Scaremongering or Not, Corona Virus = Nae Killie

Andy

5 minutes ago, Beaker71 said:

There was a definitely a difference between Scotland and England and Wales with the virus. Perhaps it’s demographics but we’ve less than 7% cases and less than 3.5% deaths.

Really difficult to separate population density effects from cultural norms like hugging vs handshakes from how much people trust their leaders.

All will have an input, hard to quantify right now. Just pray we are right on the edge of this and it really doesnt like the cold.

33 minutes ago, Beaker71 said:

There was a definitely a difference between Scotland and England and Wales with the virus. Perhaps it’s demographics but we’ve less than 7% cases and less than 3.5% deaths.

It might not be the same coronavirus.  In Iceland they determined the Austrian, Italian and English strains were different.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/24/iceland-scientists-found-40-mutations-of-the-coronavirus-report-says/

“Some came from Austria,” Kári Stefánsson, director of the company, told the outlet, according to a translation by the Daily Mail.

“There is another type from people who were infected in Italy. And there is a third type of virus found in people infected in England. Seven people had attended a football match in England.” The study has yet to be formally reviewed by other scientists.

But Allan Randrup Thomsen, a virologist with the Department of Immunology and Microbiology at the University of Copenhagen, told the Iceland outlet that the findings “make good sense.”

“It is interesting with the 40 specific variants that fall into three clusters that can be traced back to specific sources of infection,” the professor said. “Coronavirus is known as a virus that can mutate reasonably violently. We have seen reports of variants from China already. That way, it fits well with what one expects.”

Edited by RAG

List of companies to boycott post Corpnavirus, for the bosses generally being c**ts and putting money ahead of lives.

1. Britannia Hotels (they own the coylumbridge hotel)

2. Sports Direct

3. Weatherspoons.  The owner himself has always been a tosser but his recent behaviour is beyond the pale.

4. Travel lodge.  Turned homeless people and families put at 2 hours notice after making millions from local councils.  Utter chunts, and against the government allowances.

I am sure there will be more but the behaviour of these guys in either treating their staff with utter contempt, putting profit before people or flouting instructions to keep us all safe, should see them suffer when we all come out of the other side.

19 hours ago, RAG said:

I fell down a wikipedia hole one evening and was looking at the Black Death Plague. Apparently that's where they developed the concept and idea of quarantine - despite not knowing what the plague was at the time.  Seems to be a standard human societal  response trough the ages, quarantine the population when infectious diseases that can't be treated are kicking about.  We're no the first and sadly we'll no be the last..

A quote doing the rounds on social media, purporting as an excerpt from the Diary of Samuel Pepys, dated 'London 1664'...

"On hearing ill rumour that Londoners may soon be urged into their lodgings by Her Majesty’s men, I looked upon the street to see a gaggle of striplings making fair merry, and no doubt spreading the plague well about. Not a care had these rogues for the health of their elders!"

Can see why this quote is proving popular, as it mentions the threat of quarantine, irresponsible citizens flouting social distancing rules, and a lack of awareness for the more vulnerable in society. Sounds exactly like what we've all seen on the news.

But it was penned in this very year of pox and plague, March 2020. :D

16 hours ago, gdevoy said:

Really difficult to separate population density effects from cultural norms like hugging vs handshakes from how much people trust their leaders.

All will have an input, hard to quantify right now. Just pray we are right on the edge of this and it really doesnt like the cold.

If you keep having assaults on objective truth, like these despicable Tory bampots have been involved in over the past few years, don't expect people to listen when you actually need them to!

Experts? Bah humbug!! O.o

1 hour ago, Scooter said:

If you keep having assaults on objective truth, like these despicable Tory bampots have been involved in over the past few years, don't expect people to listen when you actually need them to!

Experts? Bah humbug!! O.o

Yeah, the  "we've had enough of experts" line was extraordinarily short sighted.

Thought there was close to a concession by the "Scientists" at press conf tonight who are "the best in the world", according to Boris,  that they need to be looking more at how other countries are dealing with matters. 

Also interesting that they spoke about the Oxford scientist who had said the virus could have been here a lot earlier than thought. Vallance said they just didnt know. I say this, as in early January my partner had a hell of a cough and some trouble with breathing. Coulda been flu I guess, who knows.

1 hour ago, gdevoy said:

Yeah, the  "we've had enough of experts" line was extraordinarily short sighted.

That would be bad enough but they attributed the opinion to us: 

"I think the people in this country have had enough of experts with organisations from acronyms saying that they know what is best and getting it consistently wrong." (Gove, June 2016)

2 hours ago, Shropshire_killie said:

Also interesting that they spoke about the Oxford scientist who had said the virus could have been here a lot earlier than thought. Vallance said they just didnt know. I say this, as in early January my partner had a hell of a cough and some trouble with breathing. Coulda been flu I guess, who knows.

Heard that theory earlier and it made me wonder if I had it over xmas as well. I spent 10 days in my bed and had another 2 off sick from work... and still felt ropey when I went back.

Can't ever remember a bought of the flu hitting me that hard before.

1 hour ago, chubbs said:

Heard that theory earlier and it made me wonder if I had it over xmas as well. I spent 10 days in my bed and had another 2 off sick from work... and still felt ropey when I went back.

Yes my partner said same. I didnt get it though. 

2 hours ago, chubbs said:

1 hour ago, Shropshire_killie said:

Yes my partner said same. I didnt get it though. 

The only way is to get an approved Covid-19 antibody test done . 

Can anyone that knows of people that are needlessly going to the supermarket in pairs or family groups to think twice. 

Its simpleton behaviour. Mostly couples in their 60's and 70's. I know that there are genuine reasons for some people doing it but its clearly not the majority. 

Todays Darwin award goes to an older couple. The woman trying to hold her fleece over her face with one hand and push a trolly and shop with other whilst her husband just saunters anbout hands in pockets. 

Mind blowing stupidity. 

3 minutes ago, cammy_boy said:

Can anyone that knows of people that are needlessly going to the supermarket in pairs or family groups to think twice. 

Its simpleton behaviour. Mostly couples in their 60's and 70's. I know that there are genuine reasons for some people doing it but its clearly not the majority. 

Todays Darwin award goes to an older couple. The woman trying to hold her fleece over her face with one hand and push a trolly and shop with other whilst her husband just saunters anbout hands in pockets. 

Mind blowing stupidity. 

Nearly beats the woman in dreghorn co-op holding a scarf over her face with both hands and trying to lift stuff with her elbows!

5 minutes ago, cammy_boy said:

Mind blowing stupidity. 

I think that to some extent you just have to accept that different people will have different interpretations of Boris's "crystal clear" guidance.

Went down the local Asian shop, only 2 customers allowed in at any one time, please use hand sanitisers on entry. At Morrisons people are wheeling in trolleys in clusters.

9 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

I think that to some extent you just have to accept that different people will have different interpretations of Boris's "crystal clear" guidance.

Went down the local Asian shop, only 2 customers allowed in at any one time, please use hand sanitisers on entry. At Morrisons people are wheeling in trolleys in clusters.

People are being asked at the door and are just ignoring it. In some cases giving out cheeky responses. Tannoy announcements being made to remind people not to congrigate. 

We should absolutely be cordoning off non essential areas like hardware and clothes. If anyone needs a specific thing they can ask. You shouldn't be in for a browse. People in this country have a weird addiction to supermarkets. 

To be fair the numbers of groups are falling but its still out of order.