Scaremongering or Not, Corona Virus = Nae Killie

Andy

On 3/13/2020 at 8:06 PM, bute-killiefan said:

Trump slurs his way through the announcement of a National Emergency, congratulating himself throughout, and blaming EU, Obama and Democrats. $50billion in very importly money.

Serves up Walmart, Walgreen and CVS up for some free advertising in the Rose Garden.

Mike Pence steps up to give Trump a verbal blowjob.

Trump congrats himself some more.

Trumps legacy for this crisis reminds you of Nero playing the fiddle while Rome burned

Was told told today that Killie was third top of UK list for towns hoarding toilet paper. 
I said “that’s a lot of s**te”.

Serioulsly though, there was no toilet paper left in the town centre Tescos when I was in there today.

I’m okay as my wife has a collection of Rangers fc programmes.

1 hour ago, NFL12 said:

Was told told today that Killie was third top of UK list for towns hoarding toilet paper. 
I said “that’s a lot of s**te”.

Serioulsly though, there was no toilet paper left in the town centre Tescos when I was in there today.

I’m okay as my wife has a collection of Rangers fc programmes.

Stick a tampon up yer erse and have one huuuggeee dump before bed.... or stock up on Imodium

4 hours ago, fraz65 said:

....and adopt widespread surveillance and testing, you don't control the virus and you don't stop the health system from being overwhelmed. 

How do you adopt widespread surveillance and testing without overwhelming the health system? Presumably the testers need to be qualified health professionals?

4 minutes ago, Scooby_Doo said:

How do you adopt widespread surveillance and testing without overwhelming the health system? Presumably the testers need to be qualified health professionals?

Mobile clinics not located in hospitals. Anyone can perform a nasopharyngeal swab after some training. 

On 3/15/2020 at 10:07 AM, Scooby_Doo said:

It's not something than can just be set up overnight though, which was a point I thought I had raised earlier. 

Pandemic preparation takes years. The SARS countries (Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan) had this in place to some extent prior to COVID. 

Edited by fraz65

Stuck in the house for four months, either I'm going to murder my wife or she's going to murder me. Still, no babysitting the grandkids for four months, that could be a winner. Permanent night-shift, sleep during the day, sneak out at night. "Remember when we went away for my seventieth, well I checked my birth certificate, I'm actually only sixty-nine". 

1 hour ago, EKX16 said:

My brother and sister-in-law are flying from Sydney to Dubai and then Dubai to Glasgow on Wednesday....hopefully. When they get to Dubai they will have to go through thermal screening before boarding the plane to Glasgow.

My family arrived in Melbourne today, via Dubai. They weren't screened once during the journey. They're now in self isolation for two weeks. 

On 3/13/2020 at 9:59 PM, Prahakillie said:

Govt experts seem to get the post if they'll say what the govt wants to hear/wants them to say. 

It'll be interesting to see the number of public health experts who are admitted to the House of Lords for towing the party line over this. 

It's beyond my understanding that anyone with medical knowledge and expertise in epidemiology could recommend a herd immunity policy, rather than strict social distancing. 

Herd immunity means that 60% of the population at a minimum need to be infected to stop the virus. This means around 300,000 deaths and a massive strain on the health system (beds in corridors, a lack of personal protective equipment, reverse triage of the over 65s). We don't even know whether contracting and recovering from COVID-19 confers long-term immunity. 

The overwhelming priority should be strict social distancing and widespread lockdowns, probably for the next few months. This will have to be combined with a controlled spread of the virus. 

Edited by fraz65

Something does need done about the ridiculous panic buying,  I went to aldi in inverurie yesterday to pick up a few things for my tea, and there was No tinned food apart from a half a pallet of beans, almost no cereal, no toilet roll, no pasta,  half the veg was gone, all.sox tills were.open and the number of piles high trolleys was ridiculous.   Amd it was 11am!!!!

16 minutes ago, Beaker71 said:

Something does need done about the ridiculous panic buying,  I went to aldi in inverurie yesterday to pick up a few things for my tea, and there was No tinned food apart from a half a pallet of beans, almost no cereal, no toilet roll, no pasta,  half the veg was gone, all.sox tills were.open and the number of piles high trolleys was ridiculous.   Amd it was 11am!!!!

Was in Aldi Paisley 9am this morning. Customers restricted to 4 units on all product lines. Supermarket mobbed - busiest I have ever seen it. Well stocked but you could see that supplies of toilet roll, pasta, tins, soap etc would probably run out in course of the day. Interesting that fresh product availability was the same as on a normal day.   The 4 item limit seemed to be keeping people sensible

15 minutes ago, cammy_boy said:

The supermarkets arent acting responsibly at all. Ive rasied the issue of restricting ALL products but they are loving it. 

The sight of empty shelves is panicking people further and more people are buying more stuff. 

With the expected self isolation rule for over 70s next week, this is even more important.  People who could get by are stockpiling stuff which will end up in the bin in 3 months when others could make use of it.

Those.whi are most vulnerable, the families reliant on food banks will be hit hardest. 

Christ some pharmacies are even running out of paracetamol.

Time for some restrictions being enforced with legally punitive measures to back them.

33 minutes ago, Beaker71 said:

With the expected self isolation rule for over 70s next week, this is even more important.  People who could get by are stockpiling stuff which will end up in the bin in 3 months when others could make use of it.

Those.whi are most vulnerable, the families reliant on food banks will be hit hardest. 

Christ some pharmacies are even running out of paracetamol.

Time for some restrictions being enforced with legally punitive measures to back them.

Elderly people could soon be urged to "reduce social contact" to reduce to coronavirus infection, Scotland's chief medical officer has said.

But Dr Catherine Calderwood insisted over-70s would not be asked to isolate themselves unless they were ill.

She said people in the higher risk age group might typically be expected to reduce social contact by about 75%.

Officials sought to allay concerns after the UK government said new advice could be issued "within weeks".

So no self-isolation. 

1 hour ago, Wrangodog said:

So no self-isolation. 

For now.  I reckon they're drip feeding people info, so as not to cause panic.  If you knew now you're under quarantine for 2 weeks in 2 weeks, it's worse than finding out a couple of days before.

1 hour ago, RAG said:

For now.  I reckon they're drip feeding people info, so as not to cause panic.  If you knew now you're under quarantine for 2 weeks in 2 weeks, it's worse than finding out a couple of days before.

There appears to be a different message coming from the UK government than from the Scottish one. 

33 minutes ago, Wrangodog said:

There appears to be a different message coming from the UK government than from the Scottish one. 

It's a different health service, so they might have a different way of dealing with it.  Enlgand's more of a town/city population distribution, one of densest populated countries in the world, especially around London, where it most probably will spread faster than in Scotland - in Highland region as an extreme example, there's still only 2 cases.

Edited by RAG

3 hours ago, RAG said:

I recon we are talking 3 months not 2 weeks. How 't government are going to implement this I dont know. I dont think they know either.