Scaremongering or Not, Corona Virus = Nae Killie

Andy

15 minutes ago, skygod said:

Yesterday’s message was to close as early as reasonably possible last night, and not to reopen today. 

But this is typical of Johnson - his messages are so mealy mouthed and apologetic that people hear different messages. 

I suggest he recruits Bob Geldof to tell pubs to “Shut your f**king doors or go to jail!” and people to “Stay in your f**king houses of you’ll be locked in!” 

Are we surprised unfit to be a leader

Interesting that Italy, where they took the approach that it was all hyped out if proportion and decided to just carry on as normal they now need the army to take the bodies away. 

Yeah there is no vaccine for the common cold and we gave lived with it for centuries. But the common cold rarely puts anybody on a ventilator. This will kill tens of thousands. How many thousand depends on us.

Edited by gdevoy

39 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

Interesting that Italy, where they took the approach that it was all hyped out if proportion and decided to just carry on as normal they now need the army to take the bodies away. 

Yeah there is no vaccine for the common cold and we gave lived with it for centuries. But the common cold rarely puts anybody on a ventilator. This will kill tens of thousands. How many thousand depends on us.

Apparently Italy were particularly unlucky as it started in a nursing home, or it was first detected there amongst staff members spreading it about.  Hence the focus here (rightly) on care workers getting the right sort of protection.

In Germany (according to some DR on c4 news) there has been less deaths cos the outbreak was in an alpine region bordering Italy and skiers are generally in good cardiovascular health.  He reckoned the German death rate would increase though.

17 minutes ago, CSI Kilmarnock said:

Did anyone see the woman outside a rammed grocers in London on the C4 news on Thursday evening who said something along the lines of ' I'm carrying on as normal, If we change how we do things, it's just letting the virus win ...'

You literally cannot reach or teach stupid ...

Just yer typical London w@nk.

7 hours ago, CSI Kilmarnock said:

Did anyone see the woman outside a rammed grocers in London on the C4 news on Thursday evening who said something along the lines of ' I'm carrying on as normal, If we change how we do things, it's just letting the virus win ...'

You literally cannot reach or teach stupid ...

My money is on the virus in that fight.

8 hours ago, chubbs said:

Just yer typical London w@nk.

No, she she was just an old dear, in her 80s probably, who has been brainwashed through wars and terrorism and power shortages and transport strikes and everything else to Keep Calm and Carry On.

This is a different threat and the govt, advised by its scientists, thought that the tactic should be to create herd immunity by infecting everybody. This would make the woman in question collateral damage. 

If they do a U-turn in the space of seven days, you can't blame a confused old woman for doing what she has been told to do all her life. 

The UK government messaging throughout this crisis has been extremely ambiguous at times in my opinion even on Thursday I was utterly shocked to hear Boris suggest he “hoped to see his mother on Sunday” in response to a question. That answer has probably directly contributed to 1000s if people deciding they will visit their mothers today. Now he is claiming that he meant a Skype call!

anyway all that withstanding the message that we all need to limit social contact is very very clear. It’s absolutely shocking to see so many people, even on the first day of these restrictions, seemingly almost completely ignoring them. We have all been given a bit of freedom to go out for a walk with households as long as we are sensible about it. For me this is going to make an absolutely huge difference over the coming months. My young kids will get through this almost happily if they can do this. Unfortunately if what I saw yesterday continues with people acting more or less as normal and stories of hoardes of people taking day trips as if it’s a public holiday then that small bit of freedom will soon be taken away.

a really striking thing is how many people seem to be thinking about the risk in terms of what it means for themselves, when that really isn’t the point in most cases.

Edited by Tom061087

8 minutes ago, Jasg said:

Done with what exactly?boris asked the pubs to close he never made it law so there is nothing legally stopping them opening,morally is a different story

They’ll crack down on this.  Any pub open is causing ‘a risk to public health’ and has most almost certainly violated it’s license to sell alcohol.  

14 minutes ago, Stefanus said:

BFF8789F-67D5-4985-AD5F-A63D7A534C89.jpeg

Yeah but with the one on the left you get a seat on the UN Security Council, dont think it would ever be much actual use. Would surprise me to find that The Donald is trying to panic buy the word supply of the one on the right even as we speak.

6 hours ago, Jasg said:

boris asked the pubs to close he never made it law so there is nothing legally stopping them opening,morally is a different story

Is it not the case they have to put emergency legislation through parliament first to actually make to law?   Likewise the Scottish Parliament will do the same this week coming. 

Edited by Pelesboots

My partner careworker supporting vulnerable adults. Last Thurs member of staff didnt turn up for shift. His mam phoned and said he was very ill and he was told dont go to hozzy, isolate. Fair enough. My partner on way to work now and requested update  before she goes. No update available from management. Just mulling over whether that is acceptable by employer, as partner has to txt in each morning to confirm she is well. IMO employer should reciprocate  potentially crucial info so valued judgement can be made as to whether to go in to work. 

3 hours ago, piffer said:

I reckon we’ll be on full blown lock down by the middle of the week. 

I wouldn't be surprised if that happens on Monday.  Apparently, it's spread to 4-6 people from every infected person, not 2-3 as they thought from Chinese data.  More worryingly, UK deaths are above both China and Italy at this stage in the outbreak and both their health services collapsed.