Scaremongering or Not, Corona Virus = Nae Killie

Andy

The Queen Elizabeth hospital in Glasgow has rightly had criticism since it opened, but it has one big advantage in this situation over older hospitals. There are no open wards, all patients are housed in individual rooms, thus limiting the likelihood of patient to patient transmission of the virus. 

8 hours ago, gdevoy said:

You are absolutely 100% right in everything you say. All government decisions seem to have been taken based on an algorithm to minimise the spread of Covid-19.

I have no idea regarding how much consideration has been given to:

a) the impact on peoples mental health
b) the sustainability of the current advice without "enforcement"
c) the economic impact at a personal level
d) the impact on the national / global economy

The one thing that is crystal clear to me is that you cannot successfully implement such a disease spread algorithm for 3 to 6 months without some consideration to the above.

a) Largely considered to be of a lower priority than the virus

b) They will find out soon enough that not everyone is following it. This is the point when other countries went into lock down

c) Their current package is reliant on employers NOT laying people off and taking up the current financial assistance / tax relief from the government. QE is back and talk of unlimited loans to support businesses. I'm not convinced that companies will seek this or how quickly they can receive the "aid/loan". The US have been talking about a package to give direct cash payments of $1000 to each citizen

d) It's going to be bad. Very bad! They seem to think it will bounce back quickly but when will normal service be resumed? and what companies or even industries will be left? The financial stimulus that governments are coming up with will be on a par or higher than the 2008 sub prime crash.

It looks like this is the price we have to pay to get a handle on this virus and buy us time to either come up with a vaccine or a way of working round it.

3 hours ago, Wrangodog said:

The Queen Elizabeth hospital in Glasgow has rightly had criticism since it opened, but it has one big advantage in this situation over older hospitals. There are no open wards, all patients are housed in individual rooms, thus limiting the likelihood of patient to patient transmission of the virus. 

That's the case in our unit and in most new hospitals. A definite advantage in controlling infection spread. 

I've still not had a case.

We're predicting things starting in three weeks but it could be next week as we've effectively stopped testing. 

The major issue that we're having is nursing staff. An estimated 40% to be off on sick leave and that's not counting those needing time off for child care. This partially explains the schools still being open. 

I suspect that this is the case in the UK as well. 

Just now, fraz65 said:

We're predicting things starting in three weeks but it could be next week as we've effectively stopped testing. 

The major issue that we're having is nursing staff. An estimated 40% to be off on sick leave and that's not counting those needing time off for child care. This partially explains the schools still being open. 

Schools are shutting down. There is talk about schools being open for jobs which are deemed critical similar to what the Dutch are doing. 

30 minutes ago, psv_killie said:

Schools are shutting down. There is talk about schools being open for jobs which are deemed critical similar to what the Dutch are doing. 

It's not "talk." It's what's happening (in England). I'm going to be in work Monday, possibly through the Easter holidays and for the foreseeable future.

10 hours ago, fraz65 said:

My son intubated his first case this week at Wishaw , the patient as of yesterday was holding their own , but the shortage of PPE is nearing the critical stage he says . 

1 hour ago, Bonbon19 said:

My son intubated his first case this week at Wishaw , the patient as of yesterday was holding their own , but the shortage of PPE is nearing the critical stage he says . 

The health secretary made a statement on this in Holyrood on Tuesday afternoon.  Didn't hit the wall and miss the trusts either.  They've allegedly been given resources and stock for front line workers specifically, but how long this takes to get through the various managers is debatable, how many of these tits will hold onto stock and ration it rather than just get it to those who bloody need it.

She also gave notice that some universities were going to get a roasting for arguing over who provides PPE for placement students.

There is ko excuse, beyond a worldwide shortage (which should have been catered for by now) for front line staff nor having PPE.

11 hours ago, fraz65 said:

This is why the testing is being restricted to front line and key workers.  If the present they get tested, speedier response and if OK, back to work and then another test a week later.  Its realistically the only option, as blanket testing wont work as itll just slow everything even further.

46 minutes ago, Beaker71 said:

The health secretary made a statement on this in Holyrood on Tuesday afternoon.  Didn't hit the wall and miss the trusts either.  They've allegedly been given resources and stock for front line workers specifically, but how long this takes to get through the various managers is debatable, how many of these tits will hold onto stock and ration it rather than just get it to those who bloody need it.

She also gave notice that some universities were going to get a roasting for arguing over who provides PPE for placement students.

There is ko excuse, beyond a worldwide shortage (which should have been catered for by now) for front line staff nor having PPE.

That was Wednesday tbf from what youre saying and what Hancock has said things should be improving . 

6 hours ago, fraz65 said:

Screenshot_20200320-200546_Chrome.jpg

Interesting numbers.  Over 50% of fatalities are over 80, 85% over 70.  50 times more fatal if you contract it in your 80s than 40s and x12 as fatal for those in their 70s than 50s. Scary stuff.  With only 4 cases under 40, I’m guessing there not even counting or testing younger ages groups, who get it and are only slightly unwell.