So...what do we do now?

dasboag

next appointment  

304 members have voted

1. 1. If you had to choose between the two options below on how to take us forward, what would you go with?

• Appoint Alex Dyer, possibly retain all of current squad, 3-5 signings in the summer. Possible top 6 20/21 season but old squad.
    • Appoint New manager, probably lose SOD, Brophy, Findlay, Dicker, Broadfoot (again). Full squad rebuild and major transitional 20/21 season

Killie definitely seem to be very 'cliquey' these days if the various stories over this season are to be believed.  I would suggest that any player questions in the media around the possible appointment of Alex Dyer seem to reinforce that suggestion.

That being the case, if you had to choose between offering the job to Alex Dyer, and possibly retaining big players for a bit - would you be happy?

Or should we look to draw a line under the Steve Clarke/Alex Dyer era and look to do a complete overhaul of the squad, cash in where necessary/possible etc?

What do we reckon? 

I'm not convinced we'll lose of all the players mentioned if we appoint someone else. I'm of the opinion Dyer is not the right man to take us forward, and we should be looking to make a decision on that very soon. I am willing to be proved wrong though, and suspect the board will offer him the position.

Dyer's record has been reasonable since getting the job permanently at Christmas. If he gets wins against St Mirren and Hamilton then I'd say he's made a good go at the recovery after our freefall period pre-Christmas. If we get wins in these games I'd be more than happy to see him get the job. He seems to have a good relationship with the players, he seems to have a good relationship with Fowler and he has us performing well again even through a rough run of fixtures recently. Should we have had a few more points? Probably, but it's been an undeniable improvement in performance than where we were before the break.

...If we walk away with 0 points from the next two games then I retract any of the positives.

At the moment I still don’t think Dyer is the man for the job. He’s got a far better case for it now than when he was given it on a temp basis though.

The reality IMO is however that our opinion means f**k all. Going by the AGM last week and Bowie’s comments after it they are just waiting on the right time to announce it. Had we gone through in the cup or been sitting level with Hibs I think he’d have it already. 

13 minutes ago, Sandman396 said:

What is your interpretation?

My interpretation is we keep Dyer and preferrably, our best players like Brophy, SOD & Findlay then add to that in the summer as opposed to basically tearing it up and starting afresh.

We've had enough of rebuilding each year under previous managers prior to SC to know how risky that can be.

Edited by C4mmy31

10 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

My interpretation is we keep Dyer and preferrably, our best players like Brophy, SOD & Findlay then add to that in the summer as opposed to basically tearing it up and starting afresh.

We've had enough of rebuilding each year under previous managers prior to SC to know how risky that can be.

I don't think any of those three will be there next season even if Dyer is here. SOD hasn't signed a new contract and other two will have 12 months left and we cannot afford to lose them for nowt.

So on that basis, I'd rather we actually got a manager in that can build their own team.

31 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Poll is a waste of time.

Why would we lose all our best players if we don't appoint Dyer?

Likelihood is we'll lose Findlay/SOD/Brophy in summer regardless of who the manager is.

Totally agree, and the longer we dither before committing one way or another more players may choose not to re-sign and will go leaving a major squad rebuild. 

Daft poll, the scenarios are both unlikely. SoD will leave regardless, we have to sell Brophy or risk losing him in a pre-contract in the winter. Unless Dyer doesn't want the job or we free fall he will be the manager next season. Can see this being a long term haul with young players being brought through and sold. Whether Dyer is the right man or not long term I'm not sure. 

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Poll is a waste of time.

Why would we lose all our best players if we don't appoint Dyer?

Likelihood is we'll lose Findlay/SOD/Brophy in summer regardless of who the manager is.

Other than the appointment itself, the reality is clearly not going to be one of the poll extremes - but that's why I asked.

Keen to see if people would prefer to start afresh, or make the Dyer appointment based on the risk that most of our big players might stay on because they are 'comfortable' here.

It's pretty clear to me though that if we don't appoint Dyer, many of the players will leave based on what happened last summer and the associated hissy-fits.

For me, really like Dyer - but we need to start again.

It will mean most likely signing a back 5 for next season though

Edited by dasboag

1 hour ago, Sandman396 said:

So far 68% want to see a continuance of the poor football currently on display?

That is disappointingly unsurprising of the Killie fanbase.

Our mascot should be an ostrich and there should be a sandpit on the sidelines at RP for it to bury it's head in!!

I would say some of the football we have played recently has been pretty decent - especially given the very small squad of players and that some of them are almost running on empty and may well be required to play when not less than fully fit as we have no alternatives

39 minutes ago, Wrangodog said:

Daft poll, the scenarios are both unlikely. SoD will leave regardless, we have to sell Brophy or risk losing him in a pre-contract in the winter. Unless Dyer doesn't want the job or we free fall he will be the manager next season. Can see this being a long term haul with young players being brought through and sold. Whether Dyer is the right man or not long term I'm not sure. 

Agree. SOD will go, we will get an offer from Brophy and accept (hopefully it will be a good one but I do have the feeling that the board are pretty much open to all offers) and if Findlay continues to progress over the next months and maybe gets the chance to add a couple more international appearances he could be off as well.

Whoever gets the job will have a massive re-building exercise on their hands. The team that starts the season in August could be very different to the one that started this season.

15 minutes ago, historyman said:

Whoever gets the job will have a massive re-building exercise on their hands. The team that starts the season in August could be very different to the one that started this season.

For this reason I think it’s best we get the job sorted ASAP. Ideally the board will have made a decision on Dyer by the split. If it is Dyer get it announced and we know where we stand. If it’s not Dyer then we have to aim to have the next manager in the building at the very latest the day after the last game of the season.

The aim must also be to have the bulk of the squad in place before pre season starts. The operating late in windows worked for Clarke but it’s let us down badly since

Very strange options for the poll. Would we lose players who are tied down on multi-year contracts if Dyer doesn't get the job?

If a new manager saw Dicker, Broadfoot throw their toys out the pram (again), I'd happily see them leave. 

Board needs to show some backbone here and not take the cheap, easy route. Appoint a manager, and back him properly

11 minutes ago, bute-killiefan said:

Very strange options for the poll. Would we lose players who are tied down on multi-year contracts if Dyer doesn't get the job?

If a new manager saw Dicker, Broadfoot throw their toys out the pram (again), I'd happily see them leave. 

Board needs to show some backbone here and not take the cheap, easy route. Appoint a manager, and back him properly

100 % Agree....... but , sadly, don't think it will happen.