Squad Rebuild

Hambino

Think now that top 6 may be a bit far for us to reach now. And fairly confident we wont go down.

We need to look at the strengthening the sqaud now. When the window comes we will be really short on players. With the following players out of contract; Gary Dicker, Chris Burke, Stephen O'Donnell, Stephen Hendrie, Rory McKenzie, Kyle Connell, Cal Waters, Jan Koprivec, Harry Bunn.

With DDF, Niko Hamalainen, Larry Branescu and Harvey st Clair all returning to parent clubs.

Not to start the whole transfer saga up again but I'm sure chief scout Craig will be on the case looking for free agents.

We need more attack minded midfielders. I think Dicker is either past his best or rapidly getting there. We carry no goal threat from central midfield with Dicker, Power or Even El Makrini paying there. Need younger more dynamic midfielders. We also need a winger or maybe two as our crosses from wide areas are poor. 

Our system Is based on the midfield pushing the ball out to wide areas and full backs or wingers putting in crosses or playing passes forward. Main issue is the balls being put in from wide areas aren’t good enough whether that is SOD, Niko, McKenzie or even Burke at times. 

We need 6 or 7 players in to rebuild the squad and create competition for places. 

Edited by MarkyMark

1 minute ago, MarkyMark said:

We need more attack minded midfielders. I think Dicker is either past his best or rapidly getting there. We carry no goal threat from central midfield with Dicker, Power or Even El Makrini paying there. Need younger more dynamic midfielders. We also need a winger or maybe two as our crosses from wide areas are poor. 

Our system Is based on the midfield pushing the ball out to wide areas and full backs or wingers putting in crosses or playing passes forward. Main issue is the balls being put in from wide areas aren’t door enough whether that is SOD, Niko, McKenzie or even Burke. 

We need 6 or 7 players in to rebuild the squad and create competition for places. 

There is a real lack of willingness to get into the box and support the strikers. Can remember plenty of players who would arrive late from midfield and chip in a few goals in a season. We are putting crosses into the area for maybe two strikers and a wide player where opponents have maybe six or more players in there. There is also a reluctance to shoot from some. Especially in CM they could have a clear shot at goal but having a dig is the last thing on their mind. 

5 minutes ago, skygod said:

Six or seven won't cover those who leave.

Double it, although that's unlikely to happen.

From the 11 that started yesterday 

Branescu (loan ending) Need a new goalie.

O’Donnell (thought he’d have signed a PCA by now) May need replacement.

Hendrie (can’t see him moving)

Findlay (not going to attract clubs the way he is playing ATM) May need to be replaced if sold.

Broadfoot (unfortunately staying given contract) Needs replaced.

Dicker (will stay if we offer him a contract. Needs replaced IMO)

Power (keep him but we need other options to play beside him)

McKenzie (squad player)

Burke (need younger wide players but keep him)

Brophy (keep him but need other options)

Kabamba (keep him but need other options)

Bench

Niko (Loan ending)

Connell  (youth player)

Taylor (youth player)

Koprivec (I’d get rid of him)

Millen (squad player could we do better? 

Kiltie (squad player could we do better? 

Del Fabro (prefer him to Broadfoot. Loan player but I’d try to sign him)

Don’t know where you add 12 to 14 to that. I think we both agree we need a lot of players though, 

16 minutes ago, Stefanus said:

Does anyone know who the players were that JF had apparently lined up in January, only for Dyer to politely decline? 
Just curious as Broadfoot was evidently his benchmark.

There was no names mentioned at the AGM. Just Fowler had taken Nepalese to Dyer and he knocked them back. Not sure they were right for the group was one phrase used. 

1 hour ago, MarkyMark said:

Our system Is based on the midfield pushing the ball out to wide areas and full backs or wingers putting in crosses or playing passes forward. Main issue is the balls being put in from wide areas aren’t good enough whether that is SOD, Niko, McKenzie or even Burke at times. 

We needed these options last summer and again in January. Both times we failed miserably to sign anyone in these positions. 

31 minutes ago, MarkyMark said:

Don’t know where you add 12 to 14 to that. I think we both agree we need a lot of players though, 

I think the following might leave:

A minimum of two from Branescu, Koprivec, MacDonald and Mackay
O'Donnell, del Fabro, Johnson, Hamalainen, Hendrie, Millen
Frizzell, St Clair, Bunn, Wilson

That's twelve minimum, to which you can maybe add some from Burke, Kiltie, Dicker, el Makrini and McKenzie, who are out of contract.

That's before looking at anyone we might sell, such as Findlay or Brophy.

A lot depends on who the manager is but I don't think it's unreasonable to say that we will need a minimum of a dozen new players.

I'd like to see a number of players stepping up from the reserves and youths but not many have had the chance to show that they're ready.

1 minute ago, skygod said:

A lot depends on who the manager is but I don't think it's unreasonable to say that we will need a minimum of a dozen new players.

Interesting you say this and Lee Clark is available. Of that dozen how many would you expect to be Right Backs?

Seriously though we are going to need major recruitment in the summer. I fear we will struggle. We stuttered and stumbled to get three in January despite needing double that or more. Foolishly I had hoped we’d have a couple lined up on pre contracts now but that doesn’t seem to be the case. What was said pre January about recruitment seems to be nothing more than lip service. 

16 minutes ago, skygod said:

I think the following might leave:

A minimum of two from Branescu, Koprivec, MacDonald and Mackay
O'Donnell, del Fabro, Johnson, Hamalainen, Hendrie, Millen
Frizzell, St Clair, Bunn, Wilson

That's twelve minimum, to which you can maybe add some from Burke, Kiltie, Dicker, el Makrini and McKenzie, who are out of contract.

That's before looking at anyone we might sell, such as Findlay or Brophy.

I'd like to see a number of players stepping up from the reserves and youths but not many have had the chance to show that they're ready.

I was only looking at the squad from yesterday. If we are going to be replacing fringe players like Wilson, Frizzell, Bunn or St Clair we’ll need more. The most important thing is having a first team squad with quality with the fri he players coming from youth.

There is a lot of work to be done and you have to hoe JF has players identified and is trying to secure them.

Major weak areas of the squad were not addressed correctly during last summer despite promises of a bigger budget....and then in January it was another let down recruiting wise even with a HoF in place........which left a thin squad meaning no real options on the bench and out of form players had to keep getting selected 

Even the signing of quality creative midfielder on loan would made a big difference IMO 

This summer the club need to get recruitment right 

2 minutes ago, Scouser2 said:

Major weak areas of the squad were not addressed correctly during last summer despite promises of a bigger budget....and then in January it was another let down recruiting wise even with a HoF in place........which left a thin squad meaning no real options on the bench and out of form players had to keep getting selected 

Even the signing of quality creative midfielder on loan would made a big difference IMO 

This summer the club need to get recruitment right 

Add to that the failure to utilise the players currently on the books. Thomas, Waters and Wilson all out on loan could add something to his group. Certainly offer more than some still here.

4 hours ago, piffer said:

There was no names mentioned at the AGM. Just Fowler had taken Nepalese to Dyer and he knocked them back. Not sure they were right for the group was one phrase used. 

That’s an interesting phrase. If they were not ‘right for the group’ in terms of their position or style of play then why the hell were we wasting valuable time looking at them in the first place? 
If it wasn’t that then who is making the decision - the manager, who surely must have been aware that we desperately needed to strengthen, or was it player power again?

I really doubt we made any serious effort to strengthen the squad in January. If we did surely we couldn’t have failed so miserably at it? The more I think about it the more I’m coming to the conclusion of some on here that the board weren’t prepared to invest to try for a higher league position and were just banking on escaping relegation with what we had. Showed a massively disappointing lack of ambition. 

4 hours ago, piffer said:

Add to that the failure to utilise the players currently on the books. Thomas, Waters and Wilson all out on loan could add something to his group. Certainly offer more than some still here.

A guy sitting near me has offered more than St Clair as he caught the ball at one match and threw it back to O’Donnell. 

From JF’s mouth, we will be looking to bring through more youngsters, then selling them on. Looking at this I can only think JF has been tearing his hair out at the treatment of Kiltie, Wilson et al, 

I think we will probably go down this route apart from the spine of the team which will be filled by experienced players, probably on better than average salaries, this way our overall wage bill will not be increased substantially.

48 minutes ago, historyman said:

That’s an interesting phrase. If they were not ‘right for the group’ in terms of their position or style of play then why the hell were we wasting valuable time looking at them in the first place? 
If it wasn’t that then who is making the decision - the manager, who surely must have been aware that we desperately needed to strengthen, or was it player power again?

I got the impression that the players weren’t knocked back because of quality or position. If you look at comments Dyer has made on signings. Broadfoot was someone he could trust and Bunn was a fantastic person. I may have read it wrong but think he meant some of those mentioned wouldn’t fit in with the group in terms of attitude, work rate etc. You can draw your own conclusions from that but the attitude and work ethic with the current squad.

6 minutes ago, Pompey Exile said:

I still think AD was happy with the squad he had, hence knocking back possible signings

He mentioned this in a post match interview. Something along the lines of if we have to go with what we’ve got I’m happy with that. He also continually stated we needed one or two. Before Broadfoot signing and Bruce leaving that’s what he had.