to play regularly as we don't seem to think they deserve a chance here to do so.

Leaves us with two keepers (three if Lyle isn't good enough to step into the first team squad), two right backs (assuming sod goes), a left back, a centre back (unless we can keep DDF) a central midfield player, a couple of wingers and a couple of forwards to find. That's a hell of a big task given our recent inability to get deals over the line. I hope the club and Fowler in particular, realises the scale of this task.

Why would you get rid of Millen?

He's done well anytime he's been called upon, he's also well aware he is a 2nd choice behind SOD yet still gives his all, one of the best trainers in our squad apparently.....

Just now, C4mmy31 said:

He's done well anytime he's been called upon, he's also well aware he is a 2nd choice behind SOD yet still gives his all, one of the best trainers in our squad apparently.....

I’m with cammy. Our squad is thin why would you get rid of our second choice RB? Unless there’s someone in the academy I don’t know about.

Just now, C4mmy31 said:

Totally agree. 

He gets an unwarranted amount of abuse because of his father. 

No other reason. 

41 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

Is he ever going to be good enough to play? 

21 minutes ago, Ngonge88 said:

I dont believe we will get a better player being happy to be back up for the money he will be on

If we lose SOD then would we not be better having someone who is going to potentially push the first team than someone happy to never play? He'll be 26 next season. I've got no huge issue with him, he's filled an emergency slot while SOD has been incredible but going forward it would start to feel like a wasted wage. It's a slot in the squad that could be potentially filled by a young boy with potential. 

Loads of work to do between now and the start of next season. Hopefully we have the bulk of the squad in place for the first day of pre season and get a good start.

Plenty of deadwood to be cut either on loan or on our books. Time to make the hard decisions. No place for blind loyalty.

Millen is an interesting one. I like the boy he gives it his everything, seems a good egg to have around the place and a handy backup. My only issue is he’s fine for a game or two but could we rely on him for a sustained period of time. He’s never had that test.