Scaremongering or Not, Corona Virus = Nae Killie

Andy

Are we about to see games called off, is this a real threat or are the papers just sensationalising it all.

Scotland v Israel could be played behind closed doors (Sun), and gatherings of 5000 or more banned, which would effectively close down the SPFL.

Is this the only way  Rankgers can stop 9 and 10 in a row ??????

But more importantly how will we get our footy fix.

Or all jist a lot o pish talk ?

Edited by Andy

Did think it strange that Wembley hosted the Cup final on Sunday with 82,000 in attendance, any call offs now would seem OTT, after allowing that to go ahead.

Unless of course there is a tipping point in terms of the number of infections, or rather cases where the infection was transmitted within the UK.

It is in the UK Government's interest to create a mass panic for the foreseeable future so they can deflect away from their own shortcomings, make Joe Public forget about Brexit and then congratulate themselves in due course for their management of the "crisis". 

So sadly I would expect loads of things to be called off so that the impression of crisis spreads. The supermarkets are already rubbing their hands as their old stocks of Sugar Puffs etc start flying off the shelves...  

9 minutes ago, KenVaagen1984 said:

It is in the UK Government's interest to create a mass panic for the foreseeable future so they can deflect away from their own shortcomings.....

Why hasn’t it already happened then? 

Some commentators are already criticising the government for acting too slowly and reacting to events rather than anticipating them. 

Closer to home, I hope that our Italian-based contingent - Branescu, del Fabro, Donati - didn’t pop home during the short break.  

10 minutes ago, boydiesback said:

Mass hysteria whipped up by a media that just loves to sensationalise everything.

More people will be diagnosed with cancer today and more will die from it!

More chance of winning the lottery than dying of coronavirus 

Correct.

It's almost like there's no actual news in the UK like Brexit shambles, Prince Paedo, Half of England under water etc.

27 minutes ago, KenVaagen1984 said:

It is in the UK Government's interest to create a mass panic for the foreseeable future so they can deflect away from their own shortcomings, make Joe Public forget about Brexit and then congratulate themselves in due course for their management of the "crisis". 

So sadly I would expect loads of things to be called off so that the impression of crisis spreads. The supermarkets are already rubbing their hands as their old stocks of Sugar Puffs etc start flying off the shelves...  

There’s a large chunk of the population who don’t think the government or Brexit has any shortcomings. 

7 minutes ago, Kanyon said:

There’s a large chunk of the population who don’t think the government or Brexit has any shortcomings. 

The same chunk of the population who think that the "Scottish" Daily Mail runs headlines and prints stories that are honest and decent. I guess that we are fortunate that those people are not , and will never be in any sort of majority in Scotland !

It will continue to spread and it is quite possible that a number of measures will be put in place to try to contain it.
While the mortality rate is low, thank goodness, it is much more contagious than previous recent viruses.
The sensationalism of the British press has nothing to do with the significant decisions that are being taken by governments in countries like Japan, South Korea etc.
It has the potential to continue to cause widespread disruption for a long time.

Edited by historyman

51 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Nah - cannot see it.

There's been ONE case of this virus in Scotland - England had 40.

You've more chance of getting knocked down by a car currently.

The Scottish Government have issued a statement to prepare people for a "significant outbreak" 

I'd say the chances of a shutdown is a real possibility.

55 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Nah - cannot see it.

There's been ONE case of this virus in Scotland - England had 40.

You've more chance of getting knocked down by a car currently.

I agree the disease itself seems fairly innocuous and the government response seems seriously disproportionate. I am still struggling to get my head around that. Perhaps the WHO are worried about such a highly infectious disease spreading and mutating into something highly leathal before they have a vaccine.

Regarding the fitba being cancelled, I am just projecting ahead based on how fast things have evolved so far. A month ago, who in Italy would have thought some of their cities would be closed off to visitors in a month's time.

1 hour ago, boydiesback said:

More chance of winning the lottery than dying of coronavirus 

While I agree the story is being sensationalised, you are currently about 20 times more likely to die from Covid-19 (worldwide) than win the UK lottery.

One of the greatest threats to humanity is a deadly global pandemic. The current coronavirus outbreak is not that pandemic.

5 minutes ago, Lroy said:

While I agree the story is being sensationalised, you are currently about 20 times more likely to die from Covid-19 (worldwide) than win the UK lottery.

One of the greatest threats to humanity is a deadly global pandemic. The current coronavirus outbreak is not that pandemic.

The greatest threat to humanity is humanity itself.