Scaremongering or Not, Corona Virus = Nae Killie

Andy

1 hour ago, Shropshire_killie said:

My partner careworker supporting vulnerable adults. Last Thurs member of staff didnt turn up for shift. His mam phoned and said he was very ill and he was told dont go to hozzy, isolate. Fair enough. My partner on way to work now and requested update  before she goes. No update available from management. Just mulling over whether that is acceptable by employer, as partner has to txt in each morning to confirm she is well. IMO employer should reciprocate  potentially crucial info so valued judgement can be made as to whether to go in to work. 

We were discussing the same thing last week.  We have to fill in health questionnaires before going onsite ... yet our management have never asked for anything from customers.

58 minutes ago, RAG said:

I wouldn't be surprised if that happens on Monday.  Apparently, it's spread to 4-6 people from every infected person, not 2-3 as they thought from Chinese data.  More worryingly, UK deaths are above both China and Italy at this stage in the outbreak and both their health services collapsed.

Can someone point me to the reliable source of data that says UK deaths are above Italy? I know the figures I quoted were from Wikipedia, but their source was Public Health England.

11 minutes ago, Scooby_Doo said:

Can someone point me to the reliable source of data that says UK deaths are above Italy? I know the figures I quoted were from Wikipedia, but their source was Public Health England.

UK deaths are supposedly above Italy *at this stage in the outbreak*.  Reported in the FT and analysis by John Hopkins University.  

corona.jpg

33 minutes ago, RAG said:

UK deaths are supposedly above Italy *at this stage in the outbreak*.  Reported in the FT and analysis by John Hopkins University.  

corona.jpg

Yep Scotland who seem to me to habe been ahead of the UK.government in all of this are at less that half our population share.  But all these things can change very quickly and people need to heed the advice being given or this will not be the case for long.

1 hour ago, RAG said:

I wouldn't be surprised if that happens on Monday.  Apparently, it's spread to 4-6 people from every infected person, not 2-3 as they thought from Chinese data.  More worryingly, UK deaths are above both China and Italy at this stage in the outbreak and both their health services collapsed.

That's because the Chinese do what the state tells them or they get shot. In the UK "were not going to let the virus win" by changing our behaviour.

27 minutes ago, Beaker71 said:

Yep Scotland who seem to me to habe been ahead of the UK.government in all of this are at less that half our population share.  But all these things can change very quickly and people need to heed the advice being given or this will not be the case for long.

Can you give the pathetic political point scoring a rest please?

27 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

That's because the Chinese do what the state tells them or they get shot. In the UK "were not going to let the virus win" by changing our behaviour.

Whatever South Korea did seems to be the correct way to go.  They had a huge outbreak and rapidly slowed it down.  China claimed to have no new domestic cases, in a population of 1bn one day last week, but big Fellani that used to play for Everton and Man U, has just tested positive in Shanghai.  So the Chinese figure are most probably BS - like they were at the start of the outbreak.

14 minutes ago, RAG said:

So the Chinese figure are most probably BS - like they were at the start of the outbreak.

There's that possibility. The easiest way to keep the numbers down is to do fewer tests than anybody else. The Donald seems to be trying that approach.

1 hour ago, Beaker71 said:

Yep Scotland who seem to me to habe been ahead of the UK government in all of this are at less that half our population share.

The UK government and devolved governments have all working together.  

Sturgeon, who I am normally not a fan of and much to her credit, has not attempted to make any political point scoring at all on this issue.  I think she has shown real leadership and is to be commended for her actions to date.

55 minutes ago, RAG said:

big Fellani that used to play for Everton and Man U, has just tested positive in Shanghai.  So the Chinese figure are most probably BS - like they were at the start of the outbreak.

Fellaini has only recently returned to China to resume training. 

Edited by Pelesboots

13 hours ago, RAG said:

Whatever South Korea did seems to be the correct way to go.  They had a huge outbreak and rapidly slowed it down.

The profile of South Korean victims was very different - 30% in their twenties and 62% women, only 5% of whom are smokers in Korea. 

Compare with Italy, which has the second oldest population in the world.

There was also a very high rate of testing - 270,000 in total.

Edited by skygod

ferries to Bute are now running for essential services, no longer the general public. My mum is there alone and has underlying health issues. I'm in Canada, so worried and feel almost guilty I'm not there.

Canada are doing well, shut borders with USA without Trump blowing a fuse. That was my biggest concern here, infected Americans coming back and forth into the country and getting others sick.

Flights from elsewhere also closed. They were being checked and anyone who came from a high risk area are being sent to quarantine facilities for two weeks before being sent home. Kept the numbers down so far.

11 hours ago, Scooby_Doo said:

It's not political point scoring,  perhaps the Scottish government are doing things faster than the UK, or different or its our demographic which is giving us different numbers.

Maybe it's a coincidence.  But perhaps the rUK can change their tactics and reduce their numbers too.  Enfland in particular seems to be rocketing and similar to Italy.  That's my point  something needs to change because what's being done in Enfland isnt working as they need it to just now.

It may just be the population concentration in a similar space, and what they're doing is the best they could do.

England has at the moment 20 times the deaths when it would be expected to be 10, that's worrying.  This whole island needs to stop personal travel other than essentials.  No planes or boats in unless its essential goods.  England needs to lock down its hotspots to try and stop it soreading wider.

Edited by Beaker71

1 hour ago, Killie71 said:

The case concerning the healthy 36 year old (with no underlying issues) might just act as a catalyst for the people not yet taking this seriously.

Been said before but 9% of those infected get seriously I'll, without underlying conditions.  Noone knows why but it happens.

Also blood group O for some reason are less susceptible than group A.  Again noone knows why.

This isn't just a flu it's a killer and all these s**t biscuits heading to parks and pubs and the beach are a shower of arsehoops. And I reckon it'll take someone they know getting it to make them see sense, by which time it's too late, if it's not too late already.

15 hours ago, Scooby_Doo said:

So we can talk about what China are doing, or Italy or Canada or South Korea are doing and that's okay, but mention Scotland and there's an ulterior motive? 

Even thinking that way is pathetic! I thought we were trying to find best practices, wherever they come from.

17 minutes ago, Wrangodog said:

Canada and Australia pulling out of the Olympics, can't see it happening now. Too many sportsmen and women plus spectators from around the World, far too big a risk. 

Madness of the Japanese to even consider it possible when this is still accelerating globally.

Wishful Denial I think is the likely phrase.

I think we all need to accept that 2020 is about containment and research for a vaccine (if possible)  and the world that hopefully most of us get to live in at the other side must be a different one where we actually all care about the wellbeing of all of us and the planet and then we can consider capitalistic concerns.  Without the first two the third is pointless and self defeating.

43 minutes ago, Wrangodog said:

Canada and Australia pulling out of the Olympics, can't see it happening now. Too many sportsmen and women plus spectators from around the World, far too big a risk. 

Have the Aussies stopped all sport in their own country yet. The AFL stopped yesterday but that was their decision.

17 minutes ago, Beaker71 said:

Madness of the Japanese to even consider it possible when this is still accelerating globally.

Wishful Denial I think is the likely phrase.

I think we all need to accept that 2020 is about containment and research for a vaccine (if possible)  and the world that hopefully most of us get to live in at the other side must be a different one where we actually all care about the wellbeing of all of us and the planet and then we can consider capitalistic concerns.  Without the first two the third is pointless and self defeating.

Think that is unlikely, it's still going to be self-preservation unless the capitalist system collapses, which is possible. Like it or not people voted in Trump and Johnson for a reason, and it wasn't to buck the system. 

Just now, Wrangodog said:

Like it or not people voted in Trump and Johnson for a reason, and it wasn't to buck the system. 

But my work colleague constantly reminds me that Trump won on an "anti-establishment" vote.  A guy whose entire world view is based on how much Wonga is involved, but this is supposed to be a break from the old hackneyed politics of the past.