Scaremongering or Not, Corona Virus = Nae Killie

Andy

34 minutes ago, Wrangodog said:

Had an appointment at A*r Hospital, roads didn't appear appreciably quieter and car park was just as busy. 

That’s maybe not surprising that hospitals are busy when the country is entering the grip of a disease unknown to us in our lifetime. Anyone with an apt will want seen before the health service has to change from the normal function to fire-fighting mode and non essential services are withdrawn. 
Offices, city centre places and big employers are all trying wherever possible to get people working from home if manageable. M77 and trains quieter than normal and will continue to be. 

1 hour ago, Shropshire_killie said:

Govt waking up and following EU lead at last although schools should close  imo for at least 4 weeks. 

They also now have the perfect excuse that Brexit will f**k us up.

So who's to look after the children of the NHS staff which are busier and required more than ever? Not having a dig here btw, just pointing out that I don't know what the right and wrong answers are in all of this. 

20 minutes ago, Dieter's Heeder said:

So who's to look after the children of the NHS staff which are busier and required more than ever? Not having a dig here btw, just pointing out that I don't know what the right and wrong answers are in all of this. 

That’s the part of this govts strategy that’s causing most disquiet. They are trying for as long as possible to prevent the NHS becoming overwhelmed with covid19 patients . 

46 minutes ago, Dieter's Heeder said:

It's a good point tho Dieter. Unknown territory. I dunno either tbh. Fraz!!!!

On 3/3/2020 at 12:16 PM, skygod said:

It might not sound it, but this is ridiculously high.

One death for every hundred who contract it, with a "reasonable worst case scenario" of 80% contraction rate, equates to almost half a million deaths by my calculation.

The CMO officer seemed to still be talking about a 1% mortality rate today - "very low chance of dying" were his words, I think.

This might explain why Johnson was even more of a blithering idiot than usual:  

It all puts discussions about whether or not Hearts should be relegated into perspective....

1 hour ago, Dieter's Heeder said:

School attendance is a controversial area and there are arguments both for and against. 

The Netherlands are allowing the children of frontline health staff to attend school, but schools are closed for everyone else.  

Children don't seem to get anything more than a mild illness, which is very reassuring for those of us with young children. 

1 hour ago, Shropshire_killie said:

It's a good point tho Dieter. Unknown territory. I dunno either tbh. Fraz!!!!

Scary that there's so many consequences behind every decision that gets made. 

39 minutes ago, fraz65 said:

School attendance is a controversial area and there are arguments both for and against. 

The Netherlands are allowing the children of frontline health staff to attend school, but schools are closed for everyone else.  

Children don't seem to get anything more than a mild illness, which is very reassuring for those of us with young children. 

That sounds a good idea on the face of it, I'm sure there are counter arguments to that too though I suppose. 

I do not trust this government one single bit. The lies that has come out their mouths daily over the last few years is sickening and they were elected on the back of denigrating 'experts' ...'had enough of experts', remember? Every time I see Johnson or Hancock looking like rabbits in the headlights, they make me want to puke.

But they're the ones in position and I can appreciate what a tough situation they're in. They have to communicate real, honest science despite their aversion to every single one of those words and not having a single clue what they're talking about!

I wonder if Johnson is prioritising slowing down the spread of the virus; with the caveat that the most at risk or problematic categories, the elderly, prisoners, drug addicts etc. will be collateral damage in the calculations anyway; or is he prioritising the economic stability of the country and shoring up the stock market?

I don't wanna gamble lives with these clowns. Heads or tails peeps....

1 hour ago, Scooter said:

I do not trust this government one single bit. The lies that has come out their mouths daily over the last few years is sickening and they were elected on the back of denigrating 'experts' ...'had enough of experts', remember? Every time I see Johnson or Hancock looking like rabbits in the headlights, they make me want to puke.

But they're the ones in position and I can appreciate what a tough situation they're in. That have to communicate real, honest science despite their aversion to every single one of those words and not having a single clue what they're talking about!

I wonder if Johnson is prioritising slowing down the spread of the virus; with the caveat that the most at risk or problematic categories, the elderly, prisoners, drug addicts etc. will be collateral damage in the calculations anyway; or is he prioritising the economic stability of the country and shoring up the stock market?

I don't wanna gamble lives with these clowns. Heads or tails peeps....

I'm not sure that they know what they're doing. There seems to be a big difference of opinion in public health circles regarding the best way forward. 

The obvious solution would be to try and replicate what the Asian countries have done.

We don't know whether a second wave will occur there yet and presumably the lockdown will have to continue for up to a year to stop further imported cases from Europe and the US. 

Herd immunity isn't usually a strategy in and of itself in a viral pandemic. This will happen anyway once an infection has spread through a community. 

The options seem to be controlled spread and flattening the curve to avoid becoming Italy, or have a widespread lockdown for months. The former approach will almost certainly result in the health service being overwhelmed. The second option probably won't be successful either as it should have been implemented in February. 

Edited by fraz65

The issue isn't absolute numbers, it's the rate of infection. At present, we're on the same trajectory as Italy, so what happens there will happen here. 

Scotland has more than 200 ICU beds for the whole country. In Australia we have 2000 but can increase to 4000 fairly easily.

That's around 20 times the ICU capacity as Scotland for five times the population. Scotland will presumably have some surge capacity but they don't have the private sector bed volume of Australia. 

In addition, Scotland has an older and sicker population. 

Edited by fraz65

I'm not sure if this is of any interest to anyone. It's the Australia and New Zealand Intensive Care Society COVID-19 guideline which we published yesterday. 

It contains sections on staff safety, pandemic planning and diagnosis and treatment. 

https://anzics.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=03cbd5b8a6d36c351c46c235e&id=7a78312ca5&e=24a65257cb&fbclid=IwAR0IBjytDE1N9tjlboNcFlwebpaMC2Kciwdx5en3-VHJAOtYT5MfW_faS_s

8 hours ago, Bonbon19 said:

The 1st link should have a :) after it or #conspiracyrus 

And linking #201 and the TED talk it just proves my point that no govt could or were willing to plan for this eventuality . I’ve no idea how much it would have cost to implement a plan for such an incident but the largest economies in the world chose not to , or more likely couldn’t justify to their populations diverting funds to do so . I agree it would appear shortsighted now but if they acted and funded all disaster case scenarios pointed out to them I’m sure there would be objections 

It was a case of when, rather than if, a global pandemic would occur. 

Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong and (to an extent) China were much better prepared for this than the Western countries. 

This was as a result of their experience with SARS. The infrastructure for testing, screening, quarantine and intra-governmental communication and leadership channels were far superior than the West.

This meant that Singapore and Hong Kong managed to stifle the virus before it took hold. 

Preparing properly would have been costly, but a fraction of the cost of a viral pandemic. 

5 hours ago, chubbs said:

Trump has tried to buy exclusive rights to a possible vaccine being worked on by a German company .... w@nk.

Fair does to the Germans for telling him to f**k off and saying if something came out of the research it would be for the world not just Americans. Was interesting seeing the foreigners at the US airport all trying to leave and being crammed in against all the advice. My impression is the American administration wouldn't give a f**k about the risk they all taking 

Edited by Shropshire_killie
Spelling & Duplication

It makes me sick to hear Trump at his briefings boasting how the US is the richest country in the world, has the strongest economy in the world, the best doctors and scientists in the world, and so on.

This is not a contest. If it teaches us anything, it should be that every country is affected equally and the way to defeat it is to unite and share. 

It says everything that he is trying to buy up exclusive rights to a vaccine - the rich man in town who thinks he can save his own skin by buying his safety. 

In movies that scenario usually ends with the rich man being the first to succumb to the threat, or suffering the worst fate. 

Edited by skygod

26 minutes ago, Scooter said:

Folk walking round Aldi with toilet rolls like they're gold bars, none left already. It's absolutely ridiculous. :D

The supermarkets not restricting sales is whats causing it. Lining their pockets on fear. Keep the shelves full peopls panick less simples. 

1 hour ago, skygod said:

It makes me sick to hear Trump at his briefings boasting how the US is the richest country in the world, has the strongest economy in the world, the best doctors and scientists in the world, and so on.

Shame half the c**ts in his country can't afford the doctors to treat them.

Not one to wish ill on anyone but if Trump get's it and snuffs it, it'll be poetic justice.

Apparently this was the study that changed the government's mind. 

It's hard to believe, particularly when myself and hundreds of other frontline health workers have been stating the obvious since February. 

Will we see Chris Whitty and Patrick Vallance rewarded with seats in the House of Lords next year for towing the party line?

IMG_20200317_193352.jpg

Edited by fraz65