Janey Godley

Did anyone else see her at the Grand Hall on Thursday night? Very very funny. I know the voice-over stuff is probably what she is best known for, but personally I would have preferred less of it and more stand-up because I think her observational comedy is excellent and the tales from her life hilarious- the story of being in first class on the London-Glasgow train was my particular favourite.

Her autobiography "Handstands In The Dark" is worth a read as well.

On 3/7/2020 at 5:53 AM, DuncanEwart said:

Did anyone else see her at the Grand Hall on Thursday night? Very very funny. I know the voice-over stuff is probably what she is best known for, but personally I would have preferred less of it and more stand-up because I think her observational comedy is excellent and the tales from her life hilarious- the story of being in first class on the London-Glasgow train was my particular favourite.

Her autobiography "Handstands In The Dark" is worth a read as well.

She’s as funny as an open grave. Acts the common wee woman, but sent her kid to a private school to avoid the plebs.

On 3/10/2020 at 5:10 PM, EKX16 said:

Not my cuppa tea Duncan but she seems to sell out the venues where she appears. I suppose each to their own.

She's certainly a love her or loathe her type of figure, EKX16- that's for sure, and one that attracts a great deal of vitriol, especially on Twitter (there was a #canceljaneygodley campaign in the new year organised by men with, as she puts it, "football accounts"), and I don't know if this is because of her gender or her politics or both, but that was certainly the inference when she mentioned it.

I think it is great that someone who has been told to shut up throughout her life (as many of us have, to be fair,- by parents, teachers, peers, police, gaffers and politicians) now makes a living standing on stage talking. 

On 3/10/2020 at 10:50 AM, Mclean07 said:

She’s as funny as an open grave. Acts the common wee woman, but sent her kid to a private school to avoid the plebs.

8 hours ago, Mclean07 said:

Yes. Go on, let’s have your follow up. If it’s a Labour person, the yes, they’re hypocrites.

Janey Godley's life reads like a Victorian Gothic novel- sexually abused by her uncle, her mother murdered, married young to a man with violent mood swings who wasn't diagnosed with autism until later in life and whose family hated her and were not shy in telling her and finding ways to show her (her brothers-in-law used to spit at her daughter, for example). Personally, I don't think she can "act the common wee woman" because there is nothing common about her. In fact, of all the women I have met in my life, there is not one I would label as such.

Janey Godley is not "a Labour person"....as a self proclaimed "Hammer of the Nats", I wonder if this has anything to do with your disdain for her?

Edited by DuncanEwart

2 hours ago, DuncanEwart said:

Janey Godley's life reads like a Victorian Gothic novel- sexually abused by her uncle, her mother murdered, married young to a man with violent mood swings who wasn't diagnosed with autism until later in life and whose family hated her and were not shy in telling her and finding ways to show her (her brothers-in-law used to spit at her daughter, for example). Personally, I don't think she can "act the common wee woman" because there is nothing common about her. In fact, of all the women I have met in my life, there is not one I would label as such.

Janey Godley is not "a Labour person"....as a self proclaimed "Hammer of the Nats", I wonder if this has anything to do with your disdain for her?

I’ve read her book. Sad life, but that’s her act. She plays into the wee Glesca wummin image, and despite your moral high ground stuff, I suspect you know fine what I mean. So I think given her “progressive” politics and her act, she was a hypocrite trying to buy advantage for her own family. Same with her Trump protest.  I despiseTrump, but she just demeaned herself with her crudity and the use of the profanity women hate most. No wonder her kid had to go to a private school, if that was the example she got at home. I think the exact same of any Labour person who dies the same. Over and above that shouting in a Scottish accent doesn’t equal humour. I like plenty of comedians whom I don’t think I would agree with politically. Funnily enough, I expressed this view in Twitter a few months ago, and got a pile on with Nats defending private education like the most rabid Tory. She also chipped in saying she had worked hard and sacrificed to send her there. Classic Tory defence. She can do what she wants with her money, just don’t claim to be progressive and kid us with your act. So much for egalitarian Scotland. Her politics do affect my opinion of her, but not being SNP, it’s her claiming to be progressive. They don’t affect my opinion of her humour, at all.

Edited by Mclean07

4 hours ago, DuncanEwart said:

She's certainly a love her or loathe her type of figure, EKX16- that's for sure, and one that attracts a great deal of vitriol, especially on Twitter (there was a #canceljaneygodley campaign in the new year organised by men with, as she puts it, "football accounts"), and I don't know if this is because of her gender or her politics or both, but that was certainly the inference when she mentioned it.

I think it is great that someone who has been told to shut up throughout her life (as many of us have, to be fair,- by parents, teachers, peers, police, gaffers and politicians) now makes a living standing on stage talking. 

Yes I have read about her and there is no doubt that Janey has had a horrible life which I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. I found some of her early voiceovers amusing. Janey certainly doesn't deserve the abuse she's getting.

6 hours ago, EKX16 said:

Yes I have read about her and there is no doubt that Janey has had a horrible life which I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. I found some of her early voiceovers amusing. Janey certainly doesn't deserve the abuse she's getting.

I totally agree with you- I found the earlier voice overs amusing as well, but as I said there were a bit too many for me last Thursday night.

There are many many comedians I don't find remotely funny but who sell out arenas the length and breadth of the country. As you said above, "each to their own"- it would be an odd world if we all found the same things funny.

19 hours ago, Mclean07 said:

I’ve read her book. Sad life, but that’s her act. She plays into the wee Glesca wummin image, and despite your moral high ground stuff, I suspect you know fine what I mean. So I think given her “progressive” politics and her act, she was a hypocrite trying to buy advantage for her own family. Same with her Trump protest.  I despiseTrump, but she just demeaned herself with her crudity and the use of the profanity women hate most. No wonder her kid had to go to a private school, if that was the example she got at home. I think the exact same of any Labour person who dies the same. Over and above that shouting in a Scottish accent doesn’t equal humour. I like plenty of comedians whom I don’t think I would agree with politically. Funnily enough, I expressed this view in Twitter a few months ago, and got a pile on with Nats defending private education like the most rabid Tory. She also chipped in saying she had worked hard and sacrificed to send her there. Classic Tory defence. She can do what she wants with her money, just don’t claim to be progressive and kid us with your act. So much for egalitarian Scotland. Her politics do affect my opinion of her, but not being SNP, it’s her claiming to be progressive. They don’t affect my opinion of her humour, at all.

I really don't think you of all people should be accusing anyone of "moral high ground stuff"- have some self awareness, sir.

It seems she attracts criticism from both ends of the political spectrum- that's some going for a "wee Glesca wummin". Good on her.

• 1 month later...