Gary Holt

Killiepies

6 minutes ago, Ngonge88 said:

This is the biggest thing of the lot. I would honestly get Holt in, and let him hunt any player that doesn't want to he there. 

It’s not the players not wanting to be here. They want to be here as some of them seem to be ruling the roost, have power and don’t appear to fear the manager. One thing said about Clarke was that the players didn’t know where they were with him which kept them on their toes.

Whoever comes in needs to stamp authority on the club but they can only do so with options to replace some of the players that aren’t performing and appear undropable.

Dyer seems the epitome of the good with the players assistant manager. He was good at this role with Clarke above him who kept his distance and had the players on their toes. Has he changed and adapted to his new role. Are the players too familiar with him to change their behaviour. He may make a good manager but I have my doubts it will be here. 

Not many examples of assistant managers being successful at the club where they were promoted to manager with the same squad of players. Certainty hasn’t worked for us.

Edited by MarkyMark

40 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Name them. 

I'll be happy if it's Holt, but I do still have the same concerns as last summer. The fact our recruitment is utterly s**t means I'd like to bring in a manager who has contacts in a particular market. I do still think there will be managers wanting to try and copy what Clarke did with us who would be interesting. I really hope we interview. 

I'd take Holt ina heartbeat knows what best for the club. Would go to BB and fow saying I want him. Rather than what about him.

The thing tat seemed to hold him back when AA got sacked was apparently his son who didnt want to deal with stick at school. Plus he lives in killie.

But his tactics are identical to that of Clarke's tactics. Defend to then hit them on the counter. 1 problem that is he plays with 11 in the box when defending.

Negatives aside his win rate at livi as been brilliant for what resources they have. Hes beaten and drew with Celtic this season.

Hes 100%man for the job with AL D assistant. Donati can stay if he wants

1 hour ago, charlie1 said:

As a player here at RP a legend, as a guy top notch , as a manager at RP not at present thank you . too many letting nostalgia rule their thinking , far better managers out there if the board would get their respective fingers out . 

Not in our budget there isn't. Tommy Wright, but St. Johnstone have him on a contract we couldn't afford to buy out. 

1 hour ago, Pride_of_ayrshire said:

I'd take Holt ina heartbeat knows what best for the club. Would go to BB and fow saying I want him. Rather than what about him.

The thing tat seemed to hold him back when AA got sacked was apparently his son who didnt want to deal with stick at school. Plus he lives in killie.

But his tactics are identical to that of Clarke's tactics. Defend to then hit them on the counter. 1 problem that is he plays with 11 in the box when defending.

Negatives aside his win rate at livi as been brilliant for what resources they have. Hes beaten and drew with Celtic this season.

WE CANNOT FORCE DYER ON ANOTHER MANAGER! 

How little have we learnt

3 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Name them. 

Nathan Jones, Alan Curbishley, Alan Pardew (employed at similar level to us), John Hughes, Nigel Adkins.

I wanted Gary Holt in summer (not a popular choice on here) but it doesn’t mean he’s the only option. There are lots of good managers out there looking for a route in.

Nigel Adkins I feel is exactly the type we should go for: stable, successful and commands respect.

2 hours ago, Pride_of_ayrshire said:

with AL D assistant. Donati can stay if he wants

No chance, no-one who has been installed as permanent manager steps back to assistant at the same club.

We forced AD onto AA and we have to realise as much as he's a nice guy, it totally undermines the new manager with the players

20 minutes ago, Wee_Eck1979 said:

No chance, no-one who has been installed as permanent manager steps back to assistant at the same club.

We forced AD onto AA and we have to realise as much as he's a nice guy, it totally undermines the new manager with the players

Dyer isnt permanent. He was given the job on a interm basis till the summer. Same as what McCulloch was after lee clark left.

49 minutes ago, Ngonge88 said:

WE CANNOT FORCE DYER ON ANOTHER MANAGER! 

How little have we learnt

Spot on. I’d go even further and allow our next manager to release our Captain too. Not because I don’t think he can still do a job for us, but because the next manager needs to stamp his authority on that dressing room and show nobody is irreplaceable.

I also think Fowler should make a limited time final offer to SOD, and if he isn’t signing give  Millen a run of games to prove he’s good enough to keep the jersey or if he needs hunted too. We need more competition for places in the squad. It’s far more difficult to establish a clique if players are always looking over their shoulder at the guy after their place in the team. 

We need to appoint a manager with knowledge of the Scottish game and who also has experience from down south as that is where we are likely to source players from. Holt fits that bill. He also has experience of working with youth players. 

There isn’t much success with managers coming in from England or elsewhere who don’t know the game here so going for the likes of Powell, Atkins etc is a risk even if we could afford them. 

Tommy Wright or Stephen Robinson may not have played or managed in Scotland prior to their appointments but they have knowledge of the game here and Northern Ireland is similar culturally to Scotland. 

The issue we have is that there haven’t been that many Scottish managers who have been successful down south recently so the choice is thin.

I think Jack Ross would have been a good appointment if we could have afforded him or he wanted to come as he fits the bill.

Edited by MarkyMark

3 hours ago, Pride_of_ayrshire said:

A lot of sense until the last bit. IMO Dyer should not have been forced on Alessio. It should have been his choice if he wanted him or another. Dyer staying was another constant reference to the previous regime when we needed to move on. Aside from the goalkeeper coach was AA allowed his own staff. Dyer was forced upon him and rumours Pasca was approached before Donati for the coaching role. 

For me the club should not be dictating to a manager who is on their staff. In terms of physios, sports science etc that should be in place but Assistant, coach and gk coach has to be the managers choice.

2 minutes ago, piffer said:

For me the club should not be dictating to a manager who is on their staff. In terms of physios, sports science etc that should be in place but Assistant coach and gk coach has to be the managers choice.

Exactly. Last time, we heard the nonsense that "If a manager's any good, he should be able to work with anybody"!