Scaremongering or Not, Corona Virus = Nae Killie

Andy

4 hours ago, fraz65 said:

There was a good article in the Guardian about the Singaporean approach to contact tracing.

The police there don't have anything to do as crime is so low so they perform a forensic analysis of a patient's movements. 

I'll try and find it and post the link. 

Was on the bbc website very interesting,they told a woman she took a taxi at 7.22 and was in it for 8 minutes when she checked the app on her phone they were correct.They put people who have come into contact with a suspected case into 48 isolation until a test is done then if a negative result comes through they still put then into 7 days self isolation 

7 hours ago, fraz65 said:

Serious questions have to be asked about why an island state allowed a viral pandemic to take hold without any concerted effort to close the borders and contact trace

Be more like Lanzarote , they are closing the island to planes and ships unless it’s essential supplies . Don’t know if they’re contact tracing as I suspect they don’t have the resources or manpower but all people who want to get off the island have to do so by this Tuesday . To date they’ve only had 4 cases 

9 hours ago, Wrangodog said:

I'm finding it hard to get my head around the whole thing. Mother's day on Sunday normally involves a family meal of some sort, instead it looks like the kids will be Skyping my wife. One of our daughters has a birthday on the 3rd of April, our eldest grandson's birthday is on the 22nd, what the hell can you do ?  My life revolves around my family, watching Killie and football in general, and going to the cinema. At the moment because of my age I'm supposed to stay indoors apart from going for walks and gardening. If there is an end date or even some idea of when some normality will return then people will accept the hardship and put up with the restrictions, but if it drags on until the winter I can't see how we can live like that. The longer it goes on the elderly will be resented, understandably, because normal life is being destroyed to keep them alive. I don't see how the restrictions can be applied for an extended period. If people are working from home all week or doing one of the essential jobs, they will need some release other than sitting drinking in the house with all tensions that that could stir up in family relationships. From my point of view I can put up with living like this for so long, but then you question if you are just living for the sake of living with little or no enjoyment in family or social life. 

I understand your fears. I share some of them myself. 

It looks like the social distancing and shutting down of places will happen in cycles. How many I'm not sure and how long for I'm also unsure but I'm treating this as the new norm. Hopefully the cycles being turned off and on will reduce the fatigue they were talking about last week. 

My most optimistic thoughts are in 2 years to have my loved ones, specially the older ones still about and for me to be still in a job able to support my family. If I had said that 4 weeks ago people would have said "bloody hell cheer up". 

The younger people will in time come to resent this. They are already struggling with the housing market and this situation is going to add so much debt onto the country that they will have to live with and somehow pay for. The alternative however is horrific. 

In the absence of a much needed faster response let's see if we can find a balance between restricting and reducing this virus and keeping society and the economy running. It's going to be very difficult but we need to make sure the health care systems don't get overrun or the death rate just goes out of control 

7 minutes ago, Bonbon19 said:

Be more like Lanzarote , they are closing the island to planes and ships unless it’s essential supplies . Don’t know if they’re contact tracing as I suspect they don’t have the resources or manpower but all people who want to get off the island have to do so by this Tuesday . To date they’ve only had 4 cases 

Tasmania has done the same thing. They'll probably come out of this less affected than mainland Australia. 

There’s a lot of people still not taking this serious,guy at work coughing and sneezing all over the place work said go home he asked do a get paid.Told only for the shift you get sent home then it’s standard sickpay procedure his reply was a can’t afford to be off so am staying!

9 hours ago, RAG said:

I did sociology at uni, but even I know there's no vaccine for the common cold and recently learned the common cold is a coronavirus.  100 years from now they'll ask why everyone wasn't put into a 4 week lockdown and tracked via their mobile phone. Not that I'd usually support lockdowns and mobile phone tracking but they are better 21c ways of gathering data than the approach in the West, especially the UK where they're doing no testing (unlike Scotland) to determine where it is in the community, to stamp out hot spots and outbreaks.

The last thing you want is to allow governments to track people who have done nothing wrong, 'in the interests of public health'.

Although, they could probably just ask Google and Amazon for the data, if they haven't already.

2 hours ago, Scooby_Doo said:

The last thing you want is to allow governments to track people who have done nothing wrong, 'in the interests of public health'.

Although, they could probably just ask Google and Amazon for the data, if they haven't already.

I'd agree with you under normal circumstances, but the gov is almost completely restricting both movement and trade at present, with no end in sight, in the interests of public health.  Is a moral maze, but I think they'd be better having tighter restrictions - even app tracking so people knew they were more 'safe' from the virus - for a short period 3-4months, than a longer restriction on our liberties for 18m-2yrs.

Each time you concede a human right, you find it much harder to argue against losing the others. And it becomes much easier for them to take them away.

I think generally, in philosophical terms, people will accept the restrictions at the moment. That's because although they are onerous, the government appear to be doing (mostly) what they can to reimburse people, and it's in the interests of public health as you say. Whilst there isn't an exact date, the general consensus is two or three months.

Things might change if it is extended, but effectively tagging everyone wouldn't go down well.

There's no medical suggestion this will last 2-3 months.  All the medical reports I've read suggest end of year to 18 months.  The 2-3 month shutdown is all about managing ICU NHS bed capacity, or not exceeding it. When they get over the peak of cases, restrictions will be relaxed, cases go back up, then restrictions are put back on and repeat.  In that context, 6 months down the line, tracking groups (eg under 40s) who are at little risk, may cause less social harm for the entire population, than the current set up. 

Edited by RAG

1 hour ago, RAG said:

There's no medical suggestion this will last 2-3 months.  All the medical reports I've read suggest end of year to 18 months.  The 2-3 month shutdown is all about managing ICU NHS bed capacity, or not exceeding it. When they get over the peak of cases, restrictions will be relaxed, cases go back up, then restrictions are put back on and repeat.  In that context, 6 months down the line, tracking groups (eg under 40s) who are at little risk, may cause less social harm for the entire population, than the current set up. 

Exactly this. Manage the crisis until we have a vaccine or herd immunity. Which ever one is first. 

Not that I’m making any sort of excuse for them, but during that press conference I am sure Bumbling Boris asked for pubs/restaurants/café closures but did not tell them to do so? 

Some other places are showing more responsibility. I noticed that McChristie’s and Portland Arms in Crosshouse shut on Wednesday with a measured announcement posted outside both establishments explaining their reasons and urging everyone to stay safe. 

Perhaps the soaring death toll in Italy and our scarily similar, but two weeks behind, trajectory will help get the message across. 

3 hours ago, Stefanus said:

Worryingly, we are at the same number of fatalities, at the same stage, as Italy. 

Truly terrifying. 

The first confirmed case in the UK was on January 31. 233 people have died at the time of writing in the UK.

The first confirmed case in Italy was on January 31. 4825 people have died at the time of writing in Italy.

My figures come from Wikipedia. Where do yours come from?

22 minutes ago, Scooby_Doo said:

The first confirmed case in the UK was on January 31. 233 people have died at the time of writing in the UK.

The first confirmed case in Italy was on January 31. 4825 people have died at the time of writing in Italy.

My figures come from Wikipedia. Where do yours come from?

Pretty sure your timeline is way out.

The last week of January I was with 2 guys who had returned from Wuhan the previous week and it was still fairly localised to China at that time.

2 hours ago, killie1961 said:

Reassuring to see the Crown Pub in killie taking the crisis seriously drove past and was open irresponsible

Reports of pubs all across Ayrshire open for business as usual. Read one article about a pub in Greenock being open. The police went in and asked them to close. Pub refused and the police left as there was nothing they could do. 

33 minutes ago, Stefanus said:

Not that I’m making any sort of excuse for them, but during that press conference I am sure Bumbling Boris asked for pubs/restaurants/café closures but did not tell them to do so? 

Some other places are showing more responsibility. I noticed that McChristie’s and Portland Arms in Crosshouse shut on Wednesday with a measured announcement posted outside both establishments explaining their reasons and urging everyone to stay safe. 

Perhaps the soaring death toll in Italy and our scarily similar, but two weeks behind, trajectory will help get the message across. 

Boris's request was irrelevant when the first minister in effect ordered all such establishments to close in Fridays announcement.  The owners and the customers should be getting charged with endangering public health.

Selfish bastards,  it's not them who will get sick, it's their parents and grandparents their neighbours or work colleagues with underlying health conditions, or the healthcare professional who will care for those they infect. 

Anyone out in the pub today, is an absolute c**t.

10 minutes ago, piffer said:

Reports of pubs all across Ayrshire open for business as usual. Read one article about a pub in Greenock being open. The police went in and asked them to close. Pub refused and the police left as there was nothing they could do. 

Report the pubs to the local councils? Councils can revoke their license. Citing public health & safety? 

That would, however, require the councils to grow a set.

1 hour ago, Stefanus said:

Yesterday’s message was to close as early as reasonably possible last night, and not to reopen today. 

But this is typical of Johnson - his messages are so mealy mouthed and apologetic that people hear different messages. 

I suggest he recruits Bob Geldof to tell pubs to “Shut your f**king doors or go to jail!”, and people to “Stay in your f**king houses or you’ll be locked in!” 

Edited by skygod

5 minutes ago, CB said:

Report the pubs to the local councils? Councils can revoke their license. Citing public health & safety? 

That would, however, require the councils to grow a set.

Could go down the Putin route. Reading he’s given Russians a choice. 15days isolation or 5years in prison.