Scaremongering or Not, Corona Virus = Nae Killie

Andy

33 minutes ago, skygod said:

It might not sound it, but this is ridiculously high.

Exactly! Seasonal flu has an average mortality rate of around 0.1% compared to 1% for Covid-19 and it is much more infectious.

Everything the Government is doing now is just aimed at slowing down the spread so the NHS is not overwhelmed. But your estimate of 0.5 million deaths attributable to Covid-19 is probably reasonable.

The other thing to bear in mind is that seasonal flu is predictable and infection usually dies back in April. Covid-19 is completely new and nobody knows what it will do. 

4 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

Exactly! Seasonal flu has an average mortality rate of around 0.1% compared to 1% for Covid-19 and it is much more infectious.

Everything the Government is doing now is just aimed at slowing down the spread so the NHS is not overwhelmed. But your estimate of 0.5 million deaths attributable to Covid-19 is probably reasonable.

The other thing to bear in mind is that seasonal flu is predictable and infection usually dies back in April. Covid-19 is completely new and nobody knows what it will do. 

It's not as if the planet can't stand to lose a few million, particularly old duffers like me. 

Two men in Iran who defied coronavirus health warnings could be jailed and flogged after videos circulated of them licking holy shrines.

In one of the videos, viewed more than half a million times, a man is seen at the Masumeh shrine in Qom, saying, "I'm not scared of coronavirus", before licking and kissing the gates.

So no more kissing the squirrels then. 

23 minutes ago, Wrangodog said:

Two men in Iran who defied coronavirus health warnings could be jailed and flogged after videos circulated of them licking holy shrines.

In one of the videos, viewed more than half a million times, a man is seen at the Masumeh shrine in Qom, saying, "I'm not scared of coronavirus", before licking and kissing the gates.

So no more kissing the squirrels then. 

Or humping them...

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

You never know, he might be one of the 1%.

if he insists on shaking hands with everyone he might: 

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-vows-coronavirus-not-21622835

Boris Johnson has insisted the coronavirus threat would not stop him greeting people with a handshake.

The Prime Minister even said he had shaken the hands of everyone at a hospital where infected patients were being treated.

He was speaking at the unveiling of the  UK's battle plan to treat the virus.

This included a warning that as many as one in five employees could be off work at the peak of the outbreak.

France recommended last week that people do not shake hands to prevent the spread of the virus, while Switzerland has said its residents should consider dropping the everyday greeting of kissing each other on the cheek.

Mr Johnson however, exhibited no such caution.

"I'm shaking hands," Mr Johnson said when asked how he planned to handle visiting dignitaries.

"I was at a hospital the other night where I think a few there were actually coronavirus patients and I shook hands with everybody, you'll be pleased to know, and I continue to shake hands.