So...what do we do now?

dasboag

next appointment  

304 members have voted

1. 1. If you had to choose between the two options below on how to take us forward, what would you go with?

• Appoint Alex Dyer, possibly retain all of current squad, 3-5 signings in the summer. Possible top 6 20/21 season but old squad.
    • Appoint New manager, probably lose SOD, Brophy, Findlay, Dicker, Broadfoot (again). Full squad rebuild and major transitional 20/21 season

25 minutes ago, Jedi2 said:

I think a lot of folk had made their mind up that it shouldn't be Dyer when he was appointed, and even had we beaten Aberdeen in the Cup, beaten Hibs recently etc (yes, we didn't so 'the point becomes moot' etc) it wouldn't have changed anything.

I wasn't convinced when he appointed either, as it looked like a lazy option by the board, and clearly a couple of early performances against St.Mirren and St.Johnstone didn't auger well. However....the players are currently busting a gut, they are also playing a lot of good football, the first 40 minutes last night being a prime example. Tbh we look more 'entertaining' now than we did even with SC. Clearly SC made the team harder to beat, but we were never as adventurous going forward. 'If' AD had been backed in the window, and 'if' he had actual substitutes who he was able to bring on to change games, it would be a clearer picture, but he wasn't and he hasn't, in terms of having impact subs to call on.

The performances now are night and day from the start of January. Most if not all managers take time to get their own ideas across, AD is moving in the right direction. Is it perfect....no, but the signs are much more encouraging. 

If he were to be offered and accepted the job over the next month or so, it would provide stability at a much needed time, and hopefully allow Fowler to start moving on pre-contracts and proper targets this time around. If it isn't AD, we are truly back to square one, and I fear a repeat of last summer's horror show, with a new manager coming in late, and scrabbling around for players.

AD isn't currently a lazy option as it appeared in December. He has moved the style of play forward in a more positive direction, and is clearly bringing out every last ounce of effort from the players. With a bit more luck and better defending at times, we would probably be looking forward to a Cup semi-final, and be right down the necks of the likes of Hibs and Livi.....its small margins. 

I would agree to a certain extent, but we are now hitting a run of fixtures against teams that we have dropped points against and who we will have to beat if we are to be in the top six regularly. Attractive football doesn't matter if you don't convert it into points or Cup wins. Last night, Hibs game, and Cup game were just as frustrating as a 0-0 draw. 

Agreed.

But it’s the small margins that make all the difference. Clarke was good at getting on the right side of the small margins.

I remember way back playing great football under Willie Fernie and Davie Sneddon but the results weren’t that great as we were too attacking. Clarke had us defending much better than we are now probably through a more rigid set up than AD employs.

AA was completely defensive and would have killed football as an entertainment, similar to McInnes.

Don’t get too carried away with the attacking football angle. We had 10 mins out of 90 trying to attack at Celtic Park. Barring suspension and injury Weds nights team would never have been selected as more defensive midfielders would’ve taken their place - as they have all season. 

Going two up top has improved us but we’re not what anyone would call gung-ho as a result. 

12 hours ago, historyman said:

I would say some of the football we have played recently has been pretty decent - especially given the very small squad of players and that some of them are almost running on empty and may well be required to play when not less than fully fit as we have no alternatives

A very sad reality of our pathetic recruitment policy this season

17 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Poll is a waste of time.

Why would we lose all our best players if we don't appoint Dyer?

Likelihood is we'll lose Findlay/SOD/Brophy in summer regardless of who the manager is.

Yep 100% agree, those above are not the only two options, why would we lose Brophy and Findlay if Dyer left, or even SOD, these players signed before Dyer was even at the club. 

If those first two go then its because we have accepted bids for them, nothing to do with the manager. 

I'd like the club to go through a full recruitment process for the best manager and then take it from there.

Also the 'possible top 6' with Dyer, why wouldn't this be possible under the other option. 

The poll should be whether you want Dyer or a new manager, without complete guesswork which will influence opinions.

Edited by Gaz of the 20/20

Dyer has the makings of a good manager on the grounds that he has us beating the Huns and has the measure of Dons, Hearts and Hibs - all evidenced in only six months. We have the beating of them. Where does that leave us - with some half decent additions to the squad ? Potential 2nd in the League ? Europe ? Cup semi-finals and finals ? Killie players in Scotland Dark Blue ?

FWIW watching the Killie managers chair being placed in a revolving door at TTOP with dorks like Jeffries, Calderwood, Locke, McCulloch & Clark in the job in the last twenty years I voted for continuity. Let Alex settle in. Let the squad settle down. Change for change sake in order to achieve the Instant Gratification of Cheeks fans is not good.  

They are not the only two choices so poll is pointless.

Key thing is to have a manager in place before next transfer window that players know has the authority to sign them and that players can buy into his vision .

personally I am not sure that is AD but it needs to be sorted well on advance of the window. 

41 minutes ago, BILL97 said:

Dyer has the makings of a good manager on the grounds that he has us beating the Huns and has the measure of Dons, Hearts and Hibs - all evidenced in only six months. We have the beating of them. Where does that leave us - with some half decent additions to the squad ? Potential 2nd in the League ? Europe ? Cup semi-finals and finals ? Killie players in Scotland Dark Blue ?

FWIW watching the Killie managers chair being placed in a revolving door at TTOP with dorks like Jeffries, Calderwood, Locke, McCulloch & Clark in the job in the last twenty years I voted for continuity. Let Alex settle in. Let the squad settle down. Change for change sake in order to achieve the Instant Gratification of Cheeks fans is not good.  

You've just contradicted yourself there.

On one hand you're saying change for changes sake is fans demanding instant gratification like old firm fans, then on same post suggest Dyer would somehow have us challenging for 2nd!

Appointing a manger based on a mediocre trial period, without even inviting folk to apply for the job is bonkers IMO. Dyer may well finish the season well and deserve the job but as it stands we'd be foolish to just offer it and not even consider alternatives.

I love Dyer, he's a great guy but not convinced long term he's the right option.

7 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

You've just contradicted yourself there.

On one hand you're saying change for changes sake is fans demanding instant gratification like old firm fans, then on same post suggest Dyer would somehow have us challenging for 2nd!

Appointing a manger based on a mediocre trial period, without even inviting folk to apply for the job is bonkers IMO. Dyer may well finish the season well and deserve the job but as it stands we'd be foolish to just offer it and not even consider alternatives.

I love Dyer, he's a great guy but not convinced long term he's the right option.

I'm saying, given continuity, Dyer can build on evidenced positive potential. I see more positives than negatives in the last six months.